Morning!

Hello, I have just registered on the advice of a very nice chap I met at the Newark kit car show by the name of John who owns a beautiful baby blue GTD40. I think he said he was from Mansfield?

I would just like to understand a bit more about these cars for the moment but may consider building one at some point? I understand there are a few kits availible and would be grateful for any advice on which ones are considered to be the best? I remember KVA produced a mk3 road car years ago but that is about it.

I have restored a few classic cars so have some limited skills and would like to get an idea if I have the ability to build a faithful GT40 replica

Many thanks
Ashley

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Faithful? Don't even try.
Unfaithful - great idea.
Whats the best kit ? How much can you spend? Welcome Ashley.
Look out for some already 'made up' cars coming up for sale and sometimes
half builts, where people have lost heart/ interest /wives. They do come up fro time to time. What ever you do, get some sage advice from some of the more respected
people here on the website. Some of them might even go with you to have a look though you might have to feed them and fill their tank in the mean time.
Whatever, keep a sense of humour and enjoy it.

Thanks David, that sounds like great advice!
Buying a part built car could save a great deal of cash (and hard work!). I am not at that stage yet and will try and learn as much as I can first.

I am not a rich man but would want a well manufactured kit, and asthetically as close as possible. What would you go for David?

Regards
Ashley

Welcome Ashley!

I would like to echo David's point about a part built kit. I managed to get an RCR part built and saved a considerable amount of money. However, this can be frought with problems (parts missing, incorrectly installed components etc... ).

If you can get past this issue, then a part built is a great option.

Fran has helped me (in the US) to get a lot of what I need, and also, as Simon has pointed out, there are a lot of UK guys out there who can fab the parts that you need, and Mick Sollis is one of those who has helped me with parts along the way.

Cheers!

Graham.

Hello, I have just registered on the advice of a very nice chap I met at the Newark kit car show by the name of John who owns a beautiful baby blue GTD40. I think he said he was from Mansfield?

I would just like to understand a bit more about these cars for the moment but may consider building one at some point? I understand there are a few kits availible and would be grateful for any advice on which ones are considered to be the best? I remember KVA produced a mk3 road car years ago but that is about it.

I have restored a few classic cars so have some limited skills and would like to get an idea if I have the ability to build a faithful GT40 replica

Many thanks
Ashley

Hi Ashley,
Good luck with your adventure.
Have you thought about joining the GT40 Enthusiasts Club?
A lot of interesting information can be gleaned through members and the club magazines.
Cheers:thumbsup:

Thanks for the advice Paul.
Should I decide to get more involved then will join the club. For now there seems to be a great deal I can learn from you boys on here?

Regards

Ashley, may I add my welcome and also point out that there is a GTD advertised on ebay at the moment,classified for £12K here is the link Ford GT40 GTD race on eBay (end time 26-Jul-10 20:42:36 BST)

It's currently unfinished but I'm sure there are others on here that would know it and it's history as the seller claims it was built and owned by Ray Christopher. I have no connection with the sale but did spot it yesterday while browsing.

that car is an ex-race car, I for one would not be 100% happy with the rear end configuration (although what do I know?) the thought of the rear suspension hanging off a renault transaxle not designed for it would give me the collywobbles.

Simon

PS jmho

Ashley, may I add my welcome and also point out that there is a GTD advertised on ebay at the moment,classified for £12K here is the link Ford GT40 GTD race on eBay (end time 26-Jul-10 20:42:36 BST)

It's currently unfinished but I'm sure there are others on here that would know it and it's history as the seller claims it was built and owned by Ray Christopher. I have no connection with the sale but did spot it yesterday while browsing.

I've been trying to get more info about this car as well. I wonder if it was the original R42 mule chassis that Ray Christopher talks about impressing people when testing torsional rigidness.

Ian

Back