Newbie Questions

This all started when I saw a Factory Five (FF) '65 (Daytona) Coupe for sale at a car show in Indianapolis. I fell in love with it and at the time didn’t really know what I was looking at enough to realize I was missing out on one HELL of a deal. Over the past 2 or 3 years I’ve often wished I could play Ground Hog Day. I’m mechanical but only about 20% car guy – lots of other interests. IMO you have to be at least 60% car guy to want to devote the time and effort necessary to build one. Having said that, I do spend some time on my ’87 Conquest to keep it up.

Having settled on the Daytona Coupe I started doing research on the various companies and Daytona Coupes, directing most of it toward FF because they have a pretty good marketing arm and avid community. Along the way I ran across RCR. When I saw they have an AFFORDABLE P4 I about fell off my chair as I consider that the most beautiful race car body ever produced. In spite of that, I would lean more toward a T70 or a MkIV to use a small block Chevy or Ford. I am not about to deal with a Ferrari engine and could not put a U.S. small block into a P4 and still live with myself – until I had an evil thought. If I put a Ford in it I could put an historically relevant sticker on the rear saying ‘Ferrari & Ford working together – The Irony!’ Somehow I think I'd be o.k. with that as an explanation for having a Ford engine in a ‘Ferrari’.

Now for the newbie questions. I could bother the factory but my experience has shown forum members to be both knowledgeable and avid. I’m in North Central Indiana, so not too far from RCR in Michigan. I am fairly familiar with the construction of the FF ’65 Coupe, so I will make comparisons to that. FF has pretty good marketing including a build manual for $10! I find RCR’s web site a bit weak on information but I like the look of their product. So… it appears to me the RCR kit is a step up from FF I what it provides. I would call FF complete entry level and RCR mid level. Any comments?

Question 1: How is the fit and finish of RCR kits compared to FF kits?

FF seems to have pretty good factory support.

Question 2: How does RCR factory support compare?

FF frames are welded tube construction. RCR frames are monocoques(?)

Question 3: Does RCR use a universal frame (monocoque) for all of their offerings?

Question 4: It appears the frames are made for dropping in a small block 30x – 35x Ford or Chevy (others as well but I’m looking at Ford or Chevy) engine with no modifications to the supplied kit. Is that correct?

Question 5: Can one order just a manual from RCR to get a better feel for what the kit involves?

The FF kits come as frame/body parts. The RCR kit comes as a ‘roller’

Question 6: Does ‘roller’ AFA an RCR kit is concerned mean monocoque with mounted suspension/brakes/wheels/tires? Wiring/plumbing/interior/body + engine/transmission to be assembled/installed?

Question 7: How are the kits delivered? Everything piled on the roller and they get it as far as my driveway or what?

Question 8: What’s the factory attitude on visits/tours/demos?

Thanks for reading. Sorry for all the starter questions but my experience has shown forum members are usually happy to help. I won’t bother the factory until I need to. Not looking to ramp up on this until after my wife retires mid summer. Like I said, I’m not car guy enough to want to build one but for a P4 I could make an exception!

Welcome Greg!

Perhaps I should start by answering the last question. Fran and staff are very approachable so start by calling and then arranging a site visit. Probably most of your questions can be better answered by "THE MAN" himself.

1. Fit and finish is excellent
2. Top notch support
3. NO
4. They are built to accept a number of engine configurations
5. I don't think so but the SLC manual can be downloaded
6. Yes
7. The driver helped offload and push the 300 feet to my garage (negotiable by me)
8. Refer to beginning

Welcome Greg. I second what Doc has said Fran is one of the nicest individuals in the auto realm i have come across. He has always made time to answer my questions and even gave me measurements to make a jig to check the angle of my driveway prior to buying my house :)
That said if you have any questions about the FF Daytona Coupe I'll be happy to answer as i am building one as a stepping stone to one of Fran's offerings.

Tim

Welcome to the forum Greg.
I agree with Doc and Tim's comments. Give Fran a call and your questions will all be answered.

Be aware you will also be doing the body and body panel fitment and finish unless you want to farm this out. Do not confuse a 'roller' with a turn-key minus or other semi-finished configuration. I mention this only because you said you were about 20% as a 'car guy' and this is fairly labor intensive. If you don't have the time or facility to finish a roller kit, you might peruse the 'for sale' column over time to see if your chosen model shows up there in finished form or close to it. Not meant to discourage you but you should be realistic about your level of involvement/ability/resources.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. I need to keep researching, investigate local resources, prepare some more specific questions for Fran and plan a trip up to the factory this summer.

I was glad to see Al's comments. I have done a big project before (building my house!) so I know what a big project involves. It's also what keeps me from going into this all starry eyed. Much like the house, I'd be willing to build a car but I probably wouldn't want to do it more than once unless I had to. It's nice to have an outside voice to help keep my excitement in check.

Back