New GT40 owner in Austria

Hi everyone,

After catching the GT-fever when watching a coverage on a CAV GT40 on TV in 2007 my dream became true last Friday when I finally signed up for a 2008 (i.e. post #100) CAV GT40 after months of negotiations with the seller

The car is still at the dealer's website (marked sold) - anyone interested is invited to check out the 78 pictures available. Please let me have any expert comments which could be useful for me (as I am clearly not an engineer but just an admirer of that car - nothing else comes close).

Ford GT 40 CAV 1975 - der Dampfhammer

The paperwork should be completed within a week or so and then I will go for the initial 150km ride to the car's new home.

I would like to thank everyone on the forum answering my previous questions and there are more to come as the car still needs some upgrades like a video system, a lift system (most probably RamLiftPro), I will need a car cover etc but I will post this in the relevant sections (and will of course also upgrade my Membership now that I really joined the crowd).

As you can see from above the car is a wide body in wimledon white with green stripes which I am planning to replace soon with blue stipes (or just one large blue stripe) plus blue GT40 stripes on the side sills and I am also planning to add some other authentic decals from Racelinedigital.

Will be posting more pics once the transformation is done.

All the best from Austria

Thomas

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Thomas

Congratulations I thought for a bit it was my car.
Very similar but I do not have over roof stripes

Enjoy the driving

Ian

Ian, is there a thread or some link where I could see pics of your car? Always looking for inspiration.

Thanks Thomas

Thomas, welcome to the CAV family. I've never met a CAV owner that wasn't a great help or an all round decent chap. This includes the factory owners too as you've discovered with Jordi. Owning these cars is a new experience as everywhere you go you'll be getting lots of interest and attention. These cars are so rare and so much appreciated and liked by the viewing public that when they see one real or not, they're thrilled. Sadly, be prepared for some silly questions also like "what kind of Ferrari or Lambo is it" etc.

A couple of things to look for though. During your initial fueling experience you might encounter some problems as you may find the fuel splashes back up the pipe if you try to get the fuel into the tanks quickly. I found turning the nozzle toward the tank and eazing the fuel in is the best way to prevent this. It will take a little longer to fuel this car then most. (unsure if CAV remedied this issue with the 100+ cars)

If you want extra air in the cabin then I suggest you install helicopter vents as these are one of the best upgrades I've made to mine. Another upgrade was painting a black border to the inside of the clear plastic pieces as this really adds to the overall look of the car and adds, dare I say glamour to the overall appearance. I did mine in a weekend with taping the border being the most fiddley bit. It will make the white paint on your car really "POP" too.

Enjoy yourself....the CAV is truly a great ride.

Thanks Ian and thanks Jimmy for your useful tips. That's exactly what I was looking for. Jimmy, any pics of your blck borders?

Thanks & guys I will be off now for today as it is about 10:30 pm here in Austria ;-)

Btw, just uploaded a first video of my new car

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ykt3zOShcM[/ame]

This was last Wed when I did the final test drive (and no, it's not me in the back and it is also some mechanic driving the car out of the pit).

Enjoy the sound

Back