Another GT40 Fan from Downunder

Hi,
Like a lot of newbies; I did some lurking first and I have to say, this is a great place to be. I have recently ordered a Superformance GT40 Mk 1 (chassis # P2288) through the Australian agent, Colin Turner of Cobra Technology and the information about engine, clutch, tyre and transaxle options I have gleaned through trawling the different threads has been invaluable.

The decision to order a Superformance GT40 was based on two simple factors, (1) I'm not mechanically gifted, so the option of a do-it-yourself kit car was not one I could consider and (2) the opportunity to buy a turn-key rolling chassis with 'continuation' status and chassis number, was an option to good to resist.

So when did the GT40 bug bit? well like many others, it struck me in 1965. Six years earlier I had gotten to know the late and great Aussie sports car driver, Paul Hawkins, quite well. Paul worked for my next door neighbour at his garage/ gas station in the Melbourne suburb of Heidelberg. I was eight at the time and I would hang around the garage ogling over all the sports cars that would decend on the place each Saturday, in particular, Paul's Austin-Healey 100/S. After Paul left for Europe to begin one of the best racing careers for an Aussie (along side Jack Brabham & Frank Gardner), he would regularly send back to his mates at the garage, a cross section of English motoring magazines. It was by reading through those mag's that I not only got to appreciate Paul outstanding career, but it started my nearly 50 year long love affair with the GT40.

I can still remember seeing my first photo of a Mk 1 GT40 in 1965 and thinking, "that has to be the beautiful car ever made" and I still think the same today. So; after nearly 50 years of dreaming about the best car Ford has ever made, I'm now about to be the proud owner of one.

I will look forward to further involvement with this great forum.

Welcome Rob!
All the best with your car, I hope it is all you dreamed. Can you bang a few photos on here when you SPF arrives??
Cheers, Gus.

Back