Hello from Scotland..

A couple of years ago a got the GT40 bug from our builder who gave me a spin in his which he had built from a Tornado kit. I decided I just had to have one! Two years of accumulated 'brownie points' from my wife and I am now the proud owner of a Tornado chassis, body panels and a big bags of bits, or at least I will be in a day or two once the transporter gets to my house.

This site seems to be the best that I have come across for all things GT40 and there would appear to be an awful lot of people out there who know a thing or two about building and running GT40's. It will probably take me around two years to build the car and I am hoping that I can call on the experience of this forum through my build. My knowledge of cars to date is limited to the use of WD40, a hammer, and a quick kick of the tyres when it all goes pear shaped so this will be an interesting challenge. That said, the Tornado kit and the manual seems to be very comprehensive, and with the help of this forum I am sure I'll muddle through.

Looking forward to it.

Welcome to the community Ian, Good luck with your build, you are doing something that i would love to do, if i had the time, space, resources, money, understanding partner blah blah. . . . . . . . . I had to buy a 'ready made' one.

You will find this site an invaluable source of information, just use the search function to find answers to topics that have already been covered.

Will you be keeping a build diary on this site? If so, we like to see plenty of pictures :thumbsup:

Jas

Ian,
Welcome to the best forum on cars anywhere. The knowledge of the collective group is amazing. I am sure that you can get any level of help from these guys that you need. Congratulations!
Garry

Welcome Ian,

You are more high-tech than Jack.....he uses a hammer and Vaseline rather than WD40. So you will be ahead of the game.

"If it's not Scottish it's Crrrap!", Mike Myers - Saturday Night Live

Where about in Scotland are you from? I am in the process of building a KVA that has been in progress for a few years by other owners.

Canny be many ae us up here building a forty??

Thanks for the messages and support. I'll see if I can post a few pics as I go.

Got the kit last Friday. Its upside down now waiting for me to start the underside panelling, but havent managed yet to find the time?! This weekend maybe?

Robin/Stew, I am located a few miles north of Oldmeldrum, which is around 18 miles north of Aberdeen.

Cheers

Ian, Like the others let me welcome you aboard. I spent some time up in Scotland and fell in love with a wee lassie and the stunning country side. I now live in a small village in central Florida. Alas, the wee lassie is wee no longer and I've moved on. But I'll not forget my days and er, nights with her One thing you'll have are the spectacular roads in your area. The roads out my way are flat and fast but those in your area are scenic and twisty...fantastic in a GT40. Good luck...the road beckons.

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Ian,
welcome to the forum, bitten by the bug and lovin it it seems.
Looks like there will be enough for a Scottish enthusiasts club division soon.
Alas you are a long way from me in Falkirk area.
Good luck with your build and hope to see you going round Knockhill when you're done:)

Dave

Knockhill will be on the plan for me. Hopefully by next summer. Raced and rallied there a few times but as you know the weather there seems to be a climate of its own. I have actually seen snow there in June!!!

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Hi Robin,
I know what you mean about the Knockhill climate, 'If you can't see the hill, it's because it's raining, if you can see the hill it's because it's about to rain.:)
I used to mechanic for a friend in FF1600, we were testing one day in March, went into the garage for a tea and roll, then 1hr later we came out to be surprised by the 6" of snow that had fallen.

Keep in touch and let me know your plan.

Dave

Hi Ian

Just come across your thread. I'm in Inverurie and have been a GT40 fan since the late 60s when I had a Gulf Scalextric car. Would love to come by some time to see how you're getting on with the build. Send me a PM if you wouldn't mind me having a nose around now and again. Would dearly love to build a Tornado kit but daily life seems to constantly get in the way so it'll have to wait until I retire which can't come soon enough for my liking !

Hi Ian

Congatulations from one new member to another!

You are very brave, I would love to do what you are doing but I just don't have the time or the patience for it I'm afraid, I bought one already completed, a GTD with an SDS racing engine 5Litre, wow what a beast!

Like you, I have always wanted a GT40 and at 48 I have finaly managed to afford one, bliss, my life is complete.

Welcome to best forum site in the world, everone here is really nice, helpful and know their onions! you sholud have no problems seeking and getting good advice.

Cheers

Aidan

Back