New Jersey Builder

Joel K

Supporter
Hi Everyone,

I've been visiting the site for about 5 months now and am really enjoying it. Especially learning about how people are approaching their builds.

I live in Central New Jersey and have been a car nut all my life. While I enjoy many hobbies(1/4 scale and 1/5 scale RC racing, model trains, and Reef Aquariums), my real passion has been sports cars, muscle cars, and car racing. Have owned a few Corvettes, a couple Vipers, and now a Challenger Hellcat. All of them were a lot of fun to own and drive.

Last year I was on the Hellcat forums and someone posted a question about building a kit car. It got me thinking and I quickly started researching it. After reading about 100 build threads, staring at various kit car photos I thought this would be a lot of fun.

My research took me over to the Superlite.com web site. Being a huge IMSA Fan back in the 80's the SL-C caught my eye. I met up with a local builder in the early stages of his build and was really impressed by the kit.

Being 6'2" and a big dude I was concerned I could not fit, so took a trip to see Fran at RCR. It was great to meet him and see the operation. I recommend everyone considering a build to go to the factory.

After a little more research and connecting with a couple more builders on-line and also meeting with another local SLC builder I pulled the trigger.

Building the car should be a lot of fun and meeting many different people along the way to enjoy the hobby with will be great.

So with that said, I'll be starting a build thread at some point when the car is built and on its way to me.

Looking forward to being part of the community!

Joel,

sounds very exciting.. Pay attention to detail, you'll have a nice car. I spent a lot of time in new jersey. Don't know what the inspection/emission laws are today.. Might want to look into vehicle registration and insurance before you take a bite of the apple.

Joel K

Supporter
Joel,

sounds very exciting.. Pay attention to detail, you'll have a nice car. I spent a lot of time in new jersey. Don't know what the inspection/emission laws are today.. Might want to look into vehicle registration and insurance before you take a bite of the apple.

Thanks Walt. This was a big concern. NJ does not make it easy for sure. There is no SB100 classification like California and nearby PA has no emissions requirements. I have gotten into the details with one of the inspectors who has been very helpful and have read the safety requirements multiple times and reviewed them with him.

I think I have a plan which should enable me to meet both the safety and emissions standards. Not ideal in some areas but I think it will work out.

Back