Long time guest

Long time guest, first time poster. I’ve always been into the GTs and always figured they were just another car I’d never be able to own. I’ve researched replicas before and felt that they were always a hodgepodge if a Fiero with a body kit. That was until I came across this site and all of you true scholars.

I have a “jack of all trades” mechanical background. In high school i went to a technical school for automotive technology and worked with a company restoring and customizing corvettes. After school I was a crew chief on C-130s in the Air Force which brings me to now working in sales for Subaru.

My goal is to build a reliable daily ish driver, MK1, 351w. My question then is how often does everybody drive their cars?

Rick Merz

Lifetime Supporter
Welcome Luc!

When I built my 1st GT40 I built it with the goal of being a daily driver and a good track car for open track events. I built it to be reliable and fast and it lived up to my expectations. I drove it every month of the year as long as it wasn't raining since I ran A6's and A7's most of the time and I didn't want to clean it after running it through water and dirt, dust comes off with less work. GT40's take some work to be made watertight (interior) but it can be done, I did it as have many others.

Rick

In the winter (snow salt) I don't drive, but start 'em up. If it going to be rainy, I don't drive anything nice, especially anything black. So I have a garage of nice shiny cars that rarely get the undercarriage dirty. Yes I clean there also.
I see your in the area of the country that has weather like we have. Rains in the evening on summer days. The 40s don't like traffic stop and go either. Another consideration is low visibility in these cars. Bad in wet weather.
I like to drive on cool mornings up in the mountains. I trying to get to a point in my life of 'wax on, wax off'.
Today is a Chevy Silverado rainy day. Enjoy the ride

Rick Merz

Lifetime Supporter
My first 40 was a GTD GT40 that I built and owned from 1995 to 2005. I am currently building a RCR GT40 which should be ready for paint by May 2018. I have had many nice cars but the only car I regret selling was my GTD GT40 since no other car that I had was as much fun to drive. I have restored or modified several cars, my number 2 favorite car would be the '77 280z that I heavily modified with a LS3 for power and a full ISMA body that I modified further. Link to an online article - Rick's Masterpiece - LS3 Swapped 1977 Datsun 280Z - The Modified Lifestyle | Revvolution

Rick

Attachments

• datsun-280z-ls-swap-26752.jpg
    datsun-280z-ls-swap-26752.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 525
  • Rick Merz 1977 280Z.jpg
    Rick Merz 1977 280Z.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 358
  • IMG_1425 2028.jpg
    IMG_1425 2028.jpg
    449 KB · Views: 411

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
In the winter (snow salt) I don't drive, but start 'em up. If it going to be rainy, I don't drive anything nice, especially anything black. So I have a garage of nice shiny cars that rarely get the undercarriage dirty. Yes I clean there also.
I see your in the area of the country that has weather like we have. Rains in the evening on summer days. The 40s don't like traffic stop and go either. Another consideration is low visibility in these cars. Bad in wet weather.
I like to drive on cool mornings up in the mountains. I trying to get to a point in my life of 'wax on, wax off'.
Today is a Chevy Silverado rainy day. Enjoy the ride

We might be related ;)

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
Luc - these cars are great to drive, but not in rain or snow. Because they attract so much attention and don't have doors that lock, I wouldn't park somewhere and walk away for a few hours. Having said that, I've put 14,000 miles on my car since 2011.

Back