Zippo Vintage US Grand Prix 2009

The 2009 Governor's Cup Race at Watkins Glen. I just had to finish my lunch and as a result was late to the grid. That is the real Mark Donahue Lightweight 1967 Camaro in front of me. A great race with 60 cars entered (the top 12 cars from 5 race groups).

YouTube - 2009 Governors Cup Race

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Simply amazing.... I watched your 962 Video as well... I'm spent...

Thank you for posting!!!!

Ron Earp

Admin
Cool video, very nice, I like it! Questions:

How fast do you get cooking along there? What sort of engine/hp does the Lola have?

With respect to the Group 5 cars, you're in Group 5, correct? And, the "new" Lola T70s from Lola and the SPF GT40 replica, those are in Group 5 as well but they are in a replica subset of Group 5?

I'll have to check your racing event schedule. I'd love to come and have a watch sometime but it always seems that when you guys are racing at track X we're off racing at track Y.

I'm glad you guys enjoyed the video. Ron, Your comments about group 5 are correct. As far as speed goes I believe the Camaros can hit 148 mph prior to the bus stop. My car was geared to do 160 but the tach broke during the National Anthem(the reset key fell on the floor of the car) so I don't know how fast I was going. Perhaps 150 on a good lap. Those Camaros put out a lot of HP and can pull that hill no problemo. My engine is a non-modified 1966 Traco designed iron block Can Am unit putting out 545 hp.
It is dry sumped for most events but is capable of running wet sump for venues that require that configuration. In Can Am Group 7, I can put any amount of horsepower I feel comfortable with but in group 5, I have to run treaded tires and keep the car in 1965-1966 period authenticity. The car originally had about mid 5's in hp. The carbs are 58mm webers.In the attached photo, the heat shield and "air strainer" is removed.

Attachments

• DSCF1912.jpg
    DSCF1912.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 308
Last edited by a moderator:
There are some great old footage of your car on youtube. I just watched one earlier today from the Stardust 1966 Can Am race.
Regards,
evan

There are some great old footage of your car on youtube. I just watched one earlier today from the Stardust 1966 Can Am race.
Regards,
evan

Back