Into/Weird build proposal

Hi folks - Dan Bocek here. I've been dying to build a 40 for quite some time, and it's time to start thinking seriously about it. Being in the US, it seems there are not a lot of local choices for kits, but one does intrigue me - Active Power cars.

As far as I can tell, there is not yet a build thread for one of these. Can anyone here vouch for or complain about the quality of these kits? I want to go with a space frame, so I think that leaves RCR off the table.

Now, here's the weird part: being a Tesla owner and sold on the potential of electromotive power, I want to put an electric drivetrain in my 40. Doing that might even leave room for a third seat for our little tot! I know this isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I truly believe this is the way things are heading, and if the performance characteristics of the high end Teslas are any indication, huge amounts of electric power befitting the GT40 heritage will be possible and incredibly fun. Looking forward to talking to some of you...

-Dano-

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Hi Dan,

Welcome to GT40s.com...
There are a few people that have posted here using Active Power. That doesn't really reflect on the company or the quality of their cars - many people building these cars never find us or even know to look..
Here is one example of an older Active Power build. Use the search function for more..
http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-build-logs/23574-earls-sohc-cammer-gt40.html

Re: Electromotive power and changes to the chassis to accommodate..
I'm also keen on electric vehicles and have a motorcycle project that is headed that way. I currently have another bike (Honda CBR F1) that has already been through the change.. Nothing like full torque at zero RPM.
I would make sure I had a long chat with Chris at Active Power about making changes to the chassis. There is alot of strength given to the chassis by the center spine. If you take that away, you may well need to beef up the perimeter chassis..
Good luck with your project!

Last edited:
Hi Dan,
Welcome to the forum, and good luck with the interesting build!

Whilst I’ve never built an electric car, I do a lot of work with prototype and production electric/hybrid cars myself. I’m not trying to put you off, but I would go into this build with your eyes wide open.

Firstly electric cars are fairly dangerous. High voltage side on the battery packs is usually at least 300V but usually higher. Our technicians aren’t allowed to work on them without lots of training and there being someone else there with a large insulated hook to pull them off the power if they get a shock. Some manufacturers keep the prototypes in big steel cages! Think you’re working on an electricity substation and you’re roughly there.

You also have to get the temperature regulation of the cells sorted to ensure safe charge / discharge of the batteries. Otherwise you risk fire. We’re always told if an electric car catches fire, don’t bother to tackle it, retreat to 15m (likely projectile range) and let it burn as not even the fire brigade can put it out, only stop the spread.

I’m not convinced the GT40 is the right shape either – I’m guessing you fill the area where the fuel tanks are (sills) with batteries, but unfortunately these tuck under on the GT40 rather than being square, so won’t fit nearly as many cells in. And you probably don’t want too much 450V, liquid cooled lithium in the passenger compartment with you.

Drive wise it would be awesome, and it’s nice and lightweight. I don’t think that because of the above you’re better handing the car over to the experts to do the install and not attempting anything to do with the drivetrain yourself. Should also safe a lot of time – you’re probably doubling the length of the build by trying to fit an electric drivetrain. I’d keep the tesla for the wonderful achievement it is, but go slightly more conventional for the GT40.

Hope this doesn’t sound like too much of a downer, just trying to highlight the risks.

Duncan

Dan,
I have been interested in E Power for several years and have contemplated converting mine once I retire as cost of upkeep to my current car will be curtailed once that happens next year. So I may sell my engine/drivetrain and convert it. Long story short, I have researched this quite thoroughly. I would suggest talking to the people at EV West. they probably have the most work done so far.
Inside EVs | Electric Vehicle News, Reviews, and Reports
They have some great builds and probably have been doing this longer than anyone else. they have a couple of cool videos. One of a BMW that develops 400KW of energy. In car talk that is 340 or so HP with 850lb.ft. of torque!!! They do multiple engine setups as well and I think they hold the record for their class at the Pike Peak Hill climb. There is a video of it around here somewhere. Here is one of their more civilized builds. Search YouTube for more info as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVkJjt_Peg0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ie7qvo-aC5k

Here is a cool one with the Factory Five 818 car.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8bV8SKeQOo

Lots of luck and I say go for it. There are lots of places you can put the batteries as well as in the side pods. Above the motor for one and in the front "bonnet" area for another. Post your progress so others can follow you on this adventure.

Bill

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Duncan,

we have a customer with an EV XJ13 which has an aluminium monocoque chassis.
We have done a few EV cars here at RCR/Superlite.
We did actually beat Tesla (Elise) two years running at the National EV Autocross event.
Check out the Varley EVR-450 too
Happy to help if you want o drop us an email....

Back