Sbarro 2079/1023 Coys Padua Oct 23

Padova Auction - Auto e Moto d'Epoca

Fia papers so I guess it belongs here !

No estimate but : "With the current price for Ford GT40 racing models near to $2,000,000.00. no.2079 1 1023 offers the buyer a car capable of competing on equal terms with FORD’s finest at a fraction of the price."

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Interesting the way they've described this: Sbarro was found guilty of fraud in a European court for attempting to fake 1040, so they are being far more truthful in their description of this car than he was when he built it.

You can always depend on an auction company to strictly describe the facts as they are, especially Coys. Not.

Fake ok! But this Sbarro cars do have the most sexiest rear flare design of all GT40´s
52_206_3.JPG

biga.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn71/schwabtom/PREFERRED/biga.jpg?t=1287072288TOM

"The car then came to Italy and was used for some years in historic races and WCIS mistakenly thought it to be no.1023. "

How did they "mistakenly" think it was 1023?

It's a Sbarro, nothing more nor less. Not one single part has any association with 1023. Sbarro's are not built to 'exact' GT40 specs (assuming one uses the dictionary definition of the word 'exact') On Planet Sbarro, chassis numbers are like sweeties, to be distributed at will....
Guess who had a 1 hour 45 minute conversation with a Mr. R. Spain last night!

I'm assuming 1023 (sans original chassis plate) was resurrected by somebody else and thus there were two 1023s out there - one "faux" one by Sbarro and one by some restorer.

Frankly, if 1023 was wrecked hard, and Sbarro did indeed purchase and use the transaxle, engine, and suspension from 1023 on a new chassis then the Sbarro car is probably as much "original" as 1023 by this point.

But, obviously, sounds like it wasn't all upfront and Sbarro's reputation suffers accordingly....

I'm assuming 1023 (sans original chassis plate) was resurrected by somebody else and thus there were two 1023s out there - one "faux" one by Sbarro and one by some restorer.

Frankly, if 1023 was wrecked hard, and Sbarro did indeed purchase and use the transaxle, engine, and suspension from 1023 on a new chassis then the Sbarro car is probably as much "original" as 1023 by this point.

But, obviously, sounds like it wasn't all upfront and Sbarro's reputation suffers accordingly....

Not sure that the history of 1023 as recounted in the auction house material is all that accurate.

Here is Ronnie Spain's history of 1023:

GT 40: An Individual History and ... - Google Books

Agreed Ian, 1023 never seemed to have passed through the Filipenetti workshops so how did Sbarro "acquire" 1023 parts to construct this????

Keith

Yeah, load of BS from this (Sab) guy, but, he does build some great looking cars. Why the fuck did he have to taint his great reputation with this kind of subterfuge?

Has anyone here ever met or even know him?

I would personally like to know more. All I know about Sab is what's in the public domain and a whole heap of speculation... :worried:

PS Did I mention he builds great cars? :)

So, curious...

Keith

Genius....

It begs the question: was he "commisioned" to build "fakes"?

Or did he exploit peoples blinkered expectations?

Nobody can argue that he makes some great replicas but they should be regarded as replicas and no more than that. He has always had this thing in his head that every GT40-shaped car he made was in some way connected to a genuine GT40, to the extent that he is on record as changing his story - and chassis numbers! - during the course of a court case! And only he could get away with it (assisted by incompetent lawyers and dozing judges)....allegedly.....

Sbarro may be guilty, but the car is innocent. I'd rather have this, than any other replica because of its interesting, although notorious, history.

Back