New from South Carolina.

Originally from a farm in Wisconsin, but enlisted and now I'm military and always on the move. I'm looking at getting an RCR kit from Fran in the next three or four years. Next year if certain things play out, and tomorrow if I win he lottery. Ha! I'll be following you geniuses andnasking plenty of questions prior to starting my build. I understand you guys are pretty close here and like to be on a first name basis, so with that said, I'm Ben.

I was in the auto body industry straight out of high school, and got my certification. Eventually got a job with full benefits as a correctional officer at a maximum security prison, and like I said before, now military. (F-16 crew chief)

Can't wait to get elbow deep in my car, but until then, I'll be building every aspect in my mind, with your help of course. I'm not too engine savvy, but I'm workgroup on it. If anyone is in the S.C. area, I'd love to come visit and check out your prized possession.

Ben, Welcome to the family. You'll find us a solid group always willing to help and Fran will be with you too every step of the way. As for cars in S.C. not sure but I can tell you in your own backyard you have one of the original builders of the GT 40 MK II in Holman Moody. Just across the border off I-95 if I recall. You want to see something special check them out. You can also put a payment down on one of their cars and become a member of a very elite group. Bring BIG bucks though! They produce some great engines too.

Ben, Welcome to the family. You'll find us a solid group always willing to help and Fran will be with you too every step of the way. As for cars in S.C. not sure but I can tell you in your own backyard you have one of the original builders of the GT 40 MK II in Holman Moody. Just across the border off I-95 if I recall. You want to see something special check them out. You can also put a payment down on one of their cars and become a member of a very elite group. Bring BIG bucks though! They produce some great engines too.

Ha! I'm military, I don't make big bucks. I'll be buying my kit off a re-enlistment bonus, and tax returns thanks to my twins that were born on the first. So nice of them to contribute already! I've been thumbing through the forums non-stop while I've been on paternity leave, makes my wife go insane that I can obsess over something like this. Thank for the welcome, look forward to many more hours of forum chat, and debate!

Ron Earp

Admin
Welcome to the forum. There is a CAV owner in SC but he hasn't been active as of late. If I can think of his user name I'll post it.

Your statement "makes my wife go insane..." shows that you are getting the idea of what a car obsession can do to your family life. Don't forget to buy her a new washing machine and step out of the garage to say Hi on her birthday. Later on, you'll be re-working the kitchen to atone for your sins.

Bill, I haven't been to Atlanta in almost 3 years now, and that was during my trip here. It's about 4 hours, so I could definitely make it down someday, as long as the wife doesn't mind taking care of the new twins and our 3 yr old on her own. Would love to see your car, just started reading into your build. Your engine compartment... AMAZING!

Dalton, My wife is insane because I tell her every little aspect of what I want my car to be. Check out these switches I found! What do you think of this style of side glass? But she says as long as she gets a large house that we can comfortable live in, (signed a lease on a small two bedroom the day before we found out we were having twins) I can have my car. Things are cramped here now, but we make due.

Stick to your plans and your dreams Bill, and you'll get there faster than you thought. A young Russian girl at work (Engineer), when I comment on her never slowing down, says "Life is a schedule one must follow, otherwise nothing gets done".

Chuck, I would LOVE to see your car up close and personal. My father in law will be down to see our twins for a couple weeks, and I'm sure he would be just as ecstatic to see them as I, if you don't mind of course.

Pete, don't mention it. It's a job just like anyone else has. Except I get to go to war zones every now and again. Working on transferring into a new career field which will open some up some amazing jobs in the civilians world, then maybe I can actually build cars as my hobby all the time?! Planned on winning the lottery before, but this seems to be a solid backup plan.

Last edited:
Thanks Chuck. I'll give you a call in a couple weeks or so when the family is down to visit. Can't wait to meet you!

Big thanks to Chuck for letting me stop by and check out his car! Hope to see you both again very soon.

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Ben - I live in Fort Mill, SC and have a Superformance Mk1. I've worked with both Dennis Olthoff (Olthoff Racing) and Lee Holman (Holman Moody). Two fantastic resources in the Charlotte area. I'd be happy to share my experience with you, and if you'd like to see my car I'd be happy to show it to you as well.

My number is 803-396-9929.

Dave Hood

Back