GT 40 chassis number X1, X2 Xgt2 and J2

I am trying to find out a bit more about some of the obscure GT40 cars I believe that a couple were Shelby cars and that the J2 was a GT40 Mk4 that sadly Ken miles was killed in , did any of these cars race, was J2 ever raced or just the one test, any info would be helpful.
Thanks Chris

The cars you are talking about XGT-1 (Yellow with Black stripes), XGT-2 (Silver with a matt Black bonnet) and XGT-3 (Red with white stripes) are all the Alan Mann MKII that he built at Shelbys facilities in 1966. XGT-3 was used as a spare and never raced although being present at the 1966 Le Mans. XGT-2 was Graham Hill car famous for nearly leading to the total withdrawal of all the Ford works teams. When driven by Dick Thompson crashed with P1029. However, a compromise was reached leading to Thompson being replaced by Brian Muir.
Incidentially Alan Mann wanted to race his GT40 small block lightweights but was under contract by Ford to race the MKII's at Le Mans. The Alan Mann MKII's had bug deflectors on them in the case of the XGT-2 half painted Black and White as it was positioned partly over the front roundel. They also had lightweight roofs.
You mention X1 this was chassis number GT110 made up for Can Am with a roadster body with the front from the Le Mans 1965 seven Litre Le Mans car complete with headlights. This venture was unsucessful but it was modified into a MKII spyder in 1966 and won the Sebring 12 hour race.
The J car J-2 (not a Ford GT40)
was indeed the chassised car that tragically Ken Miles lost his life in. It was totally destroyed. It was never a MKIV. J-4 was the first chassis to be modified from a J car to a MKIV. It won Sebring in 1967. J-3 was rebodied as a MKIV and used for testing only had rear fins added to its tail for stabilty. It was painted in a similar colour scheme to J-4 Yellow with Black stripes (the black stripes were broader).
J-5 (Yellow Black Stripes yet again)was the first MKIV built for Le Mans finishing 4th. J-6 (Red white stripes) was the Le Mans winner. Although there is till some debate wheither it was J-5 or J-6?
J-7 (Bronze with white stripes) and J-8 (Dark Blue with White stripes) were the Holman & Moody entries.
I am finding it hard to read your thread as I have only access to part of it and cannot see the full screen.
Regards Allan

Last edited:

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
J-6 (Red white stripes) was the Le Mans winner. Although there is till some debate wheither it was J-5 or J-6?

I think Jim G. (J-6) has settled this issue. He contends the helmet dent in the sill from Bruce McLaren is proof enough that J6 is not the red 67 winner. It was yellow then and is yellow now....................

Not trying to start a war, just happened to be re-reading the article today at lunch.

In the book-Shelby GT40 by Dave Friedman- on page 116 there is a pic of the car Miles was killed in. Car has -J7- on the front of the RH sill panel and was running Webers/Auto trans at the time.

I'm always amazed by the knowledge on this forum.Jac mac you really know a lot about all this and the attention to detail.Sometimes I feel myself stupid and small by reading all this!Greetings Emiel

If there is one person who could shed more light on this it would be Bill Eaton, he was the guy that lengthened the coupe chassis to accept the alloy 390 and was apparently sent back to the shop to fetch another tail section for this car on the day of the accident. Funny how those 58mm webers seemed to be everywhere Miles & Eaton went, which makes me wonder if this car had the alloy 390 motor as well although the fuel lines are fitted in a different manner than those in the coupe.

Due to a series of coincidences I have a specific interest in the Alloy 390 and all the cars it was associated with, hence my 'knowledge', which only comes from reading books and being fortunate enough to talk with some people who were involved with some of these projects.

Last edited:
Ken was killed in J2. J7 wasn't built at the time and their tubs are/were different. J5 is the Le Mans winner. J6 finished 4th. J2 was totally destroyed. Someone is building a car "J2" but IMO that's a joke. Some one is also building "J1" and IMO that is a joke as well.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Ken was killed in J2. J7 wasn't built at the time and their tubs are/were different. J5 is the Le Mans winner. J6 finished 4th. J2 was totally destroyed. Someone is building a car "J2" but IMO that's a joke. Some one is also building "J1" and IMO that is a joke as well.

I think the logo on the sill of J2 was "G7" as in "Group 7" the Can-Am FIA designation. Ford's intention was to race the car in the Can-Am series...however it was not to be.

Still doesnt add up- The pic of J2 in Spains book (p309), said to have been taken on that day, shows the car with no numbers, experimental tail section with large openings for the exhaust system that was being tested ( non-crossover ), and no lettering on the RH sill panel. Pic in Friedman book ( P116 )shows doors with #1, modified ( pop riveted in place )airscoop extension in door outer skin, and fwd facing scoop in center of roof.

One of the two books apparently has its dates wrong, or someone-probably one of the crew with a warped sense of humour might have been playing tricks on any press or motorsport photographers present, wouldnt be the first time it happened amongst the crews on these cars, there are several instances of both Mercedes & Ferrari badges finding their way on to GT's etc:)

J9 in G7-A form had different shaped sill panels.

Hi.

I have a photo from my late dad (who pit crewed for the ALan Mann #7 XGT2 at the '66 Le Mans) showing it arriving at the track with a silver bonnet with 2 black stripes. However it raced with a black bonnet? Now I know that Dick Tompson whacked Holmquists Scuderia GT in practice but does anyone know what happened to the bonnet?

I think the J cars were a Shelby development while the XGT cars were produced by Alan Mann. The first "J" car might have been called the X-1 I'm not sure. The Alan Mann cars were GT40 MKII's
Steve

Steve, See my posting number 2.
The J car project was started when it became apparant that the MKII was getting uncompeditive. And that Henry Ford wanted an all American car (driven by American drivers) to win Le Mans. He considered the MKII an Anglo American car. Shelby supervised the building of the 1966 Le Mans MKII; but Alan Mann MKII's were assembled by Alan Mann mechnics at the Shelby facilities. The 'J' car project was first called the GT-P (prototype) and was nicknamed/called the J car later; its chassis were prefix 'J' after the J regulations.
True Shelby was used for this project by Ford. It was the transformation in a short peroid of the J car into the MKIV to try and get a stable fast car. There is a great picture of the J car being transformed into the MKIV with Phil Remington in the background. This GT-P project started in 1966 (ending with the MKIV) parrallel with the development of the MKII (into its final form the 1967 MKIIB).
As for XGT-2 the Graham Hill Holman and Moody car the Black painted bonnet happened after the crash with P1029. I thought originally it was painted this colour because of reflection problems but it might be just the way it was repaired?
Regards Allan

Last edited:
A little bird tells me that XGT2 is back in the UK and may be attending the GFoS. Any one know any more?

Andy can your lips be parted enough to tell me if it will be at the GFoS on the friday? running or static display? Cheers

Guess whos a happy bunny :)

Attachments

• DSC_4462.jpg
    DSC_4462.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 786
Goodwood FOS
AMGT2
Driver with car is Scotsman Gregor Fisken...he tends to the car in the UK

FOS2019001.jpg

and the business end

FOS2019040.jpg

FOS2019011.jpg

In the UK Maxted-Page have 1085 and Roadster GT111 for sale

Last edited:

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I love those old E&F stickers on the valve covers...someone ought to knock those off so all of us wannabes can stick them on the engine......very cool.

Back