Looking to order chassis this summer

Technically I'm not a newbie having posted here about two years ago, but since then I've sold my 2nd Cobra, started building a third, got divorced and had two kids !!

I'm hopeful that this summer I can place an order for a GT40 chassis. Just need to decide which. On my list I have Tornado, Southern GT or a GTForte flatpack. Are there any others I should be considering?

What are the main differences between chassis design and gearbox choice (I think GT Forte might be Audi with the other two using Renault)?

Engine choice for me I think is 302 Ford but what are the other options?

Overall, built to the same spec, what should my budget be for each kit?

Technically I'm not a newbie having posted here about two years ago, but since then I've sold my 2nd Cobra, started building a third, got divorced and had two kids !!

I'm hopeful that this summer I can place an order for a GT40 chassis. Just need to decide which. On my list I have Tornado, Southern GT or a GTForte flatpack. Are there any others I should be considering?

What are the main differences between chassis design and gearbox choice (I think GT Forte might be Audi with the other two using Renault)?

Engine choice for me I think is 302 Ford but what are the other options?

Overall, built to the same spec, what should my budget be for each kit?
Hi Craig,

Welcome back, I have a Southern GT with a Porsche G50 gearbox, others I know have Renault, Quaife, ZF and I believe Audi.

General advice is usually visit all the manufacturers you are thinking of buying from, ask questions, talk to as many builders/ owners that you can, take a look at the build threads on here and then my advice on top of that buy a Southern GT ;).

Hi Craig,

Welcome back, I have a Southern GT with a Porsche G50 gearbox, others I know have Renault, Quaife, ZF and I believe Audi.

So are those gearbox options for the chassis or are those the ones you can make fit with some mods?

General advice is usually visit all the manufacturers you are thinking of buying from, ask questions, talk to as many builders/ owners that you can, take a look at the build threads on here

That's my plan, looking forward to the tour !

Craig.

Hi Craig ... ihave just finished a Tornado . very straight forward . good build I did enjoy it . I have the Renault box. I also built a Cobra . a few years ago .. As you said your self Visit them all .M ick at Southern is a nice guy as is Andy at Tornado both very helpful. don't know much about GT forte .. I'm sure you will get plenty of advice on here .. Good luck with your search ...

Hi Craig,
I echo the statements above. Visit the potential suppliers and make sure you get on with them on a personal level. You are going to be spending a lot of money with them and you will need their support all the way through a build.

The other thing that is important is the ability to complete your build as quickly as possible. The IVA regs are constantly changing and becoming ever harder. If you take too long, by the time you get near completion, the regs will have changed and you will constantly be chasing your tail.

A Ford 302 is a wonderful thing ...... HOWEVER, there has just been yet another consultation with a proposal to remove the option of getting an 'Engine Dating Certificate'. The outcome of the consultation will not be published for a while yet. Depending on the outcome you may have no choice but to go down the injection route with cats.

Andy at Tornado and Mick at Southern GT work very hard to keep on top of all the challenges ....... you need to make them your best friend!

Back