New Oregon member

Hello all...I have been a long time Ford guy and GT40 dreamer.
Over the last few years I have gotten more serious about track days and other motor-sport events I can drive in. In 2010 I drove my 67 Mustang in the Silver State Challenge. Great fun, but it also made me look in to a permanent track toy to have fun with. Ended up building a BMW 2002 as it was a good balance between handling, weight, cost, etc.... I am still a Ford guy at heart, but appreciate and enjoy anything that is fast and/or fun to drive.
BMW is great fun to drive, but I really enjoy the build process also. I am itching for another build project and figure now is the time to jump into the GT40 realm. The BMW is up for sale to free up cash, and more importantly, shop space for an extended project.
Here are a few pics and a link to my BMW build blog.
Looking forward to comments, guidance and such....THX
DSCN6991.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
SSCCFINISH.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

76 2002 Track Car Project - Project Blogs - Archive - BMW 2002 FAQ

Mike, welcome to GT40s.com, lots of very smart Ford (and everything else) guys here.

The mustang looks great. It's always wonderful to see the old Mustangs going at it hard at our local vintage racing here in the Pacific Northwest. Loud and impressive, and very fast cars when set up for track-only use.

I'm not sure what it's like in Oregon but if it's similar to here in Seattle then best to be aware that only original GT40s are allowed to race in the vintage races. SOVREN governs most of the vintage racing in this area, and if it wasn't built before 1970 then it's not going on the track....where your Mustang and 2002 are very welcome in contrast. There are a few limited venues and events where you could get some track time with a non-orignal GT40 but it's not prevalent....track days with car clubs who will let you run a non-member marque car (porsche and alfa clubs may allow it, for example).

I don't want to rain on the parade but I was also hoping to get lots of track time with my GT40 when I bought it but it just wasn't welcome in the vintage racing scene...and running on the track with a bunch of crazy 20 year olds in pimped Hondas at the Honda club track day isn't ideal either.

In any case, you'll love your GT40 when you get it!

Mike, embarrassingly overdue response, but I have not looked at this page since starting my build thread. I am located in Colton, but work at Aurora Airport just across from Vans Aircraft. A/P Mechanic, FAA Repair Station Chief Inspector.

Your aviation connection???

Thx

Dr. David

Lifetime Supporter
I live very close to you, in the Stafford area....(Wilsonville, Tualatin, West Linn,)
I'm not particularly a Ford guy, but I do own a Cobra Daytona Coupe, and some vintage Lotuses with "Ford" engines. You are welcome in my garage. PM me if you would like to come over.
David

Mike, embarrassingly overdue response, but I have not looked at this page since starting my build thread. I am located in Colton, but work at Aurora Airport just across from Vans Aircraft. A/P Mechanic, FAA Repair Station Chief Inspector.

Your aviation connection???

Thx

And I am overdue as well...I was up in Salem visiting my folks.

I know where you are...I have visited Vans before.

I started in aviation hang gliding in the 1970s. Got my PPL in high school. Been flying off and on since. I have co-owned and operated a repair station (avionics), and was involved in the beginning of the commercial in-flight person entertainment industry in various capacities: QA, Enginnering management, Ops VP, etc for a couple of companies including a DAS. Started a business 17 years ago making seatback televisions for some of the bigger guys. Semi retired now.

Now I fly a Cirrus SR22 I bought some 10 years ago and have a home built (Rans S16) almost done (sitting for years).

I have an early SPF MKII that needs to be driven if you are ever down in the Jacksonville/Ashland/Medford/Grants Pass area.

Mike

Back