Hi guys

Been here a while, but mainly just been reading and learning.
Dreaming of owning a GT40 for many years, but the stars have finally drifted in to alignment now and it looks like i can now make it happen.

Currently torn between two manufacturers, seen one and quite impressed, planning to have a look at the other in the next few days and make the commitment after that.

There a price difference, thats normal, and ultimately may have a small impact on which way i go, but for me it is more the desire to build a car that is as near a exact copy of the original MK 1 as i can get without getting stupid about it.

If there was a poll on here, (i could not find one) who do you think would top the ratings for producing a car as close to the original as possible, regardless of cost, politics or build history and all the other b****ing that goes on.

Andrew

Yup, go with a Gelscoe, awesome machines in a league of their own really, though I think they do most of the building for you....

Wow! Gelscoe, that puts a whole new perspective on things !

Don't see any prices on there site but just by looking through their pages i can imagine that are many thousands more than i have to spend, but they look stunning.

Yup looks like they do the building, that for me a big part of the project.

Maybe they could be involved in the engine supply etc.

Thanks guys.

Andrew, last I heard (read somewhere too) you are looking at around 300,000 Quid for a Gelscoe maybe a tad less but not much. You gets what you pay for as they say but after that the closest you'll get to being "original" is the Superformance as far as I know. Many of us (like me) appreciate the many different producers of this fantastic car and each of us chose based on our wants and needs. Prior to me buying my CAV I looked at and read as much as I could about the different makes and in the end CAV came out on top on my list because of the stainless steel chassis, quality build and after sale factory help. I gave great thought to SPF and RCR also because while originality is bloody nice to have (see SPF) and a "local" manufacture being close by (see RCR...for me anyway) I always knew that no matter what I chose none of them would be "original" so I chose the car that best suited my needs.

You mentioned engine supply/help also....my advise buy an engine from someone who is as close to you as you can get. I'm sure England has shops who can supply a great Ford V8 for you.

Keep us posted and continued good luck.

Andrew, last I heard (read somewhere too) you are looking at around 300,000 Quid for a Gelscoe maybe a tad less but not much. You gets what you pay for as they say

Just a little over my budget by a factor of 10.:cry:

Was lucky enough to be in South Africa a few months ago and sat in a CAV GT40 at Killarney race track near Capetown, met Jean Fourie who was very helpfull. But my only concern was getting it through it test here in the UK, when it was designed and built in South Africa....however i see they have a new UK agent, wonder if that helps. But i must agree, they were exceptionally nice cars and looked very well built.

Going to have a look at a another UK manufacturer this weekend and take it from there.

Andrew

Ok, about to take the plunge :stunned:
It will be on order by the weekend !
Now comes the waiting game.
Will start a build thread when it arrives.
Andrew

Might raise a few eyebrows but its going to be a GT Forte.
Was down looking at Darren's kit over the weekend and lucky enough to be able to see a Tornado and a GT Forte side by side and do a direct comparison.

Darren's work is good, and there are some little extras in the chassis that make sence to me.

To be honest, very close and not much to seperate either, but Darren's detail looked a bit better.

Yes i did my research and know all the history, but i always take peole as i find them, and i found Darren to be very pasionate about the car and he does know his stuff. Just to be fair, Andy also knows his stuff.

Andrew

Might raise a few eyebrows but its going to be a GT Forte.
Was down looking at Darren's kit over the weekend and lucky enough to be able to see a Tornado and a GT Forte side by side and do a direct comparison.

Darren's work is good, and there are some little extras in the chassis that make sence to me.

To be honest, very close and not much to seperate either, but Darren's detail looked a bit better.

Yes i did my research and know all the history, but i always take peole as i find them, and i found Darren to be very pasionate about the car and he does know his stuff. Just to be fair, Andy also knows his stuff.

Andrew

Looking forward to seeing another build starting soon :thumbsup: did you look at the SouthernGT too?

Yes Paul, had at look at Southern GT also (but did not visit) they where quite a bit more money ! But again looked good.

Andrew

Back