New UK member

Hello all, just joined to absorb the mountain of information on the website and thought I would post a quick hello

Considering taking the plunge to build a GT40 :thinking:

Loads of information on the website, so seems pointless to post a long list of questions in an intro thread, but here are the topics I am working through at the moment if you think I missed any big points I need to think about let me know? - so much to think about :dizzy:
  • Chassis options (probably looking new not take on a part finished project)
  • What would need to be bought from kit suppliers (chassis, body, suspension arms, hubs, fuel tanks, fillers, maybe seat & pedalbox, wheels, etc).
  • What is more generic and could be a bit more individual (gauges, wiring loom, radiator, fuel setup, braking setup
  • Engine old one and buildup, pre-built package. Lots engine options, lots cost variation as well! - by the way Mike Huddart comes up a lot in engine discussion are they still trading? Website is gone?
  • Clearly its a replica not an original, but 4x Weber IDA or eighstack EFI looks so good... and so not cheap...
  • Gearbox, that new Quaife dog leg one looks lovely, can't afford it so I guess UN1 or something else. Where to source, what fits what needs adapting, what needs rebuilding, etc etc
  • Total cost, clearly to be wildly exceed in the end no doubt, but need to have a rough idea...
  • Build timeline, I think anything less than 2 year is unrealistic for me, but rather like Magnus Magnusson I would not want to start and not finish, so need to factor timeline in to some degree.

The big problem I have to overcome first at 6'2" is will I fit? I can see that some manufacturers offer lowered floorpans, not sure how practical that is to live with on what the UK government call a "road"? Going for a fabricated seat rather than an aftermarket one seems to be one way of lowering the seating as well, and of course the infamous door bump is an option (I think I may need low seat AND bump if I am to fit inside with crash helmet for track days?)

Welcome any comments from taller owners!:worried:

Looks like the UK GT40 enthusiasts club has meeting in Hants/Berks and Surrey that are both in range for me, although don't expect to see many GT40 at the meets in the winter weather. I probably need to go to a meet and find someone nice and see if I can try to fit in their car...

Anyway, great forum, great info :D Looking forward to hopefully starting a build thread one day...

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Paul & Welcome

a few quick answers below

Hello all, just joined to absorb the mountain of information on the website and thought I would post a quick hello

Considering taking the plunge to build a GT40 :thinking:
good idea

Loads of information on the website, so seems pointless to post a long list of questions in an intro thread, but here are the topics I am working through at the moment if you think I missed any big points I need to think about let me know? - so much to think about :dizzy:
  • Chassis options (probably looking new not take on a part finished project)
    Probably the more expensive route but you get exactly what you want
  • What would need to be bought from kit suppliers (chassis, body, suspension arms, hubs, fuel tanks, fillers, maybe seat & pedalbox, wheels, etc).
    Depends on "handy" you are with tools and in the garage - could be anything from a set of plans to almost completely built from any of a number of sources - parts can be sourced from other places other than kit sellers
  • What is more generic and could be a bit more individual (gauges, wiring loom, radiator, fuel setup, braking setup
    Again it's your car so you can do as you want to be as close to original or a "shadow" and your interpretation of where the car would be if developed
  • Engine old one and buildup, pre-built package. Lots engine options, lots cost variation as well! - by the way Mike Huddart comes up a lot in engine discussion are they still trading? Website is gone?
    Not sure on Mike trading any more - not heard for a couple of years, again if you can turn spanners your labour is free as opposed to paying a shop to assemble the parts you want
  • Clearly its a replica not an original, but 4x Weber IDA or eighstack EFI looks so good... and so not cheap...
    Yes and they range from ouch to OUCH
  • Gearbox, that new Quaife dog leg one looks lovely, can't afford it so I guess UN1 or something else. Where to source, what fits what needs adapting, what needs rebuilding, etc etc
    Depends on what you want to do - race and you will probably want a stronger bos than a UNI, Also can look at Porsche, Audi, Skoda and other gearboxes - Elite Transaxles are another source but again ££££
  • Total cost, clearly to be wildly exceed in the end no doubt, but need to have a rough idea...
    Budget build I'd say you would battle to get anything on the road and painted for less than £40k
  • Build timeline, I think anything less than 2 year is unrealistic for me, but rather like Magnus Magnusson I would not want to start and not finish, so need to factor timeline in to some degree.
    6 Months is possible if you have loadfs of time and no Mrs Paul making demands on time and ££

The big problem I have to overcome first at 6'2" is will I fit?
Hello shorty I'm 6'3"

I can see that some manufacturers offer lowered floorpans, not sure how practical that is to live with on what the UK government call a "road"?
Correct and your bum becomes the lowest part over the speed humps etc - not my route thanks

Going for a fabricated seat rather than an aftermarket one seems to be one way of lowering the seating as well, and of course the infamous door bump is an option (I think I may need low seat AND bump if I am to fit inside with crash helmet for track days?) Make it to fit you - Chris Edwards was 6'5" and remade his KVA and when I tried it I could not reach the brake pedal! He did many track days with Crash hat too!

Welcome any comments from taller owners!:worried:

Looks like the UK GT40 enthusiasts club has meeting in Hants/Berks and Surrey
I go to that meeting every month - December wll be at a different venue as we all have a Xmas Dinner

that are both in range for me, although don't expect to see many GT40 at the meets in the winter weather. I probably need to go to a meet and find someone nice and see if I can try to fit in their car...
Car is in the garage but you are welcome to try

Anyway, great forum, great info :D Looking forward to hopefully starting a build thread one day...

Hi Paul,

The best thing to do is join the EC Club and pop along to the next meeting for a natter - January will be the next as its the Xmas meal in a few weeks time. I attend the Silvermere meet which is 5mins off the A3/M25 junction. Also the members usually hear about cars and part builds for sale first and you'll get the club mag 4 times a year.

Thanks all.

Ian: Have a set of spanners ;) Ok bit more than than, various usual garage tools, inc compressor (no air rivet gun (yet)) but less fabrication stuff pillar drill etc that may be needed for decent job. I expect I could build all manner of things given the time, panelling not worried about, fabricating some more complex parts its a time/cost trade-off I suppose. Not looking to buy a complete package - where's the fun in that...

re:Engine, last one I rebuilt was 1/4 the size of a 302 with 0.65l capacity so bit out of practice! (cheaper carb mind) Theory all sound, suspect I could pick it all up as I went along, I think what I am thinking about the most is expensive mistakes with expensive components? Also sourcing a lump seems to be a challenge this side of the pond, maybe I have not done enough research yet...

re:gearbox - saw some comments on the Porsche/Audi options, need to do more reading I suspect to understand what implications are for modification and weakness points.

Paul W (I am also a Paul W), thanks for that, will probably do that and silvermere one is closest (used to live in WOT down the road) so may see you there. Have to rethink the part built bit, maybe its a sensible option.

Jack- Thanks!

Last edited:
"The big problem I have to overcome first at 6'2" is will I fit?"

2 things

Lower Floor
Gurney Bubble

You're in like Flynn....!

Hi Paul, welcome to the world of GT40 addiction. Did you get along to the NEC Classic Car Show, the Club was there with a fantastic display.

As you're at the info gathering stage then joining the GT40 Enthusiasts Club in the UK is a very good start. This will put you in touch with a huge knowledge base. You may also care to visit Tornado and Southern GT as this will enable you to get face to face answers to your questions and enable you to crystallise your thoughts.
On the engine front, rebuilding (or getting a professionally rebuilt) old 302 is a good way to go as you can then get an engine dating certificate that will ease the emissions compliance. (If you fit a new engine then it will have to be fitted with catalytic convertors to meet the IVA test). Both Andrew at Tornado and Mick at Southern GT will be able to give loads of advice on this as they both have lots of knowledge in putting cars through the test.

Keep an eye on the Club web site and come meet up with us at various events during 2015.

Cheers
Steve

Hi Steve, I didn't get to the NEC but I did read about it on the forum. Starting to understand all the options now, like an older engine and the implications for IVA.

Will try to make the Surrey meet in Jan hopefully.

Back