T70--1966?

I inherited this B&W photo from an office mate who retired. He remembers very little of the occasion. He thinks the photo was taken at Las Vegas, so this could be at the Stardust GP. Time frame may be 1966. That's all I know.

Attachments

• LolaT70.web.jpg
    LolaT70.web.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 1,050
Below is another photo from the same race, and this one has "1967" written on the back, so my guess of 1966 for the Lola shot was off by one year. This is Jim Hall's legendary Chaparral. Love that wing!

Attachments

• LolaT70-#2.web.jpg
    LolaT70-#2.web.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 1,017
The car pictured is a T70 Mk3b CanAm, probably chassis # 75/123 or 75/124 . the T70 M3b can am is not to be confused with the T70 Mk3B GT as the chassis were completly different. The T70 3B GT was actually patterned off the T162 chassis (or vice versa) . The 3B canAm was a lightened Mk3 chassis featuring extra lightening holes in the front and rear bulkheads. The Can Am M3B also had its rear suspension relocated about 2 inches inward requiring longer wishbones and upper links. the fronts were also slightly longer but I can't remember just how much. The 3b Can Ams also used the blunt no headlight nose, 18/4 and 16/4 Girling 4 piston brakes with vented rotors and 12'' rear wheels, these brakes were also available on the Mk2 and Mk3 spyders for an additional 1000 Lbs. and standard on the Mk3 GT's. Only 4 of these cars were built chassis # 75/122 went to Gurney; and if my memory serves 75/123 and 75/124 went to Penske and 75/125 went to Surtees. In the era they were also referred to as a Mk3 ''lightweight'' as they were supposedly about 100 pounds lighter than a standard Mk3 spyder.

Last edited:
Sorry .... I guess it goes with out saying but the driver is either Mark Donahue or George Follmer and J6 is right ...1967

CliffBeer

CURRENTLY BANNED
That looks like an aircraft carrier conning tower in the background. There are other distant nautical looking items (booms on container ships). Looks like San Diego area maybe. I doubt it's LV. There were a few tracks in the area at that time.

Keith

Nice picture Johan. Excuse my ignorance, but what is that sticking through the engine cover of the McLaren next door? Is it a mag? Looks like a wastegate but surely not.....:confused:

Back