Something special about P1066

Hello gt40s.com,
Sorry for jumping right into posting without formally introducing myself. My name is Sheena Monk and I believe I have something exciting for the true gt40 lover. I've grown up with a love for automobiles, thanks to my father and grandfather. My passion lay mostly in foreign exotics, however, I've always appreciated Fords and their extensive history. That being said, growing up my dad shared with me the extraordinary stories of cars that have gone through the family's ownership. Recently, my dad was cleaning out some closets and came across these incredible photos. I hope to find more and share them with people who can appreciate their rareness. I'm also looking for any information on this car, who owns it, etc. To Lee Giannone and your post "How do you find an original Gold GT40 - maybe a Mk III," that was absolutely my grandfather at the Mercer airport, as he kept his planes and helicopter there. Enjoy!

Attachments

• GT40a.jpg
    GT40a.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 1,157
  • GT40b.jpg
    GT40b.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 1,131
  • GT40c.jpg
    GT40c.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 1,155
  • GT40d.jpg
    GT40d.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 1,029
  • GT40e.jpg
    GT40e.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 1,141
  • GT40f.jpg
    GT40f.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 1,133
  • GT40g.jpg
    GT40g.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 1,012

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
This is very welcome and very cool, to see these photos of the car as it was then- looks like it has a road car interior and wire wheels. Thanks so much for putting these up where we can all enjoy them.

Keith

Nice Sheena, thanks :thumbsup:.

These originals have a much better 'stance' vis a vis the relationship between wheels and wheelarches than many (if not most) of the replicas with one or two notable exceptions.

The Pantera guy (who's name escapes me for the moment) with an RCR is probably the best example of a replica with all the right stuff as regards stance.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter

These originals have a much better 'stance' vis a vis the relationship between wheels and wheelarches than many (if not most) of the replicas with one or two notable exceptions.

The Pantera guy (who's name escapes me for the moment) with an RCR is probably the best example of a replica with all the right stuff as regards stance.

A lot of that "stance" is due to tall, fairly narrow tires that we can't get today. Then again, if most any of you drove on those 1960's tires today you would promptly declare them "right shit" and post about how dangerous they are! I saw 1066 at the Glen when those pictures were taken (I was standing next to "Fitter" who took them) and we both remarked about a GT40 running on some crappy street tires.........

Ron McCall

Supporter

That's me . And thanks! ;)

According to Ronnie Spains book it was dispatched on 23/12/66 painted Opalesent Silver Grey. It was in Mk1 road car spec with Black road trim running on Borrani wire wheels. It was sold new to a Ford dealer Al Grillo in Lynn Massachusetts. Then sold to Robert Monk (Sheena is this your father?) who had it sprayed Gold mist. In 1968 it was sold to Herb Wetanson of Long Island New York.In 1973 it was imported to the UK by Hexagon of Highgate. It was painted in Gulf colours with narrow bodywork and wire wheels. In 1974 it was sold to T C Harrisons Ltd Ford main Dealers of Sheffield. They have it registerd as TCH 102. Sheena I hope this helps.
Regards Allan

looks more like a mk1 roadcar?
mk3 mostly has other side windows which could open a bit? and looks/is longer...

nice pictures from that time, cool.

Back