Worhol Lola

Funny what comes out of the blue...

Dear Mr. Glickenhaus,

By pure happenstance I learned that you bought your T70 from Philip Van Scoy Smith, who was a fraternity brother of my husband's at the University of Pennsylvania where we all went to college. After college Fu visited us frequently in the islands and we would see him often when we went to NYC.

I do not know if FuFu (for that was his nickname) ever told you how he bought the car or why.

In the mid-sixties - I cannot remember exactly when - Fu told us that he was Andy Warhol's business manager and that he had bought the Lola as Andy Warhol's official company car. We knew that Fu did hang out at the Factory but were a little skeptical that he was actually his business manager. He did help Warhol produce one or two films and wanted us to invest (we did not). He eventually got in a row with Warhol about the rights to a film.

Fu owned some spectacular cars, including a 1935 (or thereabouts) Mercedes 770 that had small gold plated mushrooms, like a family crest, on the front doors and had supposedly been owned by Goering. He also had one of the first Porsche sport cars - a 1952 or 3.

The last I ever heard from Fu was a phone call around the mid-seventies when he said he was going to England to make films. The rest is silence....

In any event, I thought you might enjoy the story. I am delighted that the car lives on. It is a thing of beauty. We all loved beautiful cars.

With best regards,

Sheila M. Ross

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Jim,

What an interesting story.

I'm not positive, but I seem to remember reading somthing recently about you, your car collection and your art collection, including some Warhol paintings.

Small world..............

Jim, can you give us some of the history of this T70, most of these old cars have intersting stories.

Cheers, Jim Craik

Jim,

What an interesting story.

I'm not positive, but I seem to remember reading somthing recently about you, your car collection and your art collection, including some Warhol paintings.

Small world..............

Jim, can you give us some of the history of this T70, most of these old cars have intersting stories.

Cheers, Jim Craik

Mine is SL 71-32 and was initially raced by Pensky/Donohue. It won 7 races and then was SCCA champion for years and the Mt Equinox all time record holder. I bought it in 72 drove it for many years as a open Can Am car and then converted it to a coupe for the road sort of a prototype for what I later did with Ferrari P 4/5 by Pininfarina. I've put over 60K road miles on her.

Great car.

Attachments

• 001xx.jpg
    001xx.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 754
Back