103 Daytona winner sells

I just got my copy of Vintage Racecar which says that the 1964 Ford GT40 Daytona (chassis 103) winner sold for $2,502.500 (RM Auctions). And the mid 1980 creation 427 Cobra Daytona Super Coupe went for $1,457,500 (Russo & Steele)
Regards Allan

I was lucky enough to get a close half-hour inspection of car 103 the day before it went on the block. My impression, after also looking a many of the cars at Laguna Seca that same day, was that even original cars are very different from each other, especially those that have a long race history. This photo was taken just before the hammer fell for the last time.

Last edited:

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Bob,
Any chance that during your review of 103 you took a boat load of pictures?
If so, care to share any of em with your online buddies? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks,

Hi Rob,

Unfortunately I did not have my camera the morning I was shown GT40-103. I just happend to be in the hotel lobby on my way to breakfast and bumped into the right guy at the right time. That's why I said getting to see the car was just a stoke of luck.

Maybe someone else was at Monterey and can voluntary some additional pictures. I think detail pictures of the engine compartment and interior were also briefly posted on a website (?) a few weeks before the auction.

Here are the only other pictures I have just before the car was rolled indoors and sold. Not my best pictures but you may note that the rear lights look a bit like a MK II, there is an Indy engine under the glass, and the nose has a single nostril.

Last edited:
Thanks for the pictures Bob. The tail light are right the rear decks the 1964/1965 version. I was wondering if the car was modified with the definative nose? or did the buyer get the original front and rear decks? i.e. 1964 Daytona???
Regards Allan

Back