wheel from a famous GT40

Hi I am brand new to this and these cars look awsome!I have acquired a wheel thru a cash and trade situation and I believe what I have might be worth quite a bit of money to someone out there. Maybe one of you experts could give me a little guidance.

What it is: it is a wheel off of GT40 P/1012
Dan Gernies in the 60's (gathering dust and tarnish in an attic)
Don Davis bought it
someone on the team wrote 9 1/2 40 in yellow calk on the inside of it.
I also have a book by Ronnie Spain " GT40 an individual history and race record" and on page 211 it shows a picture of the car.
there is a serial # forged not stamped on the inside of the rim (very tiny).
I have photos and if any of you really want a close look I am in Tehachapi California or you can call me at 661-823-1337
so there it is guys, I am all ears.

thanks Steve

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Probably a hallibrand type Steve. If anyone has its mates or similar , and they are not too corroded you may get someone to take a punt. Failing which try it on EBAY. Thereafter, if you still have it , it could be a coffee table or a good paperweight.

Steve,

GT40 P/1012 is alive and well and its European owner is very enthusiastic about his car. Perhaps if you contact him, he may be interested in taking this wheel off your hands? Here is his website (in both English and French).

http://www.gt40-1012.com

It should be a Halibrand since P1012 was a spare MKII at the 1966 Le Mans under the Alan Mann team. It was not used. Its funny because an original Alan Mann built XGT-3 is up for sale in New York at the present time. This car was also used as a spare that did not race at the 1966 Le Mans. Were there anymore MKII spares?
Its main claim in its racing history was 2nd Spa 1966 and 7th Daytona 1967. However, I do not know that Halibrands are that rare. And since the car crashed and was destroyed and two P1012 evolved from it. Its anybodies guest at what one of its wheels is worth?
Good luck on your find.
Regards Allan

Allan,

Do I understand you to say that their is now 3 P1012 cars? And, is the XGT-3 in New York the original or one of the other evolved cars????

I think I have seen the XGT-3 advertised, and it never has listed a price, so it is likely the original, yes/no?

Thanks for all of your informative information, as always.

Cheers,

Hi Gary
There are only two P1012 one that the original owner had a replacement chassis for when the car crashed. And one built up on the original damaged chassis?
The original P1012 prior to the crash was used as a spare car at the 1966 Le Mans under the control of Alan Mann. XGT-3 was also used as a spare car by Alan Mann but not raced at the 1966 Le Mans.
The car in New York they say was a spare car but not used at the 1966 Le Mans was XGT-3 Alan Mann. If it is the original (I think it is) I suppose a figure of $300000 (I think I heard this sum somewhere) would be in order.
Regards Allan

Last edited:
Johan Which wheel or car? The car.
Although I have heard of a dumper truck whose tyres went up from $25000 each to $50000 when they were in short supply. It was transporting the right Limestone rock for the Dubi World Islands project.
Regards Allan

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Josvdp,
Nah. It would need a windscreen washer nozzle as well as the wheel.

I have heard that the SVA would accept it if it had a scrap of taillight lens in lieu of said washer nozzle. The same rule applies towards a single wheel and the substitution of two (2) authentic knock-off spinners..

Back