New guy in Norfolk VA

Jointed the Forum last month. We have been evaluating whether to get a Cobra Coupe or a GT40. Right now we are leaning towards a CAV GT40. The main stumbling block is just a severe lack of "face time" with the GT 40, have not been able sit in one or get a ride in one, CAV or otherwise. We can get either to Wash DC or Charlotte NC area fairly quickly. Looking for opportunities to more closely examine some GT40's (not necessarily a CAV) and more importantly talk to some owners. Any ideas? Thank you and looking forward to being a part of this forum.

Steve,
There are several 40s in your area or in the Carolinas. if you make it down to Georgia there a couple here as well. I am finishing up repainting mine and it should be done in a week or two. Then a little finish work on the interior and I can say I am finished again, for about the third time I think??
Post a thread on "GT 40s in Virginia" etc. I am sure some will chime in.

Bill

Bill, I'll try the thread. We get down to Charlotte fairly often, so could check out cars down there also. We are also looking for events to attend that would involve GT40s. I know there is a "Car Fair" in the fall at Charlotte speedway, so will try to make that.
Thank you again for your idea.
Steve

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
if you mean a Cobra Daytona coupe, that is probably somewhat more usable than a GT40. Check out the Kirkham Motorsports aluminum Cobra Daytona coupe on their FB page, but get ready to drool.

FWIW I have one of their Cobra roadsters and love it. Also more usable than a GT40, but of course you see Cobras all over the place. You don't see GT40s.

Steve,
First, Welcome to the forum...

I do not have my GT40 done but can tell you that the Daytona coupe is a great traveling car as you can carry a lot of luggage with you verses a GT40 or a Cobra with limited trunk space.
Any of them can be built into a great driving car:thumbsup:
And most of us modify the cars a little for driver comfort and accept the fact that we have limited rearview ability.
Regards,
Mark

Steve, I will have a new CAV GT (Roller) from the factory and a demo Gulf Oil CAV GT (Turn key) in my shop during August for you to come and "kick the tires" We have 4 new cars coming in the next 6 months that will also be available for viewing.

if you mean a Cobra Daytona coupe, that is probably somewhat more usable than a GT40. Check out the Kirkham Motorsports aluminum Cobra Daytona coupe on their FB page, but get ready to drool.

FWIW I have one of their Cobra roadsters and love it. Also more usable than a GT40, but of course you see Cobras all over the place. You don't see GT40s.
Jim, I have seen pix of the Stainless Steel Kirkham and it is indeed beautiful - but way above my budget!! Plus, as you say, don't see many GT40's.

Steve,
First, Welcome to the forum...

I do not have my GT40 done but can tell you that the Daytona coupe is a great traveling car as you can carry a lot of luggage with you verses a GT40 or a Cobra with limited trunk space.
Any of them can be built into a great driving car:thumbsup:
And most of us modify the cars a little for driver comfort and accept the fact that we have limited rearview ability.
Regards,
Mark
Mark,
The "useability" aspect between the Daytona Coupe and the GT40 is one of our concerns. In talking to Johann at CAV, there appears to be some room for soft bags of clothes, if you don't mind wrinkles. We can travel light if necessary. Where are you in Maine? We are trying to get up to Bar Harbor later this year - late summer/early fall. What kind of GT40 are you working on? Thanks for your thoughts.
Steve

Steve, I will have a new CAV GT (Roller) from the factory and a demo Gulf Oil CAV GT (Turn key) in my shop during August for you to come and "kick the tires" We have 4 new cars coming in the next 6 months that will also be available for viewing.
Johann, we are planning on visiting your shop in August when the cars arrive. I hope that resolves many of our questions. Do you have any customers in eastern NC or VA who might be willing to talk to us and show us their GT40?
Thanks again for all your help so far. We still really like the gulf livery.
Steve

My Buddy Arnold has all three: polished aluminum, polished copper, polished silicon bronze. He was the one that originally ordered the copper and silicon bronze. He also has the Daytona Coupe. They are all stunning.

-Bob Woods

Attachments

• Three Cobras.jpg
    Three Cobras.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 208

Ron McCall

Supporter
My Buddy Arnold has all three: polished aluminum, polished copper, polished silicon bronze. He was the one that originally ordered the copper and silicon bronze. He also has the Daytona Coupe. They are all stunning.

-Bob Woods

Bob, Can you do me a favor and tell your friend that I hate him!!!!

Ron

Howard,

Glad to take you up on your kind offer. I will be in DC on 27 July and driving back on Friday 1 August. I will be free in the late afternoon after 4 or 5 and have max flexibility on Sunday until about 3. Would it be convenient to meet during that time? Thank you for your consideration.

Regards,
Steve

Steve,

I won't be able to meet up with you until Tuesday the 29th. I am booked with other events until then.

Let me know what you want to do. You can send me a PM through the Forum.

Cheers,
Howard

Back