Rebuild pretty much finished at last

Thought it was about time i posted a few pictures of my rebuild. The car is an original 1967 T70 mk3 bodyshell with a space frame chassis road registered as a 1971 T70 special. It has a 406 SBC pushing out close to 500bhp @ 520Lbs torque using a G50 gearbox, rear uprights are Ultima front TVR Cerbera with AP brakes all round. (sorry will only let me load one image at the moment!!)

Attachments

• lolaSANY0317.JPG
    lolaSANY0317.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 491
  • lolaSANY0262lola.JPG
    lolaSANY0262lola.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 574
  • SANY0265lola.JPG
    SANY0265lola.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 575
  • SANY0269lola.JPG
    SANY0269lola.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 415
  • SANY0270lola.jpg
    SANY0270lola.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 421
  • SANY0271lola.JPG
    SANY0271lola.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 440
  • SANY0273lola.JPG
    SANY0273lola.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 455
  • lolalolaabovelola.jpg
    lolalolaabovelola.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 426
  • lolachassis.jpg
    lolachassis.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 564
Last edited:
Hi Mark

Car looks fabulous!

How about a few words on what it's like to drive on the road? You must get quite a reaction from other road users:laugh:

Also, can you tell what ground clearance you are running?

Cheers

Fred W B

Hi Fred the reaction on the road is always positive from shear disbelief to utter amusement. To drive it grips really well even with the fairly narrow 265 rear tyres and handles like a large go-cart, it will pull like a train in any gear but from 80 to 140 it is incredible haven’t been any faster yet (still running in!!) feels a little twitchy over 100 but I have not set the final ride height and the steering needs a UJ changing.
I am going to drop the front 1 inch currently 6 inches the back is about the same will leave this but wind up the spring platforms to stiffen the rear slightly. I will probably extend the flat floor to the rear of the car it currently ends after the driver’s floor and I need to channel the air through the nose more efficiently with some new panelling. Hows your car coming along?

Nice job, but I am puzzled, How do you get around the headlight issue for road rego assuming that they are the ones mounted in the radiator opening.

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
I am going to drop the front 1 inch currently 6 inches the back is about the same will leave this but wind up the spring platforms to stiffen the rear slightly.

Lovely looking car Mark.

I don't think winding up the rear spring platforms will stiffen anything unless the shocks are at full extension at ride height. Not desirable!

Winding up the rear spring platforms will only raise the back of the car.

Cheers

Thanks Mark.

I am hoping to run 80 to 100 mm ground clearance, but this might be wildly optomistic for the road. I am still fiddling about with my body pattern.

I also wondered about the lights.

Cheers

Fred W B

The rear lights are original, the front side lights and indicators are from an auto store the lights in the grill are driving lights I added just in case I got caught out after dark but were not attached at test time! Russ of course your right I am actually raising the rear about 1/2 an inch.
Fred the ride heights stated are from the chassis the front winglets are lower and I have to avoid speed humps will take a few more measurements when I have adjusted the suspension.
I will try and post a few rebuild pictures over the weekend

I think it would be fairly simple to fit a street nose with standard MK II headlights. That is what I have done. Two noses for dual usage. Costs less than driving home with lights that are too low, possibly getting pulled over for an equipment check/violation, or damage of some sort.

Hi Johan I almost got my hands on a damaged Mk 2 nose with lights but the team crunched the new nose and used the old one for repairs before I had managed to do a deal with them. Will keep a lookout for one but the prices new are pretty high. To be honest the car is used mainly in daylight and if i have to travel to shows etc I trailer it, sitting on 1" of foam for to long is not good for the butt!!!

What do you call high ? I have a MK III nose I don't need, but alas, it is a bit different than a MK II nose in the area of the windshield. A MK II nose is a couple thousand dollars here in the US without lights or paint.

Hi johan the bodyshell is a mk 3 do you have a nose with lights for a mk3? Still the postage to the UK would be expensive. The last quote I got a couple of years ago here was @ £3500 for a new nose.

Thought I would post a few pictures of the rebuild/parts used etc There are a few of the chassis while being panelled, a couple of the engine the rear ultima upright and the balance pipe which both tanks drop into this is baffled and used as the fuel pickup.
I will get a few more together and post them next week.

Attachments

• chassis2.jpg
    chassis2.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 378
  • fueltank1.jpg
    fueltank1.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 329
  • enginefront.jpg
    enginefront.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 339
  • enginebay.jpg
    enginebay.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 335
  • frontchassis.jpg
    frontchassis.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 333
  • insidep2.jpg
    insidep2.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 310
  • rearup4.jpg
    rearup4.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 364
  • steering3.jpg
    steering3.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 322
  • balancepipe.jpg
    balancepipe.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 329
  • enginetop.jpg
    enginetop.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 340
Hi johan the bodyshell is a mk 3 do you have a nose with lights for a mk3? Still the postage to the UK would be expensive. The last quote I got a couple of years ago here was @ £3500 for a new nose.

I do have a spare MK III nose... but it would require a lot of fitting to your car. A brand new MK II nose made just for you and shipped to the UK would be a lot less than what you are being quoted.

This is a MK III nose. See how it fits a curved windshield ?
noses_and_wheels_004_Small_1.jpg

noses_and_wheels_012_Small_.jpg

noses_and_wheels_010_Small_.jpg

This is a MK II nose
noses_and_wheels_008_Small_.jpg

noses_and_wheels_013_Small_.jpg

Back