SGT #49 build

Hi all,
So I have embarked on the build of Southern GT #49. It has been a long time in planning. Mick, of course, has been great as I work through panelling the space frame and I am now looking forward to the next bit (once I have done the cockpit and the front!

Mike Pass

Supporter
Welcome Alex. We look forward to your build log and pics of the build. If you post your location we can direct you to your nearest group of the GT40 Enthusiasts Club. They will be able to show you cars and will have lots of info and experience to help you.

Cheers
Mike

Shaun

Supporter
Hi Alex
Great news, I am waiting for my chassis which I think is about to start production (maybe number 52 or 53 not sure). so our build will run almost in parallel if I can catch up :)
Where are you based?
Great setup at SGT, real proper old school engineering producing a top end high tech design without any bloody computers, the smell of that place alone should be canned and used as an air freshener.... oil, metal and weld, perfect!!
Cheers
Shaun

Hi, I agree, the set up at SGT is great and Mick and Carol are brill. I am based near Guildford and need to go more regularly to the local enthusiasts club.
Best
Alex

Shaun

Supporter
Hi Alex
Great stuff, I am in Fletching not far from Hayward's Heath we should keep in touch, you doing a build log or anything? Any thoughts in engine / gearbox, etc yet?
Cheers

Hi Shaun, I am going to try to do a build log, we will see! I have opted for a ZFQ gearbox as being more original. The engine I have yet to decide on. Let’s definitely stay in touch

Shaun

Supporter
Hi Alex
I would have loved the ZQF, just the cost issue on that but by far the best solution, I may regret it later so maybe I will have a think, credit card time :)
Only going to do this once I guess.....

Hi Frank,
As someone who’s considering a ZFQ as a future upgrade, perhaps you’d like to elaborate on what these issues are
Regards,
Andy

Shaun

Supporter
Hi Frank
Thanks for the heads up, as Andy mentions what are the issues? Can an upgraded UN1 cope ok with the power, its a route budget wise I would like to go but as this is a one off build I am looking at all options. As always advice greatly received
Cheers

Glenn M

Supporter
You're such an old gossip Frank!

I have to say that my experience with the ZFQ is the complete opposite. Having driven cars with other gearboxes, I wouldn't want anything else. The gearchange is like a hot knife through butter, it adds so much to the driving experience. Mine has done 25k miles now and the odd one or two of those have been on track so it hasn't been cosseted.

Back