T70 at Mallory Park Today..

Hi all -

I was at a test day today, supporting some friends and came across this in the paddock amongst some other 'nice' machinery...rockonsmile

It looked and sounded awesome having just been "rebuilt from a bare chassis in the last 14 days"...

But, alas, it was not hooning around the track as there was a transmission issue. Speaking to the engineers, it would appear that there was possibly a shimming issue that left it stuck in second once driven (trans had also been rebuilt). All the gears selected ok prior to today, but this would have been the first driven test... Still, better to identify on a test day rather than a race day, after all, that's what test days are for...

A few pics...

Attachments

• IMG_1227.jpg
    IMG_1227.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 563
  • IMG_1228.jpg
    IMG_1228.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 604
  • IMG_1229.jpg
    IMG_1229.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 560
  • IMG_1230.jpg
    IMG_1230.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 547
  • IMG_1232.jpg
    IMG_1232.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 587
  • IMG_1239.jpg
    IMG_1239.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 534
  • IMG_1240.jpg
    IMG_1240.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 489
  • IMG_1241.jpg
    IMG_1241.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 505
and a few more..

Attachments

• IMG_1242.jpg
    IMG_1242.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 495
  • IMG_1246.jpg
    IMG_1246.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 506
  • IMG_1247.jpg
    IMG_1247.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 487
  • IMG_1248.jpg
    IMG_1248.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 536
  • IMG_1249.jpg
    IMG_1249.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 479
  • IMG_1399.jpg
    IMG_1399.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 494
  • IMG_1401.jpg
    IMG_1401.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 564
  • IMG_1402.jpg
    IMG_1402.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 501
  • IMG_1403.jpg
    IMG_1403.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 459
Couldnt help noticing the Allan Minshaw name on the Chevron Transporter, looks like the same car that was out here in NZ @ SFOS about 4 years ago ( albeit in darker blue). Tell him to come back again, JO needs the competition.:)

Yes, SL76/147..
It used to have red around the nose inlet. I love the color of that car.
My eyes are not so good but I think those are big Dunlops...

Good old SL 76/147...note that it still even carries its original oil tank,
quite different from the one utilised in Lola´s continuation cars nowadays.

Here´s a pic of the car parking around the corner from my office:

Attachments

• IMGP0625.JPG
    IMGP0625.JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 542
Hi Paul
You will be pleased to know we found the problem with gearbox, new dog rings , new hubs , they were just to tight, the gearbox guy had to lap them in with valve grinding paste !!
Back at Mallory this wednesday !! Hopefully she will turn a wheel this time.

Hi Jon and a warm welcome to the forum. Your Lola T70 looks just great and I look forward to seing it run at a future event. Alas I am unlikely to make Mallory this Wednesday due to other commitments but I hope you have a good test session and all goes to plan. :thumbsup:

If you are able, do please follow up with an update and perhaps some pictures of the day, there are a great many fans of the T70 and other similar classic racers on the forum and they'd certainly like to hear.

Hi Jon and a warm welcome to the forum. Your Lola T70 looks just great and I look forward to seing it run at a future event. Alas I am unlikely to make Mallory this Wednesday due to other commitments but I hope you have a good test session and all goes to plan. :thumbsup:

If you are able, do please follow up with an update and perhaps some pictures of the day, there are a great many fans of the T70 and other similar classic racers on the forum and they'd certainly like to hear.

I`ll try, The test has to go well as its the last chance before its loaded up and heads for Mugello, Talk about last minute !! the lads have worked none stop for the last 2 months. We took the car back to a bare cassis then reriveted and reglued the chassis as the glue over the last 39 years had all rotted away. Some job!!
Will keep you informed of the progress , race results and pics
Jon

Keith

Hey Jon! Good to have such a famous racing name on the forum...

Welcome and keep us posted...... :thumbsup:

Paul , Kieth Johan
Thought you might like to see the other Lola I am lucky enough to own.
SL71/31 . The Denny Hulme spyder.

Attachments

• SL71 31.jpg
    SL71 31.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 490
Very nice Jon...

As Keith says, it will be great to have you on the forum for updates and progress as and when you are able to...

I know that a great many forum members are fortunate enough to be of an age where they emember the Lolas and other historic cars (not forgetting the 40s of course) when they ran 'in their day'. Alas I am not so it's great to see them being used and not just sitting in Museums. They certainly stir the emotions far more than the majority of modern steeds in my eyes.

Are you likely to have any cars at the Goodwood Festival of Speed or Revival meetings this year?

jon ---lucky man. but now how can i concetrate on the work. steve. ( bein a kiwi and all. )

Beautiful cars both. Would you consider bringing them over to the USA for some of the larger events this year ? Lola is the featured Marque...

Back