GT40 P1033 Sale

Jimmy, it's been on sale there for 2 - 3 months at least. I stopped by there once to check out the car (and maybe take a few photos), but it wasn't parked in the "public" showroom; instead I was told that it was in the "back showroom", where it would be shown to interested individuals by Mr. Canepa.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Eric,

I was there yesterday, it is now front & center downstairs. No price is shown, if you have to ask.......

Keith

I find it ironic and slightly disconcerting that this car has been presented (visually at least) as a Filipinetti team car (which I'm pretty sure it wasn't) rather in the manner one would treat a replica.

Surely the value of an original race car lies in maintaining it's best known appearance?

One final question - is the 302 motor the correct one for Historic Racing eligibility? I would have thought it had to be a 289... or perhaps the rules in the US are not as stringent.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Keith,

You are right, the info sheet on the car says that is was delivered to Filipenetti as a street car, and was modified with electric windows and other street gear.

Later in 1968 it was sold and only then converted to a racer. Not much of a racing history and none with Filipenetti.

As for the 302, the Gulf MK1 that won Le Mans in 68-69 ran 302s'

All that said it appears to be an original GT40 and sure is beautiful.

Last edited:

Ron Earp

Admin
One final question - is the 302 motor the correct one for Historic Racing eligibility? I would have thought it had to be a 289... or perhaps the rules in the US are not as stringent.

Probably about as stringent as the ones in the UK. Like when at Goodwood we saw the original P10XX sporting roller rockers, an electronic MSD billet dizzy, and a rumored stroker crank.

Keith

True, I was thinking more of FIA Post Historics which are extremely stringent, at least in Europe anyway. I have a friend who races a '65 Mustang in FIA Series and it is more original than the originals!

It is a nice car no doubt (1033) but still find it odd about the Filipinetti scheme..not to mention the bling valve covers and chrome spings...

Each to their own.. :quirk:

Keith, I'm with you mate. This car, while stunning to observe, has been somewhat "tarted up." I noted the cam covers and the springs as well and the fact its not in "original" racing dress is disappointing. If I were ever able to afford such a car I would certainly want the patina to come with it. While at Amelia Island a few years back they had a nice gathering of 917's on display and the one that caught my eye was the one that looked tattered and torn and carried that smell we all know and love of a car from a different time. I wish the owner would have just allowed me to sit in the car so I could immerse myself in all that history. But, in saying all this.....I wouldn't throw this GT 40 out of my garage for leaking oil thats for sure!!

Does being owned by Franco Sbarro for two years affect its value?

"Sometime in 1970, the car sustained some fire damage and was later sold to Franco Sbarro in 1972."

Ron Earp

Admin
Does being owned by Franco Sbarro for two years affect its value?

"Sometime in 1970, the car sustained some fire damage and was later sold to Franco Sbarro in 1972."

Doh!

After that ownership you'd have to be sure that P1033 is really P1033.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Not only that, but apparently after the fire, Mr Sbarro added a new "tub".

Although the notes say that this one has been confirmed by Ronnie Spain as original, you have to wonder. Additionally, what did Mr Sbarro do with the old, fire dammaged "original" P1033 tub?

GT111?
P1000?

Last edited:
Back