New Carbs for the Lola

Just replaced my old four barrel set up with a set of Webbers.

Here's a picture of the upgrade.

Attachments

• IMG_2202.jpg
    IMG_2202.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 541
The car now runs better than it did with the four barrel set up.
Better at idle and throttle response through the entire range has improved.
Also started really easy which surprised me somewhat after setting the timing at 36 degrees BTDC.
The view from the back with the lid down is awesome.

Attachments

• IMG_2207.jpg
    IMG_2207.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 445

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Positive experience all around then!! :thumbsup:

Can't beat the look of those stacks!!! :D

Very nice, John. I had read somewhere that you were considering fuel injection and wondered what you would end up with.

I believe you drive your RCR Lola on the street (at least to shows) and I assume you have dual fuel tanks/cells in the frame's box sections. For the concern about safety (and the number of idiot drivers on the roads), does the location of the tanks concern you? The Gardner Douglas version of the Lola T70 has one tank located between the engine and the bulkhead. Was this an option from RCR? (TIA)

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Original Lolas run fuel tanks in the sponsons of the chassis ...same as a GT40 and many 60's period race cars.....

We have had more than one customer crash their monocoque RCR chassis with no fuel tank issues...and some pretty darn hard....including rolling and also Armco interference...

We have fuel bladders available for all of our cars...the SL-C fuel tanks location is the same an most LMP, Indy, Champ and Daytona prototype cars between the engine and the firewall...our 917 is in a similar location..again bladders are available.

JohnB
I had and still have no concerns about the fuel tanks on my RCR Lola.
Fran makes an excellent car and I looked at most cars on the market before making my choice.
Safety and build quality played a major part in my decision making process and this was key in making the RCR number one choice.
I suggest that you take a good look at any RCR product if you get the chance, you will be blown away by the build quality
I have owned my car for a number of years now and would and do recommend RCR to anyone thinking about building or purchasing a special constructor vehicle.
Thanks again Fran for all the help you have given me since I got my car.

Thanks, John, for your response. This item was a consideration in my decisions between an RCR-70 and an SL-C, and I wanted to get the viewpoint from an owner of a non-track vehicle (i.e. someone who did not wear flame retardant coveralls during a cruise of the countryside).

I agree with you about RCR-Superlite quality-- their products have impressed me since 2008 when I checked them out at Carlisle. Although I live only 20 miles from Fran's shop, a visit will not be likely until finances will allow me to be serious about ordering one. (I am not one to waste another's time under false pretenses).

The only other vehicle that was under consideration was the Daytona Coupe from Superformance, but that is no longer of interest to me.

A mid-engine SL-C or RCR-70 (Lola T70 Mark IIIb style) makes the most sense for my location.

--JB

I was given a short video of the car with the new carbs while at lunch today so here is a link to it. Enjoy.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xedoJpctgs]New Webers for Lola - YouTube[/ame]

Hi John, the carbs look great! I've seen your car around on websites before and wanted to tell you that's a beautiful car you have there! Great job on the build!

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Great video John... The car is absolutely stunning! My heart skipped a beat when one of the trailer ramps "clanked" as you drove it up!

Thanks for the comments on my car, guys. I have owned a number of collector cars but this one is the best, thanks to Fran and RCR. Just as a side issue Jim who helped with the set up of the carbs used to work for Carroll Shelby at one time running the engine shop. He was there when they prepped the engines for the winning GT 40's later moving on to work with the Garner Lola team for a short while. When I moved to Oakhurst, a small town in California I never expected to find so many car guys living here. It seems that most of us moved here to escape the madness down in the L.A. area. Jim has become a very close friend and accompanies me to most of the car shows I go to. By the way we will be at the N.C.K.C.C. car show in Concord CA. this weekend (Sunday, Sept 9th only) so if your in the area we would love to see you.

Back