New Enthusiast from NC

Hoping to secure my first GT40 in the near future. Have my eye on an ERA currently on the market and looking to bring it to NC. I've been following the site for a few months and thought it time to sign up. Look forward to the journey

Happy to see you off the sidelines and into the 'pool'. Today would be a good day for "wax on, wax off" in heated garage. Hey I was told about a 'cars and coffee' event the 3rd Saturday at Starbucks on Hendersonville Road. However, the ice will not begin to melt until then. Again welcome to world of GT40.

Yeah, figured I had better jump in here and meet some of these great enthusiasts. Its about time we get the cars and coffee going around here. Will be something to look forward to once the weather cooperates.

Finally struck a deal on the ERA and its now home in western NC. So, off to a world of adventure and learning - especially when it comes to the Gurney engine and Webers. Have already put a few hundred miles on the car which is more than it had seen in 10 years. Thanks to local friends Phil and Grady for the support. Will be here often.

Now to order a lead hammer!

Attachments

• GT40-agnew-ga-engine.jpg
    GT40-agnew-ga-engine.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_1709b.jpg
    IMG_1709b.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 235
Yes, that's the one. I'm only 150 miles from Greene Ford the owner has a fairly extensive collection of Fords. This one was built by the owner of Cobra Restorers in Atlanta, saw about 2,000 miles of test/track duty, then changed hands where Mr. Greene kept in his showroom for most of the time he owned it. Car had only been driven a couple hundred miles in the past 10 years. I'm planning to change that and do some minor freshening! It took a few months of inspecting, viewing, and dealmaking, but finally took it home with straight pipes a blaring (yes drove it home....well, a fellow 40 owner drove it and I followed).

Can also say I made it through the stringent NCDMV inspection last week and have tag/registration in hand. A complete paper trail was the key.

Larry,
An alternative tire choice is the Nitto NT555 drag radials(325x50x15). I have them on 10" rims and no problem getting them inside the arches. Before we added the arches the tires stuck out about an inch or two. The fronts are also Nittos at 225x50x15. Gives a nice stance. My brand is DRB and I added the extensions after getting the tires so we were able to tailor them to the tires. The traction is great. They are a little stickier than most and I constantly have to clean out the rear fenders from the fine gravel that is thrown up on them(the lower lip tends to hold on to them). They don't make any noise from the gravel, just a nuisance. NT555R D.O.T.-Compliant Competition Drag Radial Tire

Bill

Bill,
Thanks for the tire recommendations as that is one area where I'm most interested to improve. The only issue for the 325's is that my rear Halibrand's are only 8.5" which likely limits the choice to the 275. That is, unless I spring for new rear rims, etc. I do have feelers out for a set of 10" Halibrand magnesiums to match, but those are not likely to fall from the sky anytime soon. My other option is to spring for a BRM rim, which would be my next choice. Which Nitto did you choose for your fronts?

thanks
Larry

Ron Earp

Admin
Hey Guys, if you have specific technical questions please start new threads in the specific technical forums. That way the information is easily searchable for future enthusiasts.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Bill,
Thanks for the tire recommendations as that is one area where I'm most interested to improve. The only issue for the 325's is that my rear Halibrand's are only 8.5" which likely limits the choice to the 275. That is, unless I spring for new rear rims, etc. I do have feelers out for a set of 10" Halibrand magnesiums to match, but those are not likely to fall from the sky anytime soon. My other option is to spring for a BRM rim, which would be my next choice. Which Nitto did you choose for your fronts?

thanks
Larry

Leave them 8.5"! That or sell me your 8.5" :)

Back