GT40 road car chassis number?

Hi guys,

I first saw this bone-stock, low-mileage, all-original GT40 road car at Pebble Beach about ten years ago. More recently I saw it at the GT40 reunion at Elkhart Lake this summer.

IMG_3638.jpg

It's owned by a plastic surgeon from New York who shares his name with a somewhat well-known rock star. The thing is, I've completely forgotten the chassis number of this car.

Does anybody know?

THANKS!

Ron McCall

Supporter
I don't know the chassis number, but why doesn't it have the typical Mk 3 hinged windows?

It's not a MK3. It is a MK1 road car.

I don't know the chassis # but here are a few pictures I took of it at RA.

Attachments

• 100_1842-2.jpg
    100_1842-2.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 1,340
  • 100_1845-2.jpg
    100_1845-2.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 1,236
  • John's 056.jpg
    John's 056.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 1,024
Last edited:

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I like the wire wheels, gives it the 60s look. The color is excellent also, wonder if its the orginal color.

Keith

Believe it or not Jack, it may have been red with white stripes in the '60's looking back to a post from 2002, but I definitely know it wasn't from Dearborn... :)

This was 1 of the roughly 28 surplus MK1s built up and shipped to FORD Dearborn to go thru the disposal program. This was a very drawn out deal to get rid of the very expensive and unspoken for strret versions of a race car at a price of $17,500. These cars were hauled around to dealers for promotion until somebody made Ford an offer on them. Most sold for 8-12k and took years to move. Greg Kolasa goes into much more detail about this program in the newest GT40-Cobra world registry.

Keith

Using Dearborn moniker to identify the batch. Gotcha! :thumbsup:

Can you imagine getting 'stuck' with that lot today? :stunned:

Hi Guys I am sure I have photos of this car when it was sprayed a light metallic Green at Duncan Hamiltons in the 1980's. I was always under the impression there were 31 road MKI's. From Ronnie Spains book this car first colour was Diamond Mettalic Blue.
It is realy good to see a road car in excellent condition. It a shame that the new GT40-Cobra world registry is so expensive.
Regards Allan

In 1990 I painted the car red with white stripes when it was owned by Al Copeland, founder of Popeye's Chicken. It sold at a Kruse Auction in Scottsdale AZ in 1992 for $780K. I displayed it at the NACE auto body show in New Orleans in 1990. It was a metallic green when he bought it at Christies Auction.

Attachments

• gt40P.jpg
    gt40P.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 905
Last edited:
Here are a couple of pictures of 1045 taken in New Orleans in 1990. Notice the sign " Road Version" It is nice to know where the car is now.

Attachments

• 1045.jpg
    1045.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 1,077
  • 1045a.jpg
    1045a.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 1,081
Last edited:
Hi Gerard

Just slightly confused here as I thought the Al Copland car which he bought from Colin Hyams after it was shipped from UK to Aus was 1030 not 1045 ?????

Or is Al COPELAND a different guy to AL Copland from Oz?

Cheers

Paulus

Hi Gerard

Just slightly confused here as I thought the Al Copland car which he bought from Colin Hyams after it was shipped from UK to Aus was 1030 not 1045 ?????

Or is Al COPELAND a different guy to AL Copland from Oz?

That is confusing.

Alec Copeland bought 1030 from Colin Hyams in OZ

Alvin Copeland is the founder of Popeye's Restaurant (I have no idea if he ever owned a GT40 or not).

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
I spoke with the owner at length; he's a super-nice guy and very laid back, a plastic surgeon. He told me that he routinely gets up early on a weekend morning and takes the car out and drives it on the road. Good man! :thumbsup:

Another pic taken at RA 2009 GT40 Reunion. This one at the street show in town. Owner is in the center of this pic and yes, as Mike says, very laid back especially considering all the people extremely close to his car at various times. I swear I saw him grimace a bit when kids were close to rubbing it, but he didn't say anything. I think I was more nervous about his car than he was!

Attachments

• P1045.JPG
    P1045.JPG
    633.3 KB · Views: 1,291
I can't tell too well from the pics, but did some of the MKI road cars have seats more like a MkIII ? Doesn't seem to be the grommet type seat.

Back