Lola T70 replica in France

Hi everybody,

my name is Alexandre, I live in France, I'm 39 and fond of cars for a very long time, actually I have 6 cars at home :laugh: The most special one is a Super Seven replica, built from A to Z between 1993 and 2007:

This car is a replica of models Donkervoort, a car manufacturer from Netherlands, when I was 17 I hadn't got money to buy a real one, this is the reason why I decided to build my "own" Donkervoort ! And as you can see, the result is very closed to the model :rolleyes:

I have another dream, since I'm 10 I love a car... this one :

As I told you above, when I was 17... no money for the Donkervoort... Actually, 22 years later I still haven't got 40000 Euros or more to invest in such a car :sad: :sad: This is the reason why I'm going to build "my" Lola T70 ! I will take the time that will be necessary but I will have this dream car...

But if the building of a Seven is "simple", a Lola seems to me much more difficult, the body in particular :stunned: :stunned: I have thousands of questions about this car, and I'm not sure to find all the answers on the web, so I hope you will be able to help me in my project...

Hi Dave,

I did saw this thread (I started to see all the threads here but it's very long...) the chassis seems to be surprisingly simple with relatively few tubes comparated to a Seven chassis; but the main problem for me is the body, its exact dimensions and different shapes. At the moment the only thing I think I'm going to do is to buy a 1/12 tamiya model and to try to do the same as Fred W B:
http://www.gt40s.com/forum/lola-t70-lounge/19604-canamsa-sa-stratch-build.html

Hello
buying an 1/12 kit is interesting because you will have a good "souvenir" for your desk but if you intend to built an entire master and mold it's a very very long and tuff process !! Specially if it's your first !!
It will be advisable for you to check in Uk some suppliers having the T70 molds
and able to supply one complete body for a reasonable price
Sbarro in Switzerland own a mold too and is able to supply replica of aluminium tub
Good luck with your project

Hi Alex

Firstly Welcome here.

As for building yourself a body I can tell you that to date I have spent more on materials than I see T70 panel sets offered for and that's not to mention the thousands of manhours consumed so far. I would agree with Michel and also recommend you start researcing the prices of panel sets. To buy a complete set would give you a flying start to the project and would be cheaper than making a pattern and set of moulds.

With regard to the Maurauder, be aware the chassis is nothing like the original T70"s.

Cheers

Fred W B

I was going to build a Locost 7 and had actually cut most of the tubing for it. Compared to the gt40 for example they are very inexpensive to build. I figured that the Locost budget was about 4000.00 dollars. I am over triple that now.Cost of the body alone was way more than the budget of Locost.

Fred has done an awesome job of getting his project to the point of making the body. Just shy of 6 years. I admire his abilities and how he has pressed on with his project.

Alexander take a look at Gardner Douglas' they're close enough to France to pay a visit.

They have the best spaceframe chassis know to man. if you know you're Sevens you'll be very impressed with what Andy and his crew are building at GD.

If you're close to Paris I Can pay you a visit in my T70 once ti's registered. My sister lives in Meulan! I plan to show it to my brother in law aswell.

If you're ever in Pays Bas you're most welcome to have a look.

Grtz thomas

Hi all, and thanks you for the answers :thumbsup:

Contrary to my Seven for which I drawn and built all the chassis, before made all the masters, moulds and body parts, for this new project, I would prefer slowly getting parts at different suppliers and "simply" assembling them; except the chassis which I'd like to build by myself, even if I use existing plans (I'm actually in contact with a person who could help me on this point in particular). I noticed at reading all the threads that Marauder style chassis is apparently not the best one...

The main part to be found is the body, but as Michel said, it seems to have many Lola parts supplier... the only problem is I don't know them, if you could give me website or informations, it would be great...

Before annoying you with all the mechanical questions I have, I try to know where I go and if it's possible to achieve this dream. I suspect that budget of such a car is terribly higher than those I had for my Seven, but considering that it will be a (very) long adventure, it will be (maybe) more easy...

You noticed I didn't tell you about the biggest problem I have in France; I want a car to drive it on open roads, but it's absolutly impossible to drive such a car on the road and make it street legal, another "little" problem !...

Thanks you for reading me ;)

Alexander take a look at Gardner Douglas' they're close enough to France to pay a visit.

They have the best spaceframe chassis know to man. if you know you're Sevens you'll be very impressed with what Andy and his crew are building at GD.

If you're close to Paris I Can pay you a visit in my T70 once ti's registered. My sister lives in Meulan! I plan to show it to my brother in law aswell.

If you're ever in Pays Bas you're most welcome to have a look.

Grtz thomas

slightly off topic but just noticed your signature thomas, you have finished your GD build then?
any picture threads of it?
chris

slightly off topic but just noticed your signature thomas, you have finished your GD build then?
any picture threads of it?
chris

Yes Chris in fact I did, I'm in the process of registering the Gardner Douglas at the moment, when it's insured as a car I'll show it to the world. give or take a few weeks and it should be done. I will lauch a website on the 2600hour build also!

back to topic: Alexander the closest provider of bodyparts are GD really, maybe Andy will do you a body only, but thats a spider.
As Flatchat Chris pionted out TW mouldings have the original moulds. maybe Johan has acces to body parts also. he'll probably chime in here aswell, Johan?

Grtz Thomas

Hi everybody,

a friend of mine told me a complete body from TW Mouldings would cost approximatively 15-17000 € !!!! It's just impossible for me to invest such a sum in the first part of my project :stunned: :stunned: Another guy on a french forum gave me a very interesting link:
Coque Lola T70 MK3B | 0one

I called the seller yesterday... the price is 10000 €, still too expensive for my (little) budget actually.

I start to wonder if it's possible to find a body at reasonable price, or (maybe) to find a second-hand, or damaged body...

Hi everybody,

.. the price is 10000 €, still too expensive for my (little) budget actually.

I start to wonder if it's possible to find a body at reasonable price, or (maybe) to find a second-hand, or damaged body...

This price is more than reasonable and you have the opportunity that it's afrench supplier so travel cost for picking up will be very small comparativly to any other european supplier specially in UK where you will have to pay ferry or tunnel ticket plus long trip fuel expenses ??????
Don't know if you are aware about material prices but try to do a very quick total of GRP expenses and you will understand that this offer is probably not so bad !!!

Doing such a big Bodywork can be

Resin ( polyester and not epoxy ) ; 60 to 70 kg at 6 euros = 420 euros
Catalyser ; 2x 1l = 50 euros
strand matt ; 20 square meters at 10 euros =200 euros
roving for rinforce ; 20 square meters at 15 euros =300 euros
Peel ply ;20 meters at 6 euros =120 euros
Wax ; 2x 100 gr = 60 euros
Gelcoat ; 10 kg at 10 euros = 100 euros
Acetone for cleaning ; 20 litres at 6 euros = 120 euros
Brusches ; 40 euros
Cutters ; 30 euros
rollers for taking off air bubbles ; 60 euros

Total ; 1500 euros plus VAT = 1800 euros

Work to mold such a bodywork with so many components is more and less 2 weeks in 2 people ( to achieve a clean work ) this mean 160 hours labor at an average charge of 40 euros = 6440 euros

To produce such a bodywork a mold have been produced and usually such a mold cost from 20000 to 25000 euros and calculation is always done in thinking to split this cost in 10 sets so cost mold on each can be 2500 euros( anyway is less than any master and mold cost, you will spend if doing yours !!!!)

Final total = 1800+6440+2500 = 10740 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finding second hand or damaged parts will be close to impossible due to the fact owners of such cars know perfectly these costs and will not sell parts for "nothing" and will prefer to repare damaged items

I can tell you that if I was not actually involved totally in my 908 project I will hurry and carry back immediatly this good bargain . ( seems from pics it's a rather good GRP quailty and on top of this one first coat of primer is done so you are quite sure that all imperfection and any gelcoat bubbles have been taken off)

If you cannot afford such amount what will be your reaction when trying to source the windscreen ??? an average for such a rare part can be from 900 euro to 1800 euros specially if you want an E marked !
Just my 2 cents ....

Good luck on your project

Back