Gardner Douglas GD T70 Number 26 - Paul's Build Log

Well, there's no building yet to log. Nevertheless, here is the start of the thread!

On Saturday, I finally picked up the beginnings of my car from Andy at Gardner Douglas. Hurray!

So far I have:

Powder coated chassis
Aluminium panel set
Wiring loom and ancillaries
Brake and clutch lines
Coolant pipes

The pedal box and a couple of other sundries are to follow as they weren’t ready, along with the front and rear additional sub frames. None of those bits are needed just yet.

There aren’t really any phots to post yet as the chassis is still stood in the back of my box trailer and the rest in the back of my van. Once they are in their build position I’ll put some phots on. That will be a couple of weeks or so as I am still to finish the preseason work on the race car - I await the return of an oil cooler. Once that is done, work on the T70 will commence. However, the rate of work is expected to be no more than a few hours a week, so don’t hold your breath. I am in no hurry and very keen to make sure that it is done right rather than quick.

I am also yet to have a look inside the 930 gearbox I have sat in the workshop. Another job…..

We’re off!!!!!!!!!

:)

More to follow.........

Well, no action to report yet unfortunately. But I am getting closer to starting as the parts I needed for the race car are now with me so I can finish its pre-season prep. Once that is done the chassis can get into position and the build can start. At the moment, the chassis etc is still sat in the back of my trailer just as it left GD. Pic attached.

Attachments

• 14022010163.jpg
    14022010163.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 1,113
Well, things have moved on a very small amount. I now have the chassis inverted and in location for the build to start. The first job is the panelling of the underside, hence the inversion. The first panel should be going on tomorrow, all things being equal. Progress (slight!) at last!

Well the build has now actually started. Hurrah!

On Saturday I began work on the floor pan. The chassis is inverted and the under floor panels and the curved side pod outers are the first bits to go on. The panels are all provided by GD laser cut to size and with all of the rivet/bolt holes also laser cut out. The curved panels are supplied preformed for easy fitment. I have noticed that while the panels are very accurately cut, a couple could do with a tiny adjustment in a couple of areas - just to make some of the rivet holes closer to the centre of the chassis rails rather than near the edge. But that is being very picky! The quality is superb.

The photo shows the inverted chassis with the main floor panel clamped on for a prefitting check. It is now held on with skin pins and will be final fitted tonight - once all of the holes are drilled in the chassis rails.

The only negative I have noticed is a couple of marks in the powder coating on the underside of the chassis. Nothing major but they will need touching in. They will be covered by panels but I’d rather touch them in first. As they will be covered I am planning to just touch them in with a little paint such as Hammerite/Smoothrite or another paint requiring no prep unless you guys have any suggestions as to an alternative??? GD handle the chassis very carefully, as have I. I am a little suspicious that the marks may have been made by the powder coaters as GD spotted a little dent in one of the rails that appeared on the chassis when with them (under the powder coat!). Nothing that won’t be covered by aluminium, though.

So far so good and I’m really enjoying the process already!

Attachments

• 20100227_InvertedChassis.JPG
    20100227_InvertedChassis.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 1,029
A little progress on Monday night. The first major panel is mid-process in getting riveted on. You can see from the pic that about half of the rivet holes are drilled. Blimey, it takes a long time! :)

Would you all recommend trying to get some rust proofing inside the chassis as I go or is it unnecessary?

Cheers.

Attachments

• 20100301_FloorpanHalfFitted.JPG
    20100301_FloorpanHalfFitted.JPG
    20 KB · Views: 757
hi paul
as per my other email its probably a personal thing with rustproofing, but for the sake of 20 quid and a bit more time i thought sod it and did all the rails. you'll find quite a few holes have to be drilled in the chassis anyway as you progress and that gives you opportunity to get an injection lance inside when drilling for rivnuts. the car with it being open topped does get soaked occasionally and i didnt like the thought of water sitting inside the rivets/chassis once its worked its way through or is damp.
personal choice tho, dont think it will be that big a deal either way.

Yep Chris, you're dead on. Just curious to know what product suggestions people may have. The Built-Hamber stuff looks good though.

i'm just contemplating whether to have the headers ceramic coated or not, wish i had done it before. any experience with those type of coatings at all? the lovely stainless finish has now gone discoloured and the rear cans arent shiny any more.

Yeah. The side pipes on my Cobra were ceramic coated (Camcoat) and they were excellent. Very hard wearing and they kept the heat off the GRP etc very well. Well worth it in my opinion. :shy:

might look into that then, cheers Paul.

i found the build got interesting once the wiring/brake lines etc were all in and i could start building up the suspension and hubs into a rolling chassis. think it took me a year (just over) full build but i had 3 solid weeks on it to start with and then 3 or 4 nights a week plus sat /sun afternoons. i also cheated and got GD to de-flash and polish the bodywork after pre-fitting it so all the shut lines and fitments were spot on. was a really enjoyable experience looking back and i hope you enjoy it as well as i did.

Chris,

+1 on the Ceramic coating. I've seen photos of the heater core MELTED in a Viper using non-coated headers. I had C-coated Belanger headers in my track Viper with no issues, cooler rocker panels, etc.

I've managed to get a couple of hours on the car this week.

I’ve now finished drilling the holes for the main floor pan section and I’ve had a quick squirt of aerosol Waxoil (which comes out as a nice mist rather than a stream so it gets around inside the tubes) in every other hole.

On Saturday morning I’ll double check everything, put the sealant on and final fit the panel. I may also start on the removable engine under tray and the rear floor pan ears - far fewer holes required!

Cheers…..

:thumbsup:

Ok, some good progress over the weekend.

The main floor panel is now final fitted and sealed. You can see from the photos below that the air-riveter had a good run out and very good it was too. There is also a photo of the final product. The air-riveter is a great bit of kit. Not only is it very quick and effortless, it produces clean, accurate results every time. I would commend one to any one who does any riveting at all!

I’ve also fitted the riv-nuts for the under engine cover. Clearly it needs to be removable, so M6 riv-nuts are fitted in the chassis and I’ll be using stainless Allen-cap-headed bolts with stainless washers and spring washers.

It’s all good so far!

Attachments

• floorpanrivited.JPG
    floorpanrivited.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 778
  • floorpanfinalfitted.JPG
    floorpanfinalfitted.JPG
    15 KB · Views: 710
  • underenginecoverprefit.JPG
    underenginecoverprefit.JPG
    20.3 KB · Views: 775
  • underenginecoverrivnuts.JPG
    underenginecoverrivnuts.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 843
A little more progress has been made this week.

The rear outer parts of the floor pan are now final fitted as can be seen from the photo.

Next week I hope to get the rolled outer sill panels fitted and that will be the last job before it is time to turn the chassis back over.

Chipping away…….

:thumbsup:

Attachments

• RearEarsFitted.jpg
    RearEarsFitted.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 578
Paul, you will find that every small task that is completed well, adds to the achievement! Treasure every moment, even if it appears neverending! It is the journey most enjoyable.

definitely treasure it, even when it seems hard or even "boring" jobs prior to getting onto the big stuff install work, when you look back its a real sense of achievement . the rolling chassis stage is a major boost i found!

good going paul,

you're further along the build then me it seems!

question, I have gotten 3 boxes of rivets from andy, 2 x 500 short ones and a box of longer ones, do you know which go where?

also the rinuts in the chassis for the engine compartment where allready fitted in my chassis when I collected it at GD's.....

Nice to see an actual build!

regards Thomas

A little more progress.

The rolled panels are now final fitted to the outside of the right hand side side-pod. Fitting the panels over a curved surface was a little more challenging than when fitting flat ones, as you would imagine, but went ok.

I have also collected the remainder of the bits that I ordered from GD, principally the front and rear sub frames along with the pedal box. They won’t be needed for a while yet, however!

Attachments

• New Image.jpg
    New Image.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 729
Back