Hello

Hello, building #106 DRB GT-40. Roush 427, 8stack electronic fuel injection(Borla), Porsche G50 transaxle, Corvette C4 suspension. Project is about 50% complete. Looking forward to meeting and learning from other members and builders. My previous project was building a Van's RV-8 airplane, which I'm flying now and enjoy very much. This is the first car build I've done so things happen slowly.The learning curve is quite steep for a newbie; but I'm enjoying the project. Learned about highs and lows from the airplane project. Also learned to look at the project as many little projects, one at a time until, hopefully, completed. Many of the skills needed to build an airplane transfer over to car building, so that has helped; also without the internet the project would, I'm sure, be much more difficult and time consuming. Hoping to meet other builders and learn all I can from their experience and knowledge. Working on the project mainly during the winter rainy season; flying during the good weather months. Presently working on the fuel system.

Re: Hello from down under

Welcome to the forum Gary. Lots of info and help here.
Built two RV3's years ago (from plans only). I'll NEVER buck another rivet!

Gary,
Welcome to the forum.You will find any question you have, answered here by some very knowledgeable people. I have DRB #5 and I took my time building it. Great car. I have a build thread http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-build-logs/13742-drb-5-a.html It is an incomplete thread because it took so long for me to build(budgets and teenagers) and when I hit on something I posted in other sub forums. Feel free to contact me if you have any problems or questions on your build. I think I have run into almost all of them.
There are a good number of build threads for the DRB's and you should use the search function and the sub forum for the builds of the cars to find any of the other DRB builds.
GT40 Build Logs - GT40s.com
Mine is a 351 Windsor, bored, stroked, and internally balanced to 400 c.i.. AFR 205 heads and TWM 8 port injection(predecessor to Borla) and a Porsche 930 trans.. You will find these cars to be the most powerful you will ever drive. At least for me anyway.

Bill

Bill and Jack, thanks for the warm welcome. Nice to meet someone who has built the DRB; I'll be checking your build site often. Jack, are you still flying the RV-3? Fantastic airplane, my hangar mate has a 3 and a 10. Plans built, wow, much more difficult than the new kits. Bill, did you get your #bundle of snakes# from DRB or did you make your own? Jack do you also have a build site? Guys, thanks again for responding to my intro.

Gary

Gary, I'm in the build process of a RCR Superlite Coupe. No build site.
Sold both RV's years ago, yes a complicated build, especially the main laminated
aluminum spar. Nice little airplane they were. Used Conti 150's on both.

Gary,
The bundle of snakes is the iconic exhaust for any GT-40. That being said, each engine has different requirements due to engine size, and head differences. So each is pretty much a one off. I have some friends at Sheppard Race Cars that is situated just outside of Road Atlanta. I found a picture of the tubes I wanted. They concocted them from that picture. Whoever makes them will have to have the car in order to make them, unless you happen to have a tube bender and a good TIG welder. It is truely an art. Mine are stainless and I left them that way so they could "age".

P1010014.jpg

P1010015.jpg

Here is an outline of my build. It may answer a few questions, and probably will present a few as well, as I have changed a lot as I went along, and continue to do.

GT 40 Slideshow by Billmusarra | Photobucket

Bill

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Welcome to GT40s.com Gary!

I've built a lot of cars, trucks and motorcycles, but never had the bal--- err guts to do a plane.. And I'm a pilot too! LOL..

Hi Gary

DRB are easy car to build and you will have a great and very usable gt40, have fun but don’t pressure yourself with timetables. Plenty of help here if you need it.
Bill I have never seen an engine bay so busy on a GT40 but looks the goods.

Darrell
DRB LS1/G50

guess I need to get a little more tech savy with the uploading of pictures.

Bill; thanks for the photobucket referral. I'm going to sit down one evening soon, grab a rum and coke and watch your slide show. Wow, incredible paneling, among other beautiful work.

Randy; you would be the perfect candidate for building a Van's RV airplane. Have you been to Airventure Oshkosh. Must be close to where you live. Take a demo flight. Then again better not; you would be ordering the tail kit for your new build. I'm saving your web address for your build site, thanks

Darrell; Nice to meet you. My local friends say "Haven't you finished that car yet" My usual answer is "It will be done Tuesday", which Tuesday is anybody's guess. It's a hobby, not a job. I look at it like getting a new degree. Life is short, I like to learn as much as I can. Just thinking about the first engine start, hearing those "Snakes" gives me goosebumps.

Terry, nice to meet you. I went straight to your photos and the first pic I clicked on was a video of the engine purrrrring; wow, you must be pumped. Does fiberglass annoy you, or do you actually like sanding and shaping? Working with both fiberglass and aluminum while building my plane; I found the fiberglass much easier too repair if you made a mistake. If you botch the aluminum part you discard and begin again. I've bookmarked your photo sight for future enjoyment; Thanks

Gary

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Gary,

We all gravitate toward what works best or that we enjoy working with (or on). Fiberglass can allow you to build virtually anything. On my last project I built a fiberglass carb filter housing for a round K&N filter that I had to make into an odd shape in order to fit in a very confined space. Even with the high underhood temps it held up very well, held a good coat of paint, and allowed me to use a large filter for the situation.

I would even consider a fiberglass mono in the future (carbon is still a bit expensive).

Hi Gary,

I am building DRB#112 and is going well, but a bit slower than I would like, as the others have said there is so much help and advice here, and plenty of DRB owners and builders.

Cheers

Bob

Back