Newbie scratch build from France

Hi,

pleased to meet you all, virtually meet at least.

Anyway, after fence sitting for a while between starting a 356 coupe replica or a GT40, the gt40 has won, mainly from reading so many awesome scratch build threads has convinced me yes I can do it too. And my brother will be doing a 356 in the next couple of years and I know I will be the one tapped on the shoulder to do the work, he is one of those software engineers who has trouble changing a light bulb ( one of my jobs when I go see him) . But that will be a more bolt together with off the shelf parts and a beetle chassis.

Why scratch and not a kit? cost is a factor, but mostly because I used to be involved in the kit industry in the late 80s I do not trust anyone to do a complete kit that would be to my needs all over, no disrespect to those in the industry now, so I will mix and match parts, it is also more a building and learning project than a desire to get on the road as fast as possible. (Aim for 3 years to complete, expect 5, if done in 7 years I will be happy)

I have just started parts collecting, so far, 2 headlamps from a 2cv, so I am off to a brilliant start. I think I have found an A6 01E locally for a great price too. No idea the engine yet, 302 probably, tried and tested and I can get a used plastic mock up block cheap. But an Audi 4.2 is still on the cards if I can find one.

My car owning background is car restoration, but I have found the prices of what I like have risen above what I am willing to pay. It is hard to pay 10 grand for something I use to buy for 500 euro for years.

No great attempt to make it 100% period correct at the expense of usability, just look it, fantasy period looking race colour scheme.

I still have loads of questions.

Sorry for a simple hello turning into an essay.

I do have a question though, could I just get away with a spider, windscreen and doors to get the chassis built, Or do you need the front and rear clips to get it all lined up?

Space is always at a premium, and since I won't be ready for the front and rear bodywork for 2 years and they will just get in the way.

Chassis will be probably GT forte laser cut tube set to just boost me into getting the ball rolling quicker.

I am heading to England in a month or so, spider and doors will fit, clips won't.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Welcome to the obsession that is GT40's

When you say spider, are you referring to a "spider" version which does not have a roof over the cockpit or the spindly 4 leg center section into which the doors fit?

If it is the 4 leg center section I have seen it said on numerous builds that trying to fit it and the two clips takes a very long time as each movement in one bit causes suit lines to others move in ways you would not believe.
The bit to my eyes that is the most difficult is the front outermost side of left hand door matching to the spider surround with the windscreen fitted.(it does make a difference with and without having the screen)

But these are fiberglass and nothing is insurmountable and cannot be fixed with enough to time effort and sometimes money being thrown at it.

I have heard good things about Lee Dawson fiberglass parts and they appear to fit together well.

Ian

Central body and doors are only usefull when used with front and rear bonnets ( clips) and it is also more than advisable to have the windscreen too as effectivly most of the surmoulded bodies do not fit perfectly one with another . ( beside Lee Dawson parts that are -from what all guys who did that choice - top notch quality )
The biggest issue in scratch built and adapting body is more linked to the quality of the metal assembly ( tubes have to be "true" and square ; etc etc
then as far as the chassis is welded following accurate drawings or coming as a a laser kit pack there is no reason to have the body before
It's more important to go forward in doing an nice chassis and then when it's time to weld the last roll bar or watever part connected to the body ( doors hinges etc etc) to go directly to the best supplier and not try to save very smal amount ; this will drive evidently to hundred of hours of trimming cutting and laminating parts !!!
Otherwise sometime ago on the forum René from south of France did an excellent scratch built using is proper chassis drawing ( very nice done ) and buying abody from Daren
the thread is more than interressant !! "Riviera scratch built " name like so more or less
If to be done actually my choice will be :
Chassis done with René drawings ( they are on the forum )
Suspension uprights front and rear from John Wisher
Bodywork from Lee Dawson

Hope this helps

Spider, I meant the cockpit surround, it seem what you guys call them. A convertible GT 40 seems a bit odd to my eyes. I was assuming already the cockpit, windscreen and doors was a package deal to get fitted well with each other, more labour, less outlay.

It was mainly René's build that convinced me, I really like the route he went. Not spending a fortune, but doing things right from the get go.

the path was either prioritise the chassis to a roller with no bodywork at all or get some bodywork on, the latter is better to keep me driving the project forward, I actually enjoy the bodywork side of things, even in Fiberglass,

I will build the chassis on a big square table on wheels, I will have to do it pushed outside as my workshop is full of wood as it is a cabinet making shop first.

As for bodywork supplier, I was planning on checking out the UK suppliers when I go to the UK soon. Does anyone have contact details of Lee Dawson?

Has anyone got one of these through the DRIRE or whatever it is called this week in France? I spoke to a local beetle garage who does buggies and he said the only way now is to get it uk registered first. But would I still need a certificate of conformity or does the uk chassis number come E marked?

Or maybe Brexit will screw that path up.

If you where watching at René build so why to buy alaser kit tube ?
It's more convenient to do like he did ( buying his proper tubes ) doing steel or stainless chassis and then adapt watever suspension you like .
Concerning French homologation it's along long way to go and none of the solution others can explain you are adaptable to your proper case .....
Every one have his proper "tricks" for that ; it's avery very tuff work to get an homologation as your car will not be built by any "confirmed " brand builder and there are no UK kit supplier having done this sort of homologation ; so the only way is to go with a " Reception à titre isolé " with all the mandatory test the DRIRE office will ask you !!!! large amount of money and time to spend to read and write all specific forms if by chance they give you the opportuninty to open the doors !!!
If you want to go with the solution of registred car in UK ; Drire are allowed to ask many test as they do not consider IVA articles as European ones so they can ask watever test they want ( which is not in conformity with EC rules !!!)
Now with the Brexit is worth ,as they will for sure tell you , that a UK registration is no more ( specially if you will present your built in 5/7 years ) acceptable as asimple transfer of single unit homologation
So ...... registration is ..... very very long and tedious project to add to your built ......

Back