RCR T70 Out and About

Ron Earp

Admin
First "long" non-track trip for the Lola, drove it into work this morning. Did fine, worked as it should, just had to watch out being run over by rubberneckers!

My wife thinks I drive the car out because I'm lacking for attention at home. Hello? If that is what you think then do something about it! :)

Attachments

• lolaatbmg.jpg
    lolaatbmg.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 4,788

Ron Earp

Admin
Man, driving that thing on the road is over the top!

It is pretty cool! I don't know of any other cars on the street that have SCCA and NASA logbooks that are 100% street legal. Isn't bad on the road either. Have to watch for big bumps, but I do that anyway.

R

Nice one Ron! - must be an absolute blast on the roads...:thumbsup:

and I suspect you'll be getting plenty of attention in that. Got any 'hot' cops over there....?:laugh:

I've been using my bike a lot recently as I have not had to carry too much in the way of tools and that has made a nice change. Not quite in the same league as that though - have fun!

Ron Earp

Admin
Ron,

What's your ride height?

John

Pretty high, around 4.5". While it'd be cool to slam the car down on the wheels and look like the racing Lolas of old it a) is a great track car as is and b) would be unusable on the roads that a low height.

Naturally we've got more track work to get it completely developed. We'll be doing the 2010 GRM Ultimate Track Car Challenge with it in July and a test day in June. Hopefully it'll make the VIR 13 hour this year.

Nice! You don't see a T70 spyder going down the road every day. Get ready for the rice rocket racers.

My wife says the same thing (jokingly). It's partially true, with four kids, there's not a lot of "attention" (translation: bedroom time) going on. A guy's got to do something to compensate!

I've also been pulled over a couple of times in the GT40 by the local police - the last one said "that the coolest f%^$ing car I've ever seen!" He just wanted to chat, and that's just fine.

Plan on a good fifteen minutes to gas up as the gas station car show drill takes some time too. Enjoy!

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:That has got to be so cool... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I've known a lot of people that take a street car and turn it into a race car and some that have turned a racecar into a street car, but a grand total of TWO people that have a truly dual-purpose car that's actually a competitive racecar and a docile street machine...

Ron and Cliff,
You guys gotta remember that as you get older(like me), you A) go into your second childhood, which craves for attention, and B) as you get even older, you slip from daily to weekly to monthly, and finally to "seasonally". Just can't remember which season was last.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Bill

Good work Ron..must be buzz driving on the road. I don't think we could register a T70 for road use over in Oz. I am seriously thinking of trading my daily for something like a Cobra with a hard top.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Nice one Ron, the only problem is you parked it next to a PPPP car. Makes the Porche look like a truck. It must be a buzz driving it on the road
a real "chick magnet".

Ron Earp

Admin
Good work Ron..must be buzz driving on the road. I don't think we could register a T70 for road use over in Oz. I am seriously thinking of trading my daily for something like a Cobra with a hard top.

You can't drive a Cobra roadster on the road unless it has a top??? :huh:

A chick magnet this thing ain't. Definitely cool, but dudes are far more interested in it than chicks.

The P car is my buddy Ed's 70 911S. Cool car in the middle of a restoration and with the new motor runs strong.

Daily driver means rain and cold, although I'm keen I'm not happy to sit soaked.
So a hard top for winter and topless for the summer. Maybe I need to harden up....

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
Damn--Ron, you're makin' it hard for me :stunned: -- I mean , to get a car like that road registered here (in Aus) is a privilege not a rite
It must be a blast to drive :thumbsup: tell us more---

Ron Earp

Admin
Damn--Ron, you're makin' it hard for me :stunned: -- I mean , to get a car like that road registered here (in Aus) is a privilege not a rite
It must be a blast to drive :thumbsup: tell us more---

Well, there isn't a lot to tell and that is a good thing!

It rolls on Hoosier R6s, the same tires we race with, and at my conservative speeds that is perfectly fine. Plenty of brake available, more than plenty of go available even with a motor that we suspect is somewhere around 230-300hp (I know, big range, but hard to figure until we get it on a dyno).

I have a bit of tuning to do on the carb and I suspect I need to adjust the accelerator pump. Coughs a bit when whacked, but only at low RPM. It isn't a bog though, and I'm pretty sure it is a lean condition which leads me to suspect accel pump adjustment.

Steering is quite direct, just like on the track, and the suspension is fine for the roads in NC. The roads up north and in the midwest are far worse and there you might have an issue. Just avoid big bumps and it seems ok. The cow catcher spoiler doesn't catch anything which is also a good thing.

I need to fab a new wind screen - either taller or shorter. This one is right in your line of sight and is bothersome. However, it was designed with the seat at a lower position as it was setup at RCR. We moved the seat considerably and thus put the driver at a higher position and we have not adjusted the windscreen.

The cooling system works fine in traffic and stopped. It was 89F yesterday and the temp gauges, front and rear, were on 195F solid with the fans running. As a driver you will get a bit toasty while not moving, but when moving it is comfortable and you don't get hot.

I've had a couple of emails about having a T70 over a GT40. Both are great cars and this isn't a GT40, what I originally wanted years ago, but not being a GT40 has advantages given how my wants have changed over the years. I'm not sure it'd be possible to have this much of a dual purpose car, wheel to wheel race and street use, in a GT40 due to cage design rules. The SCCA/NASA requirements are stringent and putting a modern legal cage in a GT40 would make it nearly impossible to get in and out of with the doors. So, in the end this car probably fits me and my intended uses better than a GT40 would, although I sure would like to have one of those too!

Nobody has asked me about the real/replica thing although I've been in a few conversations about the car already. I have been asked "Is that I race car?", to which I can reply 100% truthfully "Yes." And that is pretty cool.

Back