Hello from Lancashire

Ed McClements

Supporter
Hi all,

I owned my first GT40 in 1972. It was absolutely beautiful - the best car I'd owned up to that point. The only problem was that the wheels didn't turn properly...I think I'd used too much polystyrene cement on the wheel hubs, after all, I was only 7 years old. I have yet to own my second GT40, but I see into my future and it's definitely there...somewhere.

I'm currently devouring the build threads and technical tips and am bowled over by the skills on display - top work, chaps.

Cheers,

Eddy

Welcome Eddy, I just spotted the bikes :thumbsup: The Triumph does it for me. As you have noticed there are some interesting things going on here and not just GT40`s.

Enjoy.

Bob

Welcome Eddy, i was born in Stockport but live in the Seattle area here, great group of people and as you say some amazing cars and skills on display.

Cheers!

May I add my welcome Eddy, a Yorkshire lad myself now living in Devon (so no axes to grind!) lots of good stuff here and if you want to scratch the GT40 itch sooner rather than later there are a few around who would be happy to show you their rides or take you out for a spin. I would offer but Devon is a long way from Lancs: I know, I was in the area over the last weekend, but not in the 40.

Chris where in Devon are you? We get down there when we come over to visit my wife's family in Horrabridge.

Mike Pass

Supporter
Welcome Eddy,
If you would like to meet up with your local GT40 Club group we meet up at the Dog Inn in Over Peover http://www.thedogpeover.co.uk/ on the first Wednesday of every month from about 8 o clock. There are usually a few cars to look at and lots of knowledge with several cars built and many more in build. We are all over at the Le Mans Classic so next month will be the next meeting. We will post info and pics from Le Mans as many will be out for the track laps and we have a dinner event at the Hotel de France where the Ford GT40 team stayed back in the sixties.
We will post news and pics in the GT40 Enthusiasts Club section of the forum soon as we get back to the UK.
Cheers
Mike

Ed McClements

Supporter
If you would like to meet up with your local GT40 Club group we meet up at the Dog Inn in Over Peover The Dog at Peover - Steeped in the history of the quaint village of Over Peover on the first Wednesday of every month from about 8 o clock. There are usually a few cars to look at and lots of knowledge with several cars built and many more in build.

Fantastic - thanks for the offer! If I can make it, I will, and I'll probably have my 10-y-o son in tow. He doesn't yet know what his dad is planning, so it'll be a great surprise when the project is announced. Not sure how t'other half will react, though.....

Eddy

Ed McClements

Supporter
Well....almost exactly three years since my last post, and the ten-year-old I referred to previously is now a strapping thirteen-year-old and has grown about a foot in height. If he doesn't stop soon I'm going to need a Gurney bubble! Luckily I am the perfect 5'9" size for a GT40, which must be a sign of some sort.
The real reason for today's post is that I have, in the last ten minutes, placed a deposit on an SGT chassis (which was such a momentous occasion that I almost made another deposit...on my chair). Look out for a build thread - once my hands stop shaking.

Ed McClements

Supporter
Nice one eddy if we can help just give us a shout

Regards Mark and sam

Thanks guys....you've already got me into enough trouble! Don't know how I'm going to break the news to the other half that I'm starting another project...

Seriously though, hope to catch up with you again soon.

Cheers,

Eddy

The real reason for today's post is that I have, in the last ten minutes, placed a deposit on an SGT chassis (which was such a momentous occasion that I almost made another deposit...on my chair). Look out for a build thread - once my hands stop shaking.

Very wise choice Eddy ;)

Mike Pass

Supporter
Welcome back Eddie,

The club have also moved on. We now meet up at the Bells of Peover on the first Wednesday of the month from about 7.30pm onwards.
Bells of Peover | Renowned dining pub just outside Knutsford
As you have gone for a Southern GT you will be glad to hear that we have several Southern builders in the NW group who will I am sure be glad to help you with your build. Indeed Nick Brough has just got his car through the IVA test.
We will be attending the Oulton Park Gold Cup and the Manchester Classic Car Show at Event City (at the Trafford Centre)
You will be very welcome to come and meet everyone at any of the above meets.

Cheers
Mike

PS I have sent you a Private Message (see top left of page.

Well done Eddy, the fun starts now. Trust me when I say that this idol will not disappoint. Looking forward to seeing the build thread.
Chris

Just a small point, Eddy, The Club meeting will not be at The Bells over Peover in August, back there 1st Weds Sept. Suggest you go onto gt40enthusiastsclub.com , join up and I'll add you to my email group to keep in touch with NWest events and builders. Hope to see you at the Gold Cup or other meet soon - Pete Thompson - NW Club Rep

Back