Hi, everyone. I currently don't have any cars with more than 4 cylinders, and with a still expanding family, it may be a while. I've been enjoying following several of the build logs, but only just joined. I live in Little Elm, Texas, just a few houses down from Frisco.

I'm a mechanical engineer working in orthopedic product development. I spent a few years in hip and knee implants. Now I work in the extremities, primarily working on bone plating systems for trauma and some joint replacements. All that being said, my experience tends to place me behind a computer doing the concept/design work, and that is where I am currently with my dream car project of building a GT40. I'm very much in the early stages of CAD development.

I've been interested in automotive design, particularly aesthetic design, since high school. I had intended to go into that field, but life took me in a different direction, and I ended up in medical devices quite by accident.

I'm open to either, but my assumption is that I'll end up doing a ground-up build. That scares be a bit simply because I expect the body would easily take me 10 years to form from scratch. If I go the direction of a kit, it would be a basic kit to just get the body and bypass that monumental task.

I've actually been looking for body panels, whether damaged and discarded, or from an abandoned project, to get a start, but so far, that has been unsuccessful. In the meantime, I'm working on creating a CAD model of the body that I could use for building up the body in sections and then doing my own fiberglass.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'd not heard of them, and that price is better than what I've been seeing elsewhere. I'll certainly keep them in mind. I have plenty of time to think about is as there is quite a bit of planning left to do.

I get the notion that there's no reason to reinvent this thing, but I tend to either buy something finished or start from scratch, and there's no way I could afford one of these finished. I'm not claiming it's the smart way to do it, but it's just how I've tended to do things in the past. Plus, I get a little nostalgic about the fiberglass work. I've never done it before, but my grandfather did a lot of work with fiberglass molds. At the time, I found it boring, but now I'm wishing I'd have spent more time with him learning the trade.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Welcome to GT40s.com Nathan!

Good luck in your quest!

Good to see another possible scratch builder on here, especially from the USA, was starting to think there was no one left over there with enough drive & passion :)... for your body glass parts try contacting Bill Hough, Goes on here under FRPGUY or possibly another handle, some other scratch builders will point you in his direction if I have that wrong.

Yeah scratch building, that's a challenge, hats up to the boy who take it on!!. Take a look here....1964 Shelby Cobra 289FIA

m_DSC08039.jpg

Back