been lurking for years.....

Hello gt40s, I have been a member for years on the site just popping in and out every now and again to keep my gt40 interest alive.

I am now in a position to make my dream come true.

I have always (over 30 years) loved kit cars, I have always loved the GT40, its shape, power and racing performance.

I have built a Lotus 7 replica....well sort of replica. It was a locost and that required the builder to build the kit before building the car. I learnt a hole load of new skills and made some mistakes.

I am now going to do some research on kits, engine/gbox combos and build advice.

I would like to build a fairly standard looking car, a slite modern take on the classic and a modern v8 and box.

Would be happy to use a Rover V8 but fancy something like a BMW or maybe even an Audi .

Obviously need to research before spending. I plan on doing most work myself not so much to save cash but to learn from doing the build.

I have a full set of tools in my garage and the newest of these is to have just installed a 3 phase power source to work my recently aquired second hand 4 post ramp, which is squeezed into my single garage. I have plans in with planning at the moment for a garage extension too.

I am serious about this build and have permission from Mrs Gitt too.

So let the research begin. Any advise on kit and engine/box combo much appreciated.

I am based in central Scotland, any of the gt40'er in the Falkirk area?

Hi and welcome. The wife and I were over in Scotland a couple of years ago, and I took a train trip to Falkirk to visit the Falkirk Wheel on the canal there. What an amazing piece of engineering.
In terms of engines, I agree with Bill; the car will be worth more with a Ford, and they are cheap and plentiful in Oz at least (not sure about Scotland), and there's a ton of info on this forum about Ford engines to assist you.
The most significant point, probably, is your permission from Mrs Gitt.
Way to go.

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Hi, Ewan, welcome
I assume that name is correct, off the URL in your message. Didn't seem to work tho.
Anyway, I am only a few miles out of Falkirk, in the 'UFO capital of the world' although things sem to have calmed down a bit now:laugh:
As Ian said, I have a red DAX with a 302, currently I have the engine out to upgrade the camshaft, but hope to be back on the road in a few weeks. Look forward to seeing your build thread. Feel free to pm me.

Dave

Hi Ewan (assumed as per above) and welcome to GT40s. As already replied, please avoid the rover lump. It may fit nicely, it may be cheap to source and it may be reliable, but if you are intent on joining in with the "scene" and going to meetings etc then from what I have seen and heard you will soon regret not going the whole hog and putting in some real cc's. As for something new like BMW or Audi you might need to watch the fit, but I'm sure it will get attention, dropping in the Audi 4.2V8 with a 6 speed gearbox could get performance, reliability and dare I say it relative economy. If you go down that route then I'm sure a lot of people will be watching to see how it goes.

Back