SPF 2319 now in So Cal

Hello,
I have taken delivery of SPF 2319, a GT40 MkII in black with silver stripes. I will be doing the install myself so I was happy to find a site specializing in GT40's. I have a 427 Windsor in the works and a ZF-2 out of a Pantera that was freshened up by Lloyd of RBT. The plan is to drive it on the street and take it to track days at Willow, Cal Speedway, etc.

There does not seem to be a high percentage of SPF GT40 owners that do their own install, so I hope to get some tips from the old hands on the forum. I have found many of the threads helpful already. I assume the best place for a SPF build thread is in the SPF forum so I will be starting one there.

I hope to contribute some interesting content in exchange for the forum experience,
Steve

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
There was a good website, the GT40 Wiki that had some good information, but it is no longer on line. I may have some of the articles stored on an old hard drive, I will look and see.

The Gold standard for GT build-out info is Dennis Olthoff. I would suggest calling Dennis and purchasing some of the needed parts from him rather than Summit, etc. It will be well worth any extra cost in the long run as it will lubricate the knowledge engine.

Thanks for the info search Rick.
I only hear good things about Olthoff's work. I was looking at his optional parts yesterday.
Steve

Welcome aboard Steve. Congratulations on the Mk II! Lynn Miner had some great info on the site like this:
http://www.gt40s.com/forum/superformance-gt40s/21918-first-sfp-owner-install-completed.html
He also produced a DVD with many details of his install. I'll see if I can locate my copy and burn another. PM me with your address.
The install is not that difficult if you're mechanical. Mine only took me about a month once I got all the parts. Rick's suggestion of ordering some of the parts from Olthoff is smart. Some of the part # like clutch discs are specific to which ZF/RBT input shaft you have. Some owners have been OK with the McLeod internal slave cylinder, but others like me went to an external slave after multiple failures. Olthoff's shift linkage upgrade is definitely worth it.

Thanks for the offer to find info Dave. I heard mention of the video but had no luck finding a connection to get a copy.

I am an engineer and a gear head from way back. My first engine swap was a 396 into a '56 Chevy 2-door wagon in the late '60. Those swap kits are still available. A 13 second quarter mile was very fast at the time. I was fortunate to retire from Boeing and buy the GT40 in the same year. Right now the built is my full time hobby.

Thanks again for the offer to help,
Steve

Steve,

I did mine, and it was not particularly difficult. Olthoff is a great resource, and can source you the correct parts, which can be somewhat difficult to figure out.

I'd be happy to talk you through anything I can, just PM me for my contact info.

Do you have an engine/tranny combo figured out?

Ron

Thanks for the generous offer Ron.
I will PM you to exchange contact info.

I bought a ZF-2 from a '72 Pantera about 40 years ago and have been lugging it around from house to house. I was building kit cars with some friends at the time and I thought I might use it in a Manta, than a V8 Esprit S1, etc. I had Lloyd at RBT rebuild and mod it for the GT40. It needed a 3rd gear syncro and output shafts to match the SPF half shafts. He said the gear oil had turned to a mud-like substance. I have it sitting in the car right now but the bottom of the mounting flange hits the cross member. I would like to talk before I start cutting.

I have a 427 CID, 9.2" deck Windsor in the works. The block is from SVO and was bought when I was working on Cleveland engines, therefor, the 9.2" deck rather than 9.5". The bore is 4.125" with a 4" stroke and 6" rods. I am using Trick Flow 11R heads because the low valve angle works with the pistons I have and raised exhaust ports to compensate for the different deck.

Talk to you later,
Steve

I am in Lake Forest. I have s/n 2120, one of the early ones from the first batch. The Olthoff crew did the install for me back in 2006. I keep the car in Oregon most of the time, but I can shoot pictures of you need anything...it has the standard Roush 427 with RBT. Here to help!

Back