Greetings from Texas

I just recently discovered this forum, and already I can tell there is "beaucoup" knowledge and experience here, along with a gentleman's racing atmosphere.

The car bug first bit me back in the 60's, when I was just a kid. My Dad worked for Gulf Oil, and he occasionally brought home items related to the Gulf Racing team. Cool little toy auto transporters, decals, GT40 publicity shots: that kind of thing. Then when the LeMans movie came out in '71 he one day brought home a projector and a set of movie reels and we watched the movie in our house! I was hooked.

In the late 70's I got into Ford Mustangs, and that's when I first really learned about Carroll Shelby and his contributions, including the Cobra program. BAM! Knew right then I had to have a Cobra one day.

In the mid-80's I had a '66 Mustang 2+2 that I just loved. Enjoyed it for a few years, then had to part company.

So as the years have gone along, I have set in my mind that in my 50's I want to start building/owing a nice little garage of some favorites. I'm 52 now so the time is nigh. The first will probably be a Cobra replica, as that is what I have studied the most, plus it is essentially a simple build. It will have a big block Ford with dual quads. After that, I'm thinking the order of building the little "fleet" of replicas will be:
  • GT40: probably the MK1, absolutely in Gulf Racing trim. Ford small block with Weber stacks.
  • Porsche 550 Spyder: absolutely love these, and will enjoy the momentary diversion into a non-Ford powered car.
  • Daytona Coupe: this will round it all out.
You can see that my tastes run toward the 50's/60's "Golden age" of racing. I have limited mechanical experience, so I will definitely be learning a lot as I go. And some things will simply have to be farmed out.

I look forward to learning much more about the wonderful GT40 cars, and beginning to develop a build plan.

Alan,
Welcome!

The Texas Cobra Club is holding their annual meeting in San Marcos next week from Thursday to Sunday.

There will be over 100 cobras there along with some Daytona coupes and GT 40's. You will be able to see some of every replica manufacturer's cars there to see what your options are.

Hopefully you can drop by and visit with everyone. I'm sure you could find a ride along on one of the many cruises also.

Friday is the track day at Harris Hill Raceway nearby if you're into seeing these cars on the track. I'll be there so look me up if you come.

John

D. Nye

Lifetime Supporter
Welcome to the forum Alan, We live close, I'm in Cypress if you want to talk cars sometime. I also will be in San Marcos next week with the Cobra.

Hope to see you around.
Don

John:
Where will the cars be on Saturday and will they be open to the public? I would like to make the short trip up from San Antonio to see the cars.

Thanks,
John

Welcome to the Forum Alan!

I'm not too far from you. I stay in Pearland TX. I'm currently saving my pennies towards building the Superlite SLC. Lots of knowledge here. You might be surprised on how much work you will not have to outsource. I read thread after thread here and continue to learn more daily.

Thanks for the replies.

Commitments will keep me from attending the TCC event. Rats!

To those in the Houston area (I am in Katy): I look forward to getting to know y'all.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
The first will probably be a Cobra replica, as that is what I have studied the most, plus it is essentially a simple build. It will have a big block Ford with dual quads. After that, I'm thinking the order of building the little "fleet" of replicas will be:
  • GT40: probably the MK1, absolutely in Gulf Racing trim. Ford small block with Weber stacks.
  • Porsche 550 Spyder: absolutely love these, and will enjoy the momentary diversion into a non-Ford powered car.
  • Daytona Coupe: this will round it all out.

Surprising how similar our plans/tastes are.

I've always preached the prime trinity, the Cobra, the Daytona, and the GT40. Somehow I always saw them being acquired in that order.

Have the Cobra now...

The urge for the 40 to be the next is growing at cost to the Daytona....I can already read the handwriting on the wall.

I want a Mk1 in street trim for a car to drive over long distances...comfort will be more important than brute power....the Daytona seems more GT friendly than the 40.....still struggling, as you can see.

My daughter's favorite car is the 550 Spyder...I have always planned on the two of us building her one when she graduates from college....would think a WRX powered one would be a blast!!!

Welcome....:thumbsup:

Cheers!

Doug

@Doug: You clearly have excellent taste.

I like your plan on having a well-appointed Mk1 for distance-driving. Obviously, the Corvette already accomplishes that mission, but it just isn't the same now is it?

Your comment about the WRX flat boxer in that 550 is well-received.

Back