Brown pancake in the T70

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Re: Code Brown in the T70

Great video Ron !
He was right back at it in a matter of seconds. Great job !!!!

Ron Earp

Admin
That particular incident was driver induced. We had just finished a karting session literally a couple of minutes before Ron got into the car for the last driving session of the day. According to him he was still in "kart mode" and gave it too much steering input too quickly and was on the brakes too hard with cold tires (two year old tires I might add, 4/09 production, and with many, many heat cycles). Fortunately no issues.

The car worked well for the test day. CMP is extremely hard on brakes and they held up well with the changes that were put in place from the VIR testing. The chassis isn't particularly tuned for CMP as we think the springs are too stiff given all the turning CMP has in comparison to VIR. At VIR is is very pleasurable to drive.

We were able to drive the car at CMP for slightly two hours and still not run the car out of gas. Therefore, we're met our target of a possible two hour stint for the driver, in fact we might have exceeded it as I'm still not sure how much longer it'll actually run.

Malcolm

Supporter
So smother driver input needed then! :) I would budget on an extra 10% or more fuel getting used in race conditions over testing as race time is 100% on it time whereas in testing you are rarely 100% on it all the time. But sounds like you will get it to run the 2 hour target which is good. Hope you boys are fit!

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
Actually, Ron (M) hit the brake and gas at the same time which caused that. Pedal box needs a bit of work, but it is very fixable.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but your video as positioned could be improved upon easily.
It might prove helpful in the future to be able to see the gauges, steering wheel etc.
If that is a go pro there are settings for a more panoramic view. If not a go pro, just tilting it down a bit and moving it to the right with it pointing more to the left would do the trick. It would help to figure out if for instance fuel pressure drop caused an engine stumble. Just making a random critical remark !

Ron Earp

Admin
Oh, it could be greatly improved upon, no doubt. We didn't set the car up for video though and the process of even getting video at all was a last minute affair - oh!, we've got a point and shoot camera with video, somebody put it and the mount in before the next session.

The Z had a dedicated system and the new one I'm putting together will have front and rear cameras feeding into the data system. That way the end result will be two views plus data including RPM, TPS position, brake on/off, oil press, water temp, and wide band.

Back