Dreamer From UK

Today is the start of a dream to own that car in the poster that was on my bedroom wall 35 years ago. Hoping to buy an older replica already made that might need some work or a half-finished project as I can't afford to do this from scratch or have the time to.

Brian Magee

Supporter
Sam,
Welcome to the GT40 community.

Which poster was it? On my office wall I have ' Would you let your daughter marry a Ford owner' & 'If you've got GT fever... your Ford Dealer has the cure.'

Where abouts in the UK are you?

Brian.

Thanks for the welcome chaps. I'm in Deal, Kent so dangerously near Margate and GTForte.

Car in poster I don't know what GT40 it was as no longer have the poster. Perhaps it was GT/103 or 4. It was a blue one lol!

Hi Sam,

Welcome to GT40s.com

It's always good to have dream and something to work towards.

If you’re not already a member of the GT40 Enthusiasts Club I can highly recommend joining as it's always good to talk and meet up with fellow likeminded member.

We hold regular meets on the first Monday each month (this coming Monday) at Detling which is just outside Maidstone and isn't a million miles from you we start to gather from around 19.45pm if you fancy coming along.

We should have two or three GT's present weather depending and we also have three members that are currently in the build process.

Venue
The Cock Horse Inn
39 The Street,
Detling,
Maidstone,
Kent
ME14 3JT.

Chris Hale.

Cheers Chris, Detling close-enough, so that would be pretty cool. Can't make next monday, but one after i'll put in the diary and hope work behaves itself. I'm about pay my £30 subs to GT40 Enthusiasts Club, so should be a member soon anyway ; )

I've got a while to go to get the funds together. I'm here to lurk around and learn as much as possible while I save up. I've got £10K saved so far this year but i'm hoping to get a suitable package from Tornado and keep build hours down to a minimum with their aluminium mono chassis and as much ready to just bolt on as I can afford. Luckily I have free access to a car body shop next door to my unit at work and so at least the paintjob will only cost me a can of paint and a few beers, but the other £35K I think i'll need is gonna be the harder bit lol!

Thanks for the encouragement johnny. I've always loved the GT40 since 4 years old, but i'm not actually that crazy about cars generally or building cars despite my Dad who is crazy about restoring and building cars. At least someone will know what to do even if I don't when there's a few nuts and bolts left over in the box lol!

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
Hi Sam, have a look at Southern GT. Their kit is far better than Tornado, you have a much easier build, superb service from Mick Sollis, the owner.
A much stronger chassis, better design solutions both safety wise and suspension setup, no bumpsteer, light steering, correct steering geometry, low engine mounts resulting in correct engine height and low center of gravity. Better value in the end. Brilliant Lee Dawson bodywork needing very little work to fit.
Look in the build log forum at Southern GT #36.
You can use SGT steel uprights to keep costs down, but still be able to upgrade later for their inhouse original GT40 style ally uprights.

Well, just my two pennies worth having been around these cars for a while now.
Give Mick a call at 01489 788 345
Southern GT - Manufacturer of the new Southern GT40 Replica-fu177ce9eciedaf2hfsdf1fm00

Cheers,
Morten

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Morten

When did you build one of our cars so that you can compare it to that of another manufacturer?

How many GT40 replicas have you completed and driven on the road?

Just curious as to how you consider yourself qualified to make such comparisons.

Thanks

Andy

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
Andy: PM me so we dont clutter up this thread, and I will explain you in detail if you wish.
Cheers Morten

I'll look at Southern and all other manufacturers over the next few months, but the mono chassis from Tornado has really impressed me. If I go new build it has to be quick as in everything arrives and I smash through the build fast, otherwise I will buy used, but that idea is not so attractive at the moment.

Hi Sam

I'm sticking up for Tornado here. Not sure what experience Morten has of them, but as an owner I can recommend them. Andy has always been there when I'm in a panic!

The SGT car seems well made, but based on some of the experiences from fellow club members that we saw at Le Mans this year (by the way, my Tornado managed to drive there, go around the circuit, and drive home!), I don't think they are without issues.

My advise is to get to a club meeting and speak to some owners. Look at the different cars. Ask to go for a drive in them. Then make a proper rounded decision.

I hope this helps!

Darren

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Morten

Why would I want to pm you? I am not interested in your personal views about our company or products.

If you don't want to clutter this thread I suggest you stop posting rubbish.

Andy

Sam, spend your time as well as your very hard earned cash wisely and do your research before committing to anything, come and have a coffee and look at a few cars here anytime, I am in East Sussex, only a couple of hours away from you, Frank

Sam,

You will find naturally most members will defend the manufacturer of their cars. I am no expert, and it depends what you are after, if you want to do a lot of track work as I understand it you will need to make sure you have Tornado's upgraded wishbones or fit SGT ones as many owners have.

To me, again as a non expert and in my opinion, the thickness of the standard suspension pick up points, chassis and wishbones on the SGT was important, others of the Colin Chapman persuasion may disagree ;)

The SGT car seems well made, but based on some of the experiences from fellow club members that we saw at Le Mans this year (by the way, my Tornado managed to drive there, go around the circuit, and drive home!), I don't think they are without issues.

Darren

Darren,

It depends what you mean by "issues", are you talking about parts made by SGT, chassis, wishbones etc or parts from another manufacturer supplied by SGT.

I know of a Tornado that didn't make it to the track or back from Le Mans under it's own steam.

When there are issues they get sorted, in fact Mick sent me an email tonight offering any assistance required to fix a current issue. He was on holiday last week as well so may well have only just got back.

Again I must stress this is not about an SGT manufactured part.

Last edited:
Hi Nick

I think you've got me all wrong. I'm not claiming that Tornado are perfect, or that SGT aren't (I was hoping that my email would not read as biased at all...). However, I have to stand up for Tornado as a satisfied customer as I think that Morten's sweeping statements were unjustified. Tornado have been doing their thing for years, so you'd like to think that the product is pretty polished by now!

FYI, the SGT issues related to CV joints popping out their bearings due to the rear suspension geometry. I know Mick was trying to help them...

I've used SGT for my own exhausts and some other parts, and am happy with their service too.

I hope this helps!

Darren

Hi all just to make it clear the SGT car that had the issues with the cv joints was caused by incorrect length gearbox adaptors being fitted which were not supplied by sgt.
Regards mick.

Back