Gd t70 #007

Guys,

I've been beavering away on this for quite some time, and it's finally looking like a car. Dyno tuning is finished, car is mechanically almost done (aside from alignment etc). Now just doing body done, will be keeping the car in gelcoat. Anyway, a few photos -

Attachments

• IMGP0921.jpg
    IMGP0921.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 522
  • IMGP0939.jpg
    IMGP0939.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 521
  • IMGP0926.jpg
    IMGP0926.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 498
  • IMGP0942.jpg
    IMGP0942.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 500
Thanks guys. I'm most proud of some of the cockpit elements, since that's one of places you can get creative, but didn't take any pics since it looks like a toilet at the moment. When I get the junk out of it, I can take some detail photos.

well done Tom, always good to see another GD come out to play. post up some more pics as you can please! have you decided on what if any additional stripes/stickers etc will be applied or are you leaving it clean?
one tip i will say is spend some time on the headlights and covers, i searched for ages to get a decent dark grey edging tape to run around the perspex covers which looks very professional if i say so myself. i also spray painted the inners of the headlight area with a semi matt black paint to hide any minor blemishes in the glassfibre within the recess. looking good so far tom!

Hi Chris,

I actually scratched my head for quite a while figuring out what to do with the headlight covers. I ended up masking the entire cover, then spray painting the underside rim to hide the interface with the body. Also located some 4 mm ultra low head bolts with black oxide finish. Haven't mounted them yet, but I think it will look right!

Haven't touched the light buckets yet, but a little attention may be due there...

Both!

I figure there's no way to really drive this car hard on the street, so I've built it with oil coolers, R compound tires etc. We'll see if I can live with the tires on the road or not.

Both!

I figure there's no way to really drive this car hard on the street, so I've built it with oil coolers, R compound tires etc. We'll see if I can live with the tires on the road or not.

have you fitted twin oil coolers or just one cooler? mine has 2 and i find the oil temperature here in the uk doesnt get too high, only 80-90c on track, never seen it above 100c yet. might also be due to running in type oil tho which is 15-50w !

Ron Earp

Admin
Both!

I think you'll find the tires great for dry road work. I've got Hoosier road race tires on my T70 and they work great. I don't want to be caught out in the wet with them, but this isn't the sort of car you hop in when the sky looks threatening.

I've got an engine oil cooler mounted on the right side, and a transaxle oil cooler mounted on the left side. Obviously not necessary for road, but maybe for track. I gather that running a gearbox at elevated temps for a long period is asking for trouble.

Attachments

• IMGP0827.jpg
    IMGP0827.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 374
  • IMGP0828.jpg
    IMGP0828.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 375
Ah nice to see another one! seems like the GD's are all surfacing all of a sudden..... wonder why.

I like the wheels and the colour, what are those "image" also perhaps?

I could only whish I was that far along in my build.

very curious about what you did to the dash.

grtz Thomas

I've got an engine oil cooler mounted on the right side, and a transaxle oil cooler mounted on the left side. Obviously not necessary for road, but maybe for track. I gather that running a gearbox at elevated temps for a long period is asking for trouble.

ah ok, i have twin coolers for the engine oil with mine being a track only car, but i have the early G50 box with no external oil cooling added.

Ron Earp

Admin
ah ok, i have twin coolers for the engine oil with mine being a track only car, but i have the early G50 box with no external oil cooling added.

You might want to think about some gearbox oil cooling. Gear box temps on our T70 with the 930 box were pretty high, and that was with a cooler and pump, although the cooler is poorly located. Still, even being exposed to some air it is better than none at all. I can't remember the exact temp, around 240F or so, but I posted details on a thread dealing with transaxle temps in the Transaxle Tech section. I's suspect yours is even higher since there is no cooler at all.

Maybe 240F isn't so high but I'm not sure. It is difficult to get solid answers on some of these parameters. I'd like it to be in the 200-210F range.

You might want to think about some gearbox oil cooling. Gear box temps on our T70 with the 930 box were pretty high, and that was with a cooler and pump, although the cooler is poorly located. Still, even being exposed to some air it is better than none at all. I can't remember the exact temp, around 240F or so, but I posted details on a thread dealing with transaxle temps in the Transaxle Tech section. I's suspect yours is even higher since there is no cooler at all.

Maybe 240F isn't so high but I'm not sure. It is difficult to get solid answers on some of these parameters. I'd like it to be in the 200-210F range.

cheers Ron. i will check this out, i have some stick on temperature pads i can use on the housing to see what that reaches as a very rough guide. the box i have hasnt got any take offs for oil coolers from what i remember. i am running a very high quality gear oil and will probably change it more regularly , as the car only does about 600 miles a year all on track being thrashed.

for gearbox oils i'm not sure what the temperature range is. i'm using redline synthetic shockproof which isnt cheap!
engine oils i've always understood that 120c is the maximum constant running temp you should let it get to, and ideally it should be 90-100c?

There are some who don't believe in Redline shockproof, saying it was designed for offroad racing final drives, and that the "shockproof" comes at the expense of lubrication.

Of course, I have no actual experience with this, and am passing along what may be misinformation. Nevertheless, it's probably better to be aware that there may be an issue, versus ignoring something that is hard to monitor.

One Porsche race trans builder of some reputation recommends Mobil synthetic gear lube. I happen to be running Swepco. I'll share anything I learn once I run the thing!

Ron Earp

Admin
c the box i have hasnt got any take offs for oil coolers from what i remember.

Neither did mine. But a drill and tap will fix that in short order. There are plenty of threads on the forum regarding G50 / 930 lubrication and how to set that up. Relatively inexpensive to do and I think if the cooler is located in the right place (mine isn't) then it'll cool well and take care of business. I too run good oil in the box but I don't think it'll survive 13 hour duty without cooling, at least not from the temps we've witnessed. The Porsche racers I've spoken to that race the 930 and G50 boxes indicate that cooling is critical to getting a decent service life from them.

Back