Blue Oval Wanabe

Hi Guys. Firstly let me respectfully request inclusion in this forum. For you see, though I have always carried the "Blue Oval" flag, my search revolves around Weber atop a red bow tie. I know a bit sacrilegious, and I agree. What it is, is a 350 bolted into a kit of a McLaren M8 replica. However, from what I have seen it is here where there is a wealth of knowledge where I can find the answer to my Weber problems..

I am somewhat of a rookie at this and certainly at adjusting the 4 IDF rig setting atop my manifold. Knowing I had a some lean some rich condition and coughing/spitting condition, I search the web for how to's, bought Braden's HP Book and ordered the tool.

With book and sync tool in from UPS, off I go. Step by step. Check fuel system. Go. Pressure regulator, 3.25 lbs. Go. Timing, 38° total advance. Go. We are set. Loosen linkage, adjust idol and sync. A little tricky but not a problem.

Now I move to mixture adjustment. Start with 1/2 turn off of seated and needed to add 5 - 1/2 turns to reach an idle to sustain a running condition. 2 additional 1/2 turns got them to where no RPM increase was detected. Recheck air, readjust idle and sounds good. Idles smooth, revs nice . . . but alas I still have one that spits and coughs fuel from the top of the carb. In the subsequent test drive accelerated well though in a constant throttle at 1800 - 200 RPM it coughs and backfires.

This book's "trouble shooting" section leave a lot to be desires e.g. it said nothing as to a cause much less a remedy.

Any thought on what I missed?

MacSplat,

Sounds like you'ver done the basics there. If you have just one carb that is acting funny then here's a couple steps I recommend:

1. Check that your jetting is consistent across all the IDFs. First, note all the jets/etubes, etc. on a sheet of paper. Then, go the extra step of measuring the jets with a jet gauge too - lots of guys drill jets (because they don't have a complete spare jet inventory) leaving the next guy down the line wondering why he can't get his carbs sync'd. Make sure all your chokes are the same.

2. Check that your IDFs are all the same - looking down the throat and comparing the progression holes around the throttle plate is probably the most obvious indication.

3. Replace any worn joints/links in the throttle linkage. IDFs, like most all webers, are very sensitive at small part-throttle settings when in a multi-carb set up like 4 IDFs.

Good luck and persist!

MacSplat,

Sounds like you'ver done the basics there. If you have just one carb that is acting funny then here's a couple steps I recommend:

1. Check that your jetting is consistent across all the IDFs. First, note all the jets/etubes, etc. on a sheet of paper. Then, go the extra step of measuring the jets with a jet gauge too - lots of guys drill jets (because they don't have a complete spare jet inventory) leaving the next guy down the line wondering why he can't get his carbs sync'd. Make sure all your chokes are the same.

2. Check that your IDFs are all the same - looking down the throat and comparing the progression holes around the throttle plate is probably the most obvious indication.

3. Replace any worn joints/links in the throttle linkage. IDFs, like most all webers, are very sensitive at small part-throttle settings when in a multi-carb set up like 4 IDFs.

Good luck and persist!

Splat
First off welcome! M8 replica? Are we talking a Manta? BTW: There are technical sections in this forum for carb/intake type questions. You will probably find more help if you post up your challenge there.

Splat, Welcome Aboard

I had the same problem many moons ago. I bought some 40 DCOE's from a Alpha for my Lancia. Rebuilt them gaskets, choke, jets etc. The kits came with a black foam type float. My buddie Wayne at the time found the problem. We ended up putting the old brass floats back in and resetting the level. The newer style were hanging up in the bowl. Worked fine after that.
Dave

Hello MacSplat, I can't help you on your issue but I may be able to help you or some of your friends if indeed your working on a Manta Mirage. I have an untouched Manta Mirage kit sitting around with windshield, headers, chassis, fuel tank, radiator etc. Good luck on your tuning.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
How wierd is this, BlueOvalZ's Mirage to M8 replica project, responding to Blue Oval Wanabe working on his Mirage....:shocked2:

Last edited:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
MacSplat,

Welcome, there are some very smart folks here, I'm sure they can help you out.

How about some photos of your M8 project, we all love photos!

Sunnyvale, I'm in Saratoga.......

Back