e.r.a.

sold my shelby gt350 and just purchased a e.r.a. gt40....i will be asking alot of questions since dealing with shelby's and cobra's for years not that familiar with the gt.. it has a boss 302 block stroked to 351 and a zf trans axle with a weber 4bbl? any one know of the weber 4bbl? i think it has a marine application? thanks in advance! domenic

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Domenic

Welcome to the world of GT40s

weber and edelbrock are the same carburettor with a different badge

Ian

Congrats on the ERA. Very nice car. For those who want to 'role their own' I feel it is the best available. If I hadn't bought the SPF I would have stood in line for the ERA as was the case years past. Please post your build as you proceed. Thanks.

hello, any ideas about better cooling on my era gt40? small block car.. after sustained long driving 70mph for 1/2 hour then slower driving ......@ 2-3 min temp goes way up on my era gt40.. replace rad with more efficient aluminum radiator? add a inline water pump? any opinions? thanks in advance for any input. domenic

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Have you bled all the air out the radiator? And out the heads?

After that it is time to check all the routing on your plumbing.
Perhaps the thermostat bypass is bypassing too much water and giving an easy route for the water instead of going to travel through the long pipes radiator and back again!

Ian

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Have you bled all the air out the radiator? And out the heads?

After that it is time to check all the routing on your plumbing.
Perhaps the thermostat bypass is bypassing too much water and giving an easy route for the water instead of going to travel through the long pipes radiator and back again!

Ian

Also what are the fans doing?

BigB98

CURRENTLY BANNED
Possibly fans need an upgrade. I run these: Spal 10" HP Fan: A1 Electric Online Store

They move a lot of air and even with a 600hp FE, I run on hot days without a problem. They do pull the amps, probably are thicker than the ones you have, and weigh a lot comparatively to other fans, but they sure made a huge difference for me.

Pat

Supporter
Congratulations on your purchase.
In addition to what's been posted, you may want to be sure that none of the hoses are crimped, your water pump is working and replace your thermostat with a "fail safe unit". I use an 80oC unit and it never get above that. I assume it's running OK but if it's still not right, try checking the motor timing, the carb jetting to be sure it's not running too lean or the timing is way off.

My money is that it simply needs to be flushed, bled of air and a new thermostat.

E.R.A makes a quality car and I'd be surprised if the radiator is insufficient. However, if the car has been sitting a long time, if may have gotten ills from lack of use.

Based on your description it sounds like the radiator can keep up when air is being forced through radiator at speed. When speed is down as well as engine load its either not enough fan or possibly a bad T-stat. Might need better ducting at the radiator or better fans. What is the amp draw on the fans and are they ducted? Pics of set up would help.

"THANKS" for all your comments..i will be talking to ted and peter @ era...they are on vacation. i will first flush and bleed the system and take a good look at my fans and thermostat, hoses etc. again "THANK YOU" kindly for all your input and valuable experience! all the best domenic

Back