you left the door open

and I snuck in.

I hope non-owners are welcome; I've driven quite a few GT40s and MKIIs over the years but never owned one.

Grew up in the rural south in the sixties, where auto racing meant NASCARE or dragsters; an interest in sport cars and F1 immediately labeled me an oddball. And, being a Ford fan, what car did I lust for?

First raced in summer of '70, an SCCA jr event; started fourth, finished fourth, in a Mini Cooper. From then on gladly accepted seat time in anything, anytime, anywhere. Somehow found time for three college degrees, marriage, divorce, owned or partnered in four businesses, and worked as everything from assembly line slave to museum curator to project engineer. But I was happiest on track, didn't even have to be racing, just let me get out there and drive.

But ...nothing lasts forever. The dismal iniquities of age dictated that I could no longer handle a car competitively, so now I just watch (and get a pathetic Walter Mitty enjoyment of racing sims on my computer).

So, I'll lurk here and get vicarious enjoyment of my favorite car.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Welcome to GT40's JG...

We've got a lot here for you to ponder! :)

Thank you.

I don't recall when I last saw Moon eyes, but that feels like home. Appears to be quite a bit of reading to do here, which certainly beats staring at the idiot box.

And I still recall the hubris of a seventeen year old, with aspirations of Porsches and Ferraris, looking at his first Mini and thinking "what the hell is that?! It's certainly not a race car!"

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
"But ...nothing lasts forever. The dismal iniquities of age......?"

If you feel old, you get old.
Welcome

Last edited:
JG,

Welcome! I too am a "gray-pelt" but I still enjoy "gentleman racing" at the track. This is a great forum and I look forward to your contributions.

Welcome JG!
You'll get a bit older if you read all in here, but it its interesting and enjoyable. Like you say, it beats staring at the box.

Dave, your only as old as the person you feel!!
Kind regards, Gus.

Good to see you JG. I am 66 going on 30, I recently sold a Kirkham cobra with a 717hp stroked aluminum 427. I'm building a RCR SLC with a LS7. I intend to get some track time with this car. At some point, I suppose I will be unable to do these things. There will be a lot of kicking and screaming!

Al,
I feel your pain. Building these creations takes time of which some of us are running out of it. There never seems to be enough of it. So we work with what we have. I too want to get some track time in before the limitations of age set in. The problem is that you have other things that need to be done as well. So we work on and someday get them fininshed. Mine is so close, but somehow it gets dragged out. If I didn't have recertification boards in two months, I would be finished. But then something else would come up I'm sure.

Bill

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Welcome on board. You'll get your fill of build posting here, so much so, you'll get a fire lit under you to build "something".

Since "you left the door open", and some of the postings are about our ages, I just received this and thought it fit. You will find there is a lot of humor in this site and little spitefulness(even in politics).

Chocolate Ice Cream:

One day I had lunch with some friends. Jim, a short, balding golfer type about 80 years old, came along with them---all in all, a pleasant bunch.

When the menus were presented, we ordered salads, sandwiches, and soups, except for Jim who said, "Ice Cream, please. Two scoops, chocolate.

I wasn't sure my ears heard right, and the others were aghast. "Along with heated apple pie," Jim added, completely unabashed.

We tried to act quite nonchalant, as if people did this all the time.. But when our orders were brought out, I didn't enjoy mine.

I couldn't take my eyes off Jim as his pie a-la-mode went down. The other guys couldn't believe it. They ate their lunches silently and grinned.

The next time I went out to eat, I called and invited Jim. I lunched on white meat tuna. He ordered a parfait. I smiled. He asked if he amused me I answered, "Yes, you do, but also you confuse me.

How come you order rich desserts, while I feel I must be sensible? He laughed and said "I'm tasting all that is possible.

I try to eat the food I need, and do the things I should. But life's so short, my friend, I hate missing out on something good.

This year I realized how old I was. (He grinned) I haven't been this old before." "So, before I die, I've got to try those things that for years I had ignored. I haven't smelled all the flowers yet. There are too many trout streams I haven't fished. There's more fudge sundaes to wolf down and kites to be flown overhead.

There are too many golf courses I haven't played. I've not laughed at all the jokes. I've missed a lot of sporting events and potato chips and cokes.

I want to wade again in water and feel ocean spray on my face. I want peanut butter every day spread on my morning toast. I want un-timed long distance calls to the folks I love the most.

I haven't cried at all the movies yet, or walked in the morning rain. I need to feel wind on my face. I want to be in love again.

So, if I choose to have dessert, instead of having dinner, then should I die before night fall, I'd say I died a winner, because I missed out on nothing. I filled my heart's desire. I had that final chocolate mousse before my life expired..
With that, I called the waitress over.. "I've changed my mind, " I said. "I want what he is having, only add some more whipped cream!"

Live well, love much & laugh often - Be happy.

Be mindful that happiness isn't based on possessions, power, or prestige, but on relationships with people we like and respect. Remember that while money talks, CHOCOLATE ICE CREAM SINGS!

Bill

If you feel old, you get old. ...

That's the problem, I don't feel old (except for those occasions when, tying my shoes, my feet seem much more difficult to reach than I remember; and I still don't recognize that old fart in the mirror). In my mind's eye I'm still that scrawny, long haired, 26 year old tossing cars around Road Atlanta with wild abandon; lots of opposite lock, always near the redline, occasional tire squeals - doing all the things which made the cognoscente shake their heads ...and laughing in my helmet at having so much fun.

"Gusmo> You'll get a bit older if you read all in here..."

I'll get a bit older even if I don't. So I lurk ...and read. Might even toss out a thought now and then (though consensus is I have few to spare).

"Al> At some point, I suppose I will be unable to do these things. There will be a lot of kicking and screaming!"

"Do not go gentle into that goodnight..." It was a quiet realization for me. I no longer have the reflexes to drive as I once did, and I know no other style. Also became increasingly aware of the scarcity and value of some of the cars with which I was entrusted. Driving such cars is like making love - if you're not going to push her to the edge, it's time to get out of the cockpit. (pardon the pun)

wbmusarra -

Nice anecdote. Though you're definitely preaching to the choir now. I've had such an attitude all my life; doesn't endear you to employers ...or wives ...or business partners. But I guarantee I've enjoyed life more than all of them combined.

JG, may I add my welcome too, with a sub note that if you used to race minis and are now moving to GT40s you might not need such quick reaction times, just "wait for the straight" and then punch the go faster pedal, watch the minis disappear behind you:lol:

... now moving to GT40s...

How I wish. In reality it's just the opposite. Drove a GT40 for the first time around '77 or '78 at Road Atlanta, the last time in '96 at Mid-Ohio. (That's me in my avatar, with #1012, summer of '91 or '92.)

Haven't been on track in nearly four years.

Back