T70 Spider Rep Thoughts.....

Hi all,

Firstly, congrats on a great forum. I’ve been a member of many forums over the years and have been really impressed with amount of useful data and help posted here - I’ve been trawling through over the last few days. Very refreshing. I’m getting to the stage in life where I think I can justify a mid-life crisis :thumbsup: and have been trying to decide what to buy/build for road use primarily, but occasional track use. I used to have a terrific KCC Cobra rep with a 480hp-ish Chevy 350 in. It was fantastic. I love the US engines - fantastic across the board. However, I think for my next purchase I am keen to go mid-engined as, in general terms, a mid engine car is likely to be dynamically superior to a front engined one and my current race car (a Radical) is mid-engined too. I’ve always been a fan of the GT40, but at 6’2” my height is against me. I know most of the modern replicas can deal with a bloke my size, but it would always be a squeeze. The natural alternative would the Ultima GTR, but there is something about it that I just don’t really like. I’m not sure what. Perhaps it is just that the styling isn’t entirely to my taste - I think I prefer classic lines…. form following function etc. So, those factors along with the general increase in temperatures during the British summer (good old global warming!) leading me towards a roofless model, have helped me decide upon a T70 Spider rep. Oh, and the fact that they look fantastic and the Lola is a great bit of history for anyone interested in racing etc…..

As I said, the car will mostly be for road use (as I wouldn’t want to trash it racing it) with occasional track use and I intend to build it myself as that is half of the fun. I am fairly mechanically and electrically competent (I’m an electrical and electronic engineer but I spend most of my spare time doing mechanical engineering) and I do all of the work on the racing car myself. Well, almost all. However my welding leaves a lot (A LOT!) to be desired - so I wouldn’t want to do any ‘difficult’ fabrication. That seems to leave me with two main options for manufacturer: GD who make the GD T70 and RCR’s offering which is well covered on this forum. I know that GD are well known for their engineering standards and Fran seems to be very well regarded in the states and on here. It sounds like both offerings would fit the bill, but as GD are in the UK and can supply all parts, including the engine (I’d probably go for an LS7) and gearbox (G50), ready to simply bolt together they make the logical choice. However, I stand by to be corrected! Please let me know if that is poor logic.

I haven’t spoken to GD yet but plan to this afternoon. I’d be really interested in your collective thoughts regarding them and their products - the T70 in particular. One of the key aspects for me is being able to get the car through the IVA (which has just replaced the SVA) here in the UK; although GD are well known for ensuring their cars pass with the minimum of fuss.

Thanks, in advance, for your thoughts and help. Please let me know if there is anything else I should keep in mind. I’d really like to hear from any UK GD T70 owners out there. I’m based near London and happy to drive to most areas of the country to pick someone’s brains over a pint!

Cheers.

Paul

great choice my man. the gd is somewhat narrower than the org. t70 but has the advantage of a screen and wiper. Fran does a full sized replica though i'm not sure if it has a glass screen and wiper. i have a full sized body ( mk 2) and space frame built but all must wait 'till the super DaimlerSP250 is commissioned. just love doing the development on these toys. regards all steve

Well, I had very illuminating chats with both Fran and Andy (from GD) yesterday. The choice is not as simple as it at first seemed. Well done Fran! :) Both the GD T70 and the RCR-70 have pros and cons. I'll be spending the next few weeks working up detailed costings (I suspect that even when the dreaded import tax and VAT are considered there will be little between the GD and the RCR once the pre-work that I would want doing on the GD is done) all leading towards a decision.

I do need to consider the IVA of both versions so I would really appreciate hearing from anyone who has experience of taking either car through the IVA or SVA.

I also need to consider the dreaded import duty and VAT issue with the RCR and I would also really appreciate any info that anyone who has imported one could impart. Basically, what's the damage and how hard is it.

I am starting to get that excited feeling...... :)

Many thanks in anticipation!

Paul

Paul:

Great pool to select from. If you can disclose without betraying any confidences, what were the top 3 points that impress you with your conversations with both Andy and Fran?

- Paul

Hi Paul I am Jan From the Netherlands and i own a GD T70 with an ls7.
The car is factori bilt and it looks fantastic it is the green with orange stripes one, on the GD web site
We collect the car in November 2008,and we have driven about 5500 miles.
Great to drive on road and on track, its'lift of.
We dit the Mille Miglia in Itali,and the italians are realy crazy when looking at a car like that
About tracks,i am stil a bit scary ( i was used to a TVR Griffith) with Braking and cornering But on the strate its fantastic ,Nurienbergring F1 curcuit 170 miles.
jan

Paul,

Both Andy and Fran were very helpful and personable and clearly knew everything about the fine detail of their products and the business. Neither was negative about their competitors' products and were honest about the pros and cons of thier own products. It will be a tough choice. I will have to weigh up ease of SVA/IVA compliance (probably favouring the GD if nothing else because they are in the UK and easier for me to get to) against the potentially lower cost of the RCR (depending on exhange rate). I am not a purist, so the mono vs tubular issue doesn't really bother me. Lots more research required!

Jan,

Glad you are enjoying yours! Your car is the one that my other half picked off the GD site as her favourite colour scheme. I like the orange one and the blue one myself. :) It is great to hear the tales of enjoyment - they make all the pain of IVA etc seem worthwhile.

Cheers.

Paul

Hi Paul,

I too have a GD T70 Spyder mine has the LS2 engine with 5sp G50 box and it is extremely quick as a road car. I have nothing but praise for the way Andy and all the team at GD are there to help with the build. The SVA was painless, all I had to do was deliver the car to Andy and he took it to the station that has done the majority of cars for him. It passed first time. Since then I have enjoyed the car when ever I have the time...
Cheers,

David Whyman.

David,

Thanks for that. I you fancy showing it off anytime I would be more than happy to be on the recieving end!

:D

Paul

a friend off mine is also building one.
But he started the project with a toyota v8 engine. And that set up will not fit.Now he will go for the easy route an ls engine.

the build is quit straight forward. I have build a gd427 with a ls1 and that was an easy and nice build.

Contact with andy is always top.

mischa

i'm in the UK, if you need any help/info give me a bell or pm me for details etc, more than happy to help. i also built a GD T70 and found it a great project, with plenty of help available at all times. I will be sprinting mine on Aug 2nd at Barkston heath and on track at Silverstone on 4th September if you'd like a look.
mine is LS6 and G50 powered.
cheers
chris

Hi Paul,

I too have a GD T70 Spyder mine has the LS2 engine with 5sp G50 box and it is extremely quick as a road car. I have nothing but praise for the way Andy and all the team at GD are there to help with the build. The SVA was painless, all I had to do was deliver the car to Andy and he took it to the station that has done the majority of cars for him. It passed first time. Since then I have enjoyed the car when ever I have the time...
Cheers,

David Whyman.

Hi david! chris here, bought your spare G50 box if you remember, hope you are well?

Hi Chris. Thanks for the kind offer. It is a small world. I am the General Secretary of (basically, I run on a day to day basis) the Royal Air Force Motorsports Association and Barkston Heath is our sprint track. Sadly, I can’t make it on that day, but I hope you have fun. It would be great to catch up another time. Do you have a build log?

Everyone…. I had two very informative visits earlier in the week. Many thanks to Joe for showing me around his RCR. It is a very impressive bit of metal work and looks like it will yield a great project. I’m still not convinced I like the idea of ally wishbones though. The tub is a work of art, however. Joe looks like he’ll have loads of fun building it and I look forward to following progress. I also had a very good visit with Andy at GD. Another top bloke – very helpful. I am very impressed with his product, particularly with regards to chassis dynamics and ease of build/IVA. I also like the fact that I can buy parts in small batches as my build progresses. That would clearly be much trickier with the RCR.

I am still to visit Ultima, on the off chance I like the Can-Am more than I expect although I think the Lola has it, but at this time I am leaning towards the GD. Not to take anything away from the RCR – I just think the GD would suit my circumstances better.

Still more research to do.

Grateful for your thoughts.

I also like the look of this:

LS376/515 :: PartsWorld Performance :: GM Parts World

But do you think it would get through emissions with a carb on?

Cheers.

hi Paul
only just got back from Silverstone classic watching the awesome Lolas on track, fantastic!
i have hundreds of pictures but no actual build log as such, altho i do have a photobucket account with a few choice pics in. i've no probs burning you a disc full at some point if it helps if you go down the GD route. speak to Craig @ GD also as he used to work at Ultima before moving to GD, i know he rates the GD chassis and systems as better in terms of quality etc.

i went for an LS1 originally but span a bearing (was a cheap2nd hand engine tbh) and then went to Weber Race engines for a forged LS6 when the exchange rate made it sense to do so. full forged LS6 cost circa £2100+ shipping so under £3k landed.

mine has a carb conversion as i didnt want efi, and it fuels/drives perfectly. i dont think it would sail thro ESVA unless set up spot on, but mine was built for sprinting and trackdays not road use so i'll probably never want to find out if it passes or not.
the air fuel ratio is very good at idle and on the dyno, just took a bit of jetting and setup. carb/manifold and MSD ignition box came in at under £1k total and i can set up the ignition on the laptop to suit myself.

keep in touch and your more than welcome to have a look at any time to suit.
regards

Hi david! chris here, bought your spare G50 box if you remember, hope you are well?

Good to hear from you, I am very well. I become self employed on 1st of Aug!!!

Hopefully will have more free time to enjoy the car. Would love to do some track days before the winter.

hi dave
i'm off to silverstone with javellin on 5th september if you are interested, plenty of places left on it? £149 for the day
i'm also going to barkston heath for a small fun club sprint day (non msa license) on 2nd August which also has places left at £105 if interested let me know?

i've done one trackday this year at croft with circuit days which was excellent, in may, but not had time to get out since then. still learning the car!
hope to see you and yours soon
chris

Well after lots of deliberation my decision has been made. There are several great projects out there but I have decided on the GD. There are quite a few reasons for this but the principal two are as follows: Firstly, I’m not trying to recreate a T70 in an authentic fashion. I’m trying to build a modern, cutting edge (but simple in concept) sports car with the classic lines that I like (oh, and a hoofing great US V8!). The GD fits that bill perfectly. Secondly, the build sequencing of the GD fits my circumstances well. It is also worth saying that Andy is a top bloke and appears most honest and always happy to help. I’ll be collecting my chassis (with the alternative roll bar to accommodate a taller driver and make it more suitable for racing) and panelling, plus some other items (loom, pedal box, brake lines, coolant pipe work), at the end of Dec or early Jan. That is the soonest I’ll be able to start the work. In the mean time I have a good deal of prep to do and a race season to finish (including any winter work on the race car).

I’m getting all excited now!

Cheers.

Paul

Back