A GT40 for Havelock NZ

Hi all.
Been doing the back ground research on building one of these beasts for a wee while now. As usual either no money and plenty of time or money but no time. At the moment I have no time and no money until I sell my 7 day a week business.
I have spent the last three nights working my way through Russ Noble's epic build. I admire your work Russ.
I like Russ will build every thing myself because I can and I hate to pay for something that I can make better if not cheaper myself.
I know what it takes to be totally obsessed with a project. Not many people can do it.
To my credit I have the following projects behind me or work in progress.
Scratch built Lotus 7. The only registered Marshall 7 in the world. Built light like the original, 1600 xflow, BCF2 cam, ported, 2 DCOE40's. Sold to a guy on the coast. I think he put in a 4AEG and made a Marshall7 badge for it.
Gyrocopter, started as a standard Bensen but evolved through two more versions to the present setup. Built my own rotor head, reduction drive and propeller. No way would I buy a prop so found a propeller cutting machine built by an old fella in Dunedin and made my own. Propeller making is another wee side line I will be getting into as well.
Designed and did the drawings for my own house. Then the wife and I built it ourselves. Two bedrooms and four levels. Will it ever be finished? I don't think so. Old Chineese proverb. Man finish house, man die.
Also got a couple of boats to finish and the shed still needs a floor and a Mainline ute to do as well.
I think I need to take on another project as now I have an idea where I may be able to get a GT40 body from.
Thats a wee bit about me.
cheers
Gary

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Welcome to GT40s Gary!

Sounds like you've had some interesting projects going on there... Plenty here share your illness - myself included..

Hi Gary,

Your definitely ill mate, I know because Ive got similar symptoms & haven't found a cure yet.
Had a chuckle at the reference to the prop carving machine, I think its probably the same one I tried to buy back about 1990 odd, couldnt believe my eyes when he chucked a chunk of 6" x 4" in the machine & set it alight...talk about wood chips for Africa.... ended up he did not really want sell it at that time.
Well better not hold you back, sounds like you have lots to do.

Hi Gary, seems as though half the population of the shaky isles is a craftsman lusting to build just one more project. Welcome to the Forum. The quality of work done by many of the members is awesome.

That would be the same machine Jac Mac. He also had a self built and unfinished house. 6x4 to finished prop size in one cut, sawdust and shavings for miles. Forgot a couple of other projects, valve guitar amps and ES335 / Trini Lopez / Dave Grohl semi hollowbody electric guitars made from NZ timber.
Thank you for the welcome, I'll get to know you all as my project slowly progresses.

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Good luck Gary. At least you have some idea of what you're getting yourself in to.....

Unless you're in the multi-millionaire category, one's own business is never conducive to car building or other projects! You hit the nail on the head with your time/money analysis. Oh to live somewhere with a decent sized population to more easily facilitate business growth......

On the other hand there are more things in life than money and I wouldn't want to trade the lifestyle, environment and the mates I have in good ol' Godzone, just for a few extra dollars in the bank in some other place.

No offence to the JAFAs, but the short times I have spent in that environment just reinforces my opinion. It must be ten times worse in bigger populations overseas....

BTW Gary, you do mean the real Havelock, an absolute gem of a place set in the picturesque Marlborough Sounds? As opposed to that township in the other island just outside Hastings known as Havelock North?

Either way I shall look forward to following your build.

All the best.

Last edited:

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Welcome to the forum Gary - mainly comprised of people who need their heads examined I know, but you'll find a lot of support here.

Back