P1001

Just doing some research and wondering whether the historians can give me info on P1001? I know it was originally a Shelby blue/white car, got a DNF at the 66 Le Mans (car 60) driven by Jackie Iycx, then yellow at the 68 Spa driven by Andrew Cox, but can you help with more detail and photos, photos, photos please? Thank you.. Andrew

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Will the REAL 1001 please step forward!
---------------
Jay Leno?

1966_ford_gt40.jpg

Jay Leno's Collection | Classic Car Collectors and their Cars | Matt Cardy Classic Cars

---------------

MkI

1001Colour.JPG

GT40P/1001 seen outside Ford Advanced Vehicles on 30th March 1965. Although it never raced for the team, the car is seen in Shelby American colours as it was to be displayed at the 1965 New York Show.

---------------

Is Google really your friend? Don't know....

Thanks... I've found out a bit more about 1001, as it returned from NY in 1966, where FAV rebuilt it for Essex Wire, the car suffering a DNF at the 1966 Le Mans with Ickx. In the later 60's it was raced by Hulme of NZ in the Springbox series for Sid Taylor and it became a road car in 1970. However, I'm still looking for more details and photographs please. Perhaps someone could point out a photo in a book etc?

Cheers.. Andrew

Darren Manning drove it at Goodwood Revival 2003 - car no 14

1991 Silverstone car no 60 - photos in both John S Allen GT40 & The Ford that Beat Ferrari

I am in the fortunate position of actually having had this car in the family. My father owned Malaya Garage in the 60s and early 70s and raced this car with his team. He has scrap books and photos at home and I have suggested that we get some time to digitise all of this.

Welcome : a few teasers of this car would be fantastic

Coincidentally just seen this on the Autosport forum from Oulton 1969

Attachments

• macdaghorn.jpg
    macdaghorn.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 1,812
Last edited:
Hi Bridgland... I own the original bodywork off P/1001 and and have had it restored, before using it on my original tub. The car is hoped to debut at the Le Mans Classic 2012. I live in Surrey, not 20 miles from Billingshurst where your father's garage used to be situated. I tried to contact Malaya garage some months ago, only to find it's now a Merc dealership in Crawley. They couldn't help me with my enquiries. I have a number of race photos and other's taken after it was sold to Terry Smith in 1970, which I don't think you'll have seen before. I'd love to show you these images and perhaps share if you'd be kind enough to oblige me? I'm building up a complete history of 1001 , and any information is always gratefully received.. and shared. I'll send you a PM with my contact details. Thanks also to forum members & beyond, for helping me tracing its history... Andrew

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Andrew,

Welcome, it sounds like you have a great project there! Please tell us more about your car. Additionally, I would love to hear the story behind your tub, thanks.

Hi Jim, thanks for expressing interest in my GT40 and to all the other's who have contributed to locating the history behind the car. Basically, my car is a mongrel of original GT40 parts. Nothing has been skimped on e.g. I managed to locate a perfectly good 1965 hipo Mustang 289ci, but then located C6FE cylinder heads from 1079 which I aimed to put on my motor. Then I located an engine builder, who used to race prepare motors for the factory teams in the 1960s. He's found an original 1965 GT40 289ci lurking in his workshop. This engine came with correct paperwork detailing which car it came from, and will fit my new (old) heads perfectly. This is just one small part of the puzzle. Almost every part is from a GT40. Those which are not, are in the minority and have been reproduced to original specs. Hence my car is an original broomstick, but reconstructed using an old head and old handle. The tub is being reconstructed and is based on the remains of a tub which came off a concours restoration some years ago. I can't reveal it's identity because I need to get all the facts in place first and a motoring journal is to run a feature on the car next year. This GT40 won't be a beautiful concours recreation, but a "mongrel" made up of many used, but servicable parts. As a taster, please find attached some photos showing the restoration of the bodywork which came off P/1001. Note the arcaelogy of colourschemes following team colours detailed in the history books, an email from the restorer and a monochrome photo of the car taken late 1970, when it had finished it's period racing career and had become a road car. Thanks go to ex-GT40P/1001 owner Terry Smith for giving me 39 historic monochrome images of the car. One shot even shows the road tax disc ending "August 1971". This car is a dream which is nearly coming true for me.. Andrew

Attachments

• 011 dawson rear.jpg
    011 dawson rear.jpg
    366.8 KB · Views: 2,101
  • 011a dawson top shoot.jpg
    011a dawson top shoot.jpg
    380.5 KB · Views: 2,001
  • 012 EMail Bodyshell P1001.jpg
    012 EMail Bodyshell P1001.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 1,952
  • passing lamberetta.jpg
    passing lamberetta.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 1,963
  • tax disc aug 71.jpg
    tax disc aug 71.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 1,775
Also, I have a dilema, which you guys might be able to help me with. The eagle-eyed amongst you will have spotted the wide upper rear grill. This grill has been present since, at least, 1967 (as observed in the attached photo of P/1001 taken at the Crystal Palace race in that year). The grill is obviously not original from FAV, but I note that as the car drove in the 1966 Le Mans (no.60), it had a much narrower grill than factory standard. My dilema is do I replace the wide grill with a standard GT40 one, or leave it wide, as it's been there for 44 years? Any comments or considerations please?

Attachments

• 013 Chassis 1001 No41 CP 67.jpg
    013 Chassis 1001 No41 CP 67.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 2,360
  • 010 original Back.jpg
    010 original Back.jpg
    395.6 KB · Views: 1,462
  • 009 good front.jpg
    009 good front.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 1,577
  • 000 1966The Start.jpg
    000 1966The Start.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 1,563
My dilema is do I replace the wide grill with a standard GT40 one, or leave it wide, as it's been there for 44 years? Any comments or considerations please?

If the wide grill is part of its history, I'd keep it. Alternately, I'd pick a point in its history (when it was brand new, when it raced at Le Mans, ...) and use that point as the basis of your restoration.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Andrew,

I think if I had a rear clip that had done Le Mans, I would definatly finish it in that style.

Most folks will not know the differance, and people who know GT40s, will ask and you can tell them the story.

It's not just the original rear clip, but the entire body including doors. P/1001 had a unique driver's air scoop in the door. I'll find some photos of that later. Unfortunately, the paint layers were so thick.. it appears the car had never been rubbed down between paint jobs when the car changed teams. that I had to have it flattened. However, no paint stripper was used, so most of the original paint has been used as the base coat and lots of photographs were taken to record it's race history. P/1001 did 50 races in the 1960s, so it's seen a lot of acton, and some of the repaired damage is still evident today, both in & outside the bodywork. I'm leaving some of the lumps and bumps as testimoney to its past.

And here's a photo of the car when it was run by Malaya Garage in Billingshurst, Sussex in 1969. By chance, a friend in the GT40 Enthusiasts Club, who's helping me trace the history, bumped into someone who drove 1001 during that time and apparently the owner was Malclolm Bridgeland and the race engine Steven Tilson. Does anyone know any contact details, as I haven't had a response frm my PM to "Bridgeland" (see above) yet? I've now got nearly 100 photos of the car during its time in the 1960s, both on and off track. I'm also getting together a complete history file, including original race programmes, results and reports in various motoring journals. Did you know 1001 was driven by, Ickx, Neerpasche, Hobbs, Hailwood, Hulme, Ireland, Lucas, Pike, Granville-Smith, Daghorn, Hailwood, Williams, schenken.. to anme but a few. Apologies for mis-spelling of names. So every time I go into my garage, I give the old girl a pat, and I can't but help think back to those glory days. I hope you enjoy the photo attached, and please note the airscoop.. Andrew

Attachments

• 035 10TH MALAYA GARAGE BILLINGSHURST DAGHORN Chassis 1001 No14 Silv 69.jpg
    035 10TH MALAYA GARAGE BILLINGSHURST DAGHORN Chassis 1001 No14 Silv 69.jpg
    427.9 KB · Views: 1,628
  • 036 12TH MALAYA GARAGE DAGHORN P1001 OULTON PARK 69.jpg
    036 12TH MALAYA GARAGE DAGHORN P1001 OULTON PARK 69.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 1,628
  • 019 1966 Kyalami No8 Spence-Hobbs.jpg
    019 1966 Kyalami No8 Spence-Hobbs.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 1,557
  • 030 LINE UP SPA MAY 68.jpg
    030 LINE UP SPA MAY 68.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 2,767
  • 022b Drivers Photographs.jpg
    022b Drivers Photographs.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 1,332

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Very cool piece of history you have there. I think I would keep it as much as possible like you have found it; although I WOULD paint it. You'll have lots of choices on colors, depending on which era you focus on....

Hi Frank, very pleased to hear from you. Yes, it's been a long journey and I have you to thank. I came up against a lot of hostality when I bought it, but you & I knew its true worth and were prepared to take a gamble with its true history. Ronnie Spain has confirmed the bodywork is bona fide by-the-way. Best wishes.. Andrew

Back