Building a GT40 in Qatar

Hi All,

Really pleased to find this site and all the great info here.

Apart from owning an '89 Westfield SE when I was 19 years old (which I didn't build) i'm a kit car novice. For the last 17 years since then, building a car has been on my bucket list so I thought it was time to do something about it.

For the last 6 years I've lived in Qatar I've always said when I return to the UK ill build a car, however with no intention of returning home anytime soon I thought id look into building a car out here. I've seen a couple of Cobras etc.. here and I know importing a registered car is not a problem but I'm struggling to find any info of building a car here.

I'm looking at a kit possibly from Tornado although open to other suggestions, and but would be grateful for anyones experience with kit cars in the middle east.

Hi Andrew ... I took delivery of my Tornado kit in December .. And am very pleased with it .. You wont go wrong with ordering from Tornado .... And a warm welcome to you ...

JC..

Thanks for the replies. Seems Tornado have a good reputation and I have already received some info from Andy Sheldon from Tornado and he replied swiftly to my queries, which was nice. I will certainly look into Tornado further when back in the UK next and hopefully pay them a visit.

I've done a lot of research over the last couple of weeks and it seems there are many options. Are most kit manufactures happy to ship overseas? Or should I discount any on these grounds. ?

Tornado seems good value especially for their Super pro kit, does anything else compare for a package? RCR seem to do some pretty comprehensive kits less engine/gearbox etc... Just wondering how they would stack up price wise when all is included and any difference between the 2 on quality, skills required etc?

Also looking at the original GT40's many of the early MK1's have a 4 light rear tail. Does anyone offer this as an option with the kits?

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.

Hi John,

I believe all the MKII's have the 4 tail lights, however I prefer the MK1 shape but I like the 4 light set up which were on some Chassis such as P/1003 and P/1009. It doesn't seem to be available on the kits though.

Thanks,

Andrew

Back