Hello from the West Midlands, UK!

Hi,
I’m Duncan, an Automotive Engineer from W.Midlands, UK. I’ve been considering the GT40 build for about nine months now, though before that I spent a year building a garage in which to build a kit car of some form. I’m currently thinking along the lines of a copy of James Harvey’s build – scratch built GT Forte with Audi 32V V8 / Megasquirt. This won’t be an exact replica, more of a slightly more modern look. Hence why I’m less concerned about using a Ford small block, though I haven’t ruled that out. The concern with the Audi unit is whilst it’s a nice modern alloy block that will mate up with the Audi box, there’s very little rebuild parts available. So it’s probably a case of fitting a used part and hoping for the best… I’m considering buying an early ’95 A8 and breaking it as a chance to test the engine before the build. Aluminium body should weigh in for quite a bit also and hopefully I can find one that won’t need a cat fitting.

First off I need to finish the kitchen that was “suggested” that I do first, then I’m planning on trip to Stoneleigh in May. The main issue for me was how cramped the cockpit was of the example I sat in at the Classic car show at the NEC. I’m hoping people would be so kind as to let me sit in a couple (with dropped ‘pans) at the Stoneleigh show so I can get a better idea of the space available. I’m just over 6’ with fairly standard length leg but found the example I sat in really closed in. I owned a Vx220 for four years and have driven plenty of other sports car without this issue so it was a bit of a shock.

Would like to say thanks in advance for all the help and answers to the questions I’m bound to ask. Have found this to be a brilliant forum so far I have to say.

Hi Duncan.

Good to see someone local, I'm also in the West Mids.
I'd offer you a sit in mine but it's both setup totally for me (at 5'8"), isn't lowered and is about 1m in the air with no floor, no seats and no doors. :)

My advice on the engine is that the path less travelled is much more grief. Don't underestimate how much grief and costly the little things can be.

Thanks for the welcomes. Don't worry, photos will be coming when the project starts. Currently have a head full of research though. David, no problem on the car and advice on engine choice. I'm cunningly watching what James is upto with his Audi lump to see how he gets on. Ford 302 isn't out of the window.

I'm not unhappy with going for a DOHC v8 but it would have been far easier to have built round it rather than modify.

My second bit of advice would be to decide early on which engine/gearbox combo to run and if not a 302 to buy them before you cut steel. Or build to fit the coyote which should fit most other DOHC v8's as well.

You're still welcome to come visit and measure. :)

Hi Duncan

Sounds like you've got a plan coming together! I can definitely recommend scratch building - it's a lot of work, but really satisfying. Watching how a few lengths of steel stock are (slowly!) turning into a 1960s super car is pretty exciting.

I don't think fitting the Audi V8 in should be too much trouble. I'm building the Coyote version of the chassis which has a wider engine bay area than the 302 version. I've measured a fair bit and it should fit OK. The Audi engine is pretty short front to back so should be fine length ways too.

Breaking an A8 sounds like a good option. You'll know the engine is sound and they'll no doubt be lots of other bits and pieces which would come in handy too. If only I could have persuaded my better half to let me dismantle one on the drive for a few months, I'd have probably done this too!

You can get most replacement parts for the Audi V8 - timing belt, idle pullies, tensioners, seals, gaskets, water pump etc. But, yep, I've not seen things like replacement cams, pistons etc.

Feel free to ask any questions!

Good luck with the kitchen :)
James

You can get most replacement parts for the Audi V8 - timing belt, idle pullies, tensioners, seals, gaskets, water pump etc. But, yep, I've not seen things like replacement cams, pistons etc.

That's because engines are disposable options now. If you need spares, buy two...

Plan definately coming together - which is more than can be said for the kitchen! Getting there slowly.

Quick question James, are you intending to fit a cat to your exhaust or is the engine an early one? Do the GT-Forte plans include wishbones etc?

Keith

Hi Duncan, are you going to start a build thread? Don't forget pictures. We never read anything without pictures.. :)

Plan definately coming together - which is more than can be said for the kitchen! Getting there slowly.

Quick question James, are you intending to fit a cat to your exhaust or is the engine an early one? Do the GT-Forte plans include wishbones etc?

Engine is from 1996 so will need to fit a couple of cats. Plan is to use some compact ones just after the collectors before going into 2 separate silencers.

The GT Forte plans include the inboard suspension mounting points, but not actual details of the wishbones. Once you know what wheel offsets you're running with, it shouldn't be too tricky to come up with something.

Give me a bell and I can put you in touch with a couple of guys here at Ford who are building the Forte chassis they can give you dimensions or sort you out. They are also the ones who did the rear upright casting that I think Darren has shown on his FB page.

Back